• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Transferring music between Android phones

GregwGA

Mar 14, 2011
I have a Motorola Mini (XT030) that has most of my music on it. Some of my music is stored on the cloud but most of it is offline on the phone itself. When I go into some of the apps I have on my phone, like Amazon or Google music apps, I can see all the songs in the offline library. I would have suspected the way to port them over to my new phone, Motorola Moto X (XT060) would be to plug the Mini into the USB port of my laptop and then look for them in the MUSIC folder using Windows Explorer. However, when I do this and look in the MUSIC folder only a small number of the songs show up. I have even tried searching the entire phone using Windows Explorer but some of the songs that are listed on my phone don't show up in the search.

So, several questions:
  1. Why don't the songs show up in the MUSIC folder of my phone and why doesn't Windows Explorer find them when I do a search.
  2. How do I get the songs ported from one phone to another
And, yes, I am sure I am looking in the offline library and not the cloud. This is really frustrating when I purchase music on one phone and then I can't use it on my new phone.

How did you get them offline? If you did so by downloading from Google Play or Amazon, then they'll be in a hidden folder you can't access. However they should still be available for download on your new phone from their corresponding services.

When I purchased them from Amazon, I had the option of storing them on my phone or on the cloud, I chose my phone. I am trying to avoid going through the bureaucracy of contacting Amazon or Google to have them tell me how to get the music off one phone and onto another one. I'd hate to think I have to purchase them all over again just because I got a new phone

Reactions: chanchan05
Upvote 0
When I purchased them from Amazon, I had the option of storing them on my phone or on the cloud, I chose my phone. I am trying to avoid going through the bureaucracy of contacting Amazon or Google to have them tell me how to get the music off one phone and onto another one. I'd hate to think I have to purchase them all over again just because I got a new phone
You dont have to purchase them again. They should be tied to your account like paid apps on Google. At least for Google Music. All you do is log in on your new phone, browse your library and set them to offline.

Not much idea if Amazon works like this. No music service in my country from them.

Upvote 0
Yea they encrypt and hide the music files for copyright purposes. I think you are allowed to have the music downloaded from Amazon on about 3/5 devices at the same time so if you just open Amazon Music on your new phone, open your library and the option is there "Purchased". Press the three dot menu next to that and download. I think then if you aren't using the old Moto any more you may want to de register the device so that you can download the music on more devices again if need be.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones