• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Touchscreens are Overrated

excellent article. I'v benn a cell phone owner since 1994 when i got my first nokia triband in Tokyo while stationed over there. i have not had a landlines in over 12 years now. phones have come so far since then and they get better and better every day it seems. i am lightning fast ona phyical keyboard but just type like a 5 year old on the touch keyboard. with the touchscreens i feel like a cave man finger pecking at 3 wpm. i with i were better at it because the touch only phones are very smooth and quite nice on the pockets. i see hope on the horizon though, the tiem i have spent test driving the incredible has been enjoyable and i can almost type normally on it when held sideways.

i'm excited about this summer and the rumors of the droid2 and shadow coming to verizon. i really like the droid and the incredible, even though the drod's keyboard is not as nice as my old i760 which had a dedicated row for numbers. so if the new phones expected to drop this summer as much better than hoped for, i will finally have another phone that lasts me a few years.

Upvote 0
Me personally, now being a backflip owner (previously a owner of a blackberry bold which had a fabolus qwerty keyboard), I can honestly say now at this point the backflip is definately the best phone I have ever owned. My friend has a droid that I use quite often, yet I prefer the backflip. I know the droid obv. Has better specs, but its the dynamics of the keyboard and the interface on the backflip is more of my liking.

Upvote 0
actually, the best physical keyboards are full keyboards which are to big to share the same space with the screen, I.E. flip/slider phones. the best i ever had was my last phone, samsung i760 slider. almost full screen it shared with a number pad plus a nice physical keyboard when you slid the screen sideways. and it awesomely had slot on the side for the micro sd that i used in my camera as well as for all my files that i used in the field and office. that micro sd fit into a thumb drive so i could use it on the desktop, in my cam and on my phone. being able to do reports in the field on my phone saved me 2 to 3 hours a day doing end of shift reports. bricking that phone made me so sad since i could not get another and had to settle for half the phone.

Upvote 0
Any pda-like work on my Galaxy is a slow, slow affair. This is exactly because of the crummy touch screen keyboard.

I've had a Psion Revo with a big screen and equally big physical keyboard (landscape clamshell style). My brother even touch-typed on his Psion Series 5. There's no way a touch screen can match that, because of the lack of tactile feedback about the edges of individual key caps.

My last pda was a Palm Tungsten T3, which supported not only handwriting recognition, but transparent and full-screen (so it didn't use any UI real estate) and customizable (so I could make my own strokes for "

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones