• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Unfortunately Contacts has stopped...

Welshie

Lurker
Feb 20, 2014
I have a new ish (6 weeks or so) Moto X running 4.4 Kit Kat on Verizon.

Yesterday I went to go into my Contacts App (it's called People) and I get the error message "Unfortunately Contacts has stopped" and the app shuts down. This is the default contacts app that comes with the phone. I'm guessing that an app that I have downloaded has caused a conflict of some kind but I was wondering if anyone could help me with this as I really don't want to factory reset the phone and install all the apps all over again. I'd be more than happy to upgrade to a different app for managing my contacts if someone can recommend a good app and if they feel this would also fix the problem.

I can see my contacts from other apps. Example, if I want to make a call I can start entering a person's name and it will show all the matching contacts. Same if I want to send a text. It's just the "People" program itself that shuts down with the error if I try to use it.

Any help....please???

Try the following on the order listed ...

Re-boot your phone (power off/power on).

If you got to KK by upgrading from JB ... did you do a Factory Data Reset after the upgrade?

Clear the Data Cache Partition. It will only remove temporary data.

Try running in Safe Mode (disabling all apps you added without uninstalling them). If the problem stops it is caused by an app that you added.

... Thom

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones