• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Unable to succesfully restore backups on Oneplus 6

I am having an issue with TWRP 3.3.1-18 at the moment and wonder what I am doing wrong. I backed up my Oneplus 6 in February then the phone offered my a system updat at the weekend which I accepted. I later went to use Titanium backup then realised I had lost roots rights due to the update so I reflashed (TWRP if I remember) and Magisk, however the phone got stuck in the bootloop where 2 white dots were spinning around a red circle. After searching and trying one thing after another I resolved it by using the msm download tool. Onto the TWRP issue. After the phone was recovered and all the updates to Android 10 was accepted and bootloader unlocked, TWRP and Magisk 20.5 flashed, I restored my February backup which is possibly Android 9. When I rebooted I was then in a fastboot loop. I again restored using the MSM tool and tried again, the same happened. The next time I first backed up the new Android 10 system after the update then tried to restore the February backup one last time (cleared the dalvik and factory reset) but had the same issue so after restoring one more time I instead tried to restore the new nandroid backup and have the same issues. Can anyone suggest why this is happening with my TWRP backups?

Last edited:
Welcone to Android Forums @Westindieman :)

Its possible that your Android 10 OS has a higher aboot/fuse, if it does that will prevent downgrading your bootloader and modem. If your attempting to flash a backup with a lower bootloader/modem it will definitely cause issues. I can say for certain but it's worth looking into.
What happens if you flash an Android 10 rom?

Reactions: ocnbrze
Upvote 0
one rule of thumb is that you should never update your phone that is rooted. if there is a development community for your phone, then all you would have to do is wait for a rooted version of the update.

edit: another thing is that if you do update a rooted phone you most likely will loose root as you are experiencing. also updates usually will have securities that could close the root exploit, and thus you might not be able to root the phone again.

Reactions: MrJavi
Upvote 0
Thanks for your replies, I was updated from someone more experienced with TWP that it was because I was trying to restore a different system onto a newer unlocked system and it has to be the same system. Im sorted now anyway, i stuck with Android 10 stock and restored most things from my google backup and other things using Titanium after I rooted.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones