• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Trackball / Cursor Issues...help!

crankyanne

Lurker
Feb 10, 2010
Does anyone else have issues with the trackball and/or cursor moving on its own? This is making typing anything (txts, emails, urls etc) impossible! My hand is not brushing the trackball, nor is the phone moving - so it's got to be on its own. In fact, the cursor moves while the phone is set down and not in my hand. Im about ready to scream...I can't type one word without the cursor moving back so many letters and inserting what Im typing where its not meant to be...deleting the resulting error is even a chore as the cursor is uncontrollable :(

Should I return the phone? Any ideas what could be causing it?? THANKS for any help!! Seriously, this phone is about to go out the window!!

The trackball is very sensitive and it does take some getting used to but I haven't experienced the cursor jumping around. Mostly I use the trackball to edit text (to place the cursor where I want) or to highlight some text for copying/pasting. As for using it like a mouse to move your cursor from place to place in an app, it is not really meant for that I don't think. And why would you need it with a touch screen. But for what it does, it is pretty cool and nice to have. have you tried to recalibrate your g-sensor under your settings? not sure if that would help but maybe.

Upvote 0
OK I think I just figured it out. When I plugged the charger into the phone that's when it started again. Then to see if I was right, I unplugged it to find that it stopped. Now I think its getting a loose collection because if I tilt the charger cable one way it will stop moving also.. I just discovered this out so I hope that with a new charger it won't do it and hopefully it doesn't do it on its own, without being plugged in...

Upvote 0
I am also having this issue. It just started doing this a couple of days ago while charging through the usb port on my macbook pro, using the OEM usb cord. then last night it started doing it while completely unplugged. The problem is much worse while charging, but still consistent enough while unplugged to make the phone infuriating to use.

Has anyone found a real solution to this problem? Factory reset? call Verizon and get a replacement?

Upvote 0
Sorry to bump this thread. I too have this issue. I've had my phone for only two weeks and it started a week ago, but only while plugged in. Now its too the point where it happens just as often while unplugged. I updated my firmware to 2.1 and the problem persists so its definitely a hardware problem. Has anyone been able to fix it? I'd take it to Verizon but i have the 2.1 firmware. I basically can't use the phone at the moment and don't know if I can wait until they release the new firmware. I hear this is a common issue, how many people have experienced it.

Upvote 0
The Verizon Rep I talked to (yes i've had my phone replaced because of this issue) said that the trackball senses left scrolls whenever you put pressure on the charging port (slightest pressure). The cause of the issue is the 2.1 update that was rolled out, he did say they would come out with an update to fix this but god knows when it will come out.

Upvote 0
I am on second replacement and have been experiencing the track ball issue. Verizon says it is not a known issue. I have been fighting a losing battle for the past two months to get a replacement device with NO Track Ball. A simple google search gets us 350K plus hits. Even if 1% of that were genuine complaints, we have enough "lemons". And if some one said it was not a hardware problem, they don't know what they don't know what they are talking about. It is a design issue/known issue. See my post at: Re: Trackball on Droid Eris - Verizon | Forums and Blogs - Verizon Community

The phone is simply not powerful enough to handle the load.
All that and more, is precisely the reason why HTC Incredible was released in such quick succession. HTC Droid Eris is like a kid born with genetic disorders.

The USB port below the Track ball assembly is leading to a structural integrity issue and is leading to fractured contacts. And precisely the reason why Incredible has no "track ball".

I will follow up with both Verizon and HTC until I get a satisfactory outcome.

Is any body aware of a Class Action Suite? I would like to join one.

Upvote 0
Also when I talked to a.version tech, he said that maybe it could be a app that might be faulty or have a corruption in it. I don't know if that is true, but thought you would like to know.

they told me the same thing a month ago, as did HTC, ive done 2 FDR, and erased EVERYTHING, ive cleaned it and nope, still having issues, ive noticed that when plugged in its more often or even if im using my phone for a solid 20minutes, its rather annoying, its goes CONSTANTLY to the left and so hard to type, im going in today to see what they can do about that among other issues, ill tell u wat they say or do! :)

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones