• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Unknown Artist, Missing Album Art...Is there a fix?

aazer

Lurker
Jun 14, 2010
All songs show correctly in my itunes library. I've tried various music player apps and some find album art, but none of them read the artist tag.
After researching the problem, it looks like ID3 tags come in different versions, and android is reading an older version tag than most other music players.

Anyone else having this problem?
Unfortunately, my best fix has been this:
1. add music to device and see what's broken
2. use software (mp3tag) to manually edit all ID3 tag versions associated with the files on my pc
3. delete old files and add the corrected music files

any chance there's a program that will automatically copy the ID3v2.4 tags to ID3v1 and ID3v2?
Right now, I'm going one album at a time and mp3tag has a hand search function, but I have a lot of mixtape rips so i think it's going to be a pain to edit those files one by one.

(EVO)

All songs show correctly in my itunes library. I've tried various music player apps and some find album art, but none of them read the artist tag.
After researching the problem, it looks like ID3 tags come in different versions, and android is reading an older version tag than most other music players.

Anyone else having this problem?
Unfortunately, my best fix has been this:
1. add music to device and see what's broken
2. use software (mp3tag) to manually edit all ID3 tag versions associated with the files on my pc
3. delete old files and add the corrected music files

any chance there's a program that will automatically copy the ID3v2.4 tags to ID3v1 and ID3v2?
Right now, I'm going one album at a time and mp3tag has a hand search function, but I have a lot of mixtape rips so i think it's going to be a pain to edit those files one by one.

(EVO)
Album Art Grabber automatically goes through all the music on your phone and finds the album art for each one.
Album Art Grabber - Android app on AppBrain

Upvote 0
In itunes select all your music and right click, convert id3 version, select 2.2 from the dropdown. id3 v2.4, believe it or not, is still not being widely implemented among newer devices. (Even the iphone) My entire itunes library is v2.2 (converted in itunes) and my N1 reads all data correctly. There is no reason to go down all the way to v1

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones