• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Update: 2.1 OS upgrade for Rogers HTC Magic+

Update went well and it's working relatively flawlessly on my side. I did get an error msg about the version of swype I have installed may not work with 2.1. Anyone else have a problem with Swype? Is anyone using Shapewriter and is that working?
Also, I can't seem to find talk to text, where you can dictate an email. Thought that was available on regular 2.1...Do I have to download an app? I did change keyboard back to regular instead of swype and don't see the button to dictate.

Mary, do you have a feature list of what has been upated for us?
Also, any luck in confirming how Rogers knows we are tethering vs using data on our phone? I just upgraded to 1 gb data plan and started using PDAnet again, but I'm really not confident I won't be billed if I go over 1 gb because I don't see how Rogers knows I'm using tether on an HTC device.

Upvote 0
I did get a force close once the phone booted into the O/S the first time and was doing the spinning progress meter.

But it finished anyway and seems to be ok now. My apps are still there, but my contacts are gone.

I just did a gmail synch from settings and that brought them all back. Thanks mjschmidt!

Loving it so far, very quick and smooth. :)
So with more news that 2.2 is coming to OTHER Magic users, are we getting any of that love on Rogers?

Upvote 0
Also, any luck in confirming how Rogers knows we are tethering vs using data on our phone? I just upgraded to 1 gb data plan and started using PDAnet again, but I'm really not confident I won't be billed if I go over 1 gb because I don't see how Rogers knows I'm using tether on an HTC device.

Why would you not be billed for going over 1GB? It's my understanding that all data use, be it on device or tethering, comes out of your data pool. Rogers just only wants people to tether if they have a minimum of 1GB. So even if you only tether, you still only get 1GB.

Upvote 0
Where are these widgets???

htc-wildfire_friend-stream.jpg

htcdesirevsiphone_3.jpg

Upvote 0
So with more news that 2.2 is coming to OTHER Magic users, are we getting any of that love on Rogers?

RogersMary has stated officially that we will NOT be getting 2.2.

I cannot confirm, but I get the feeling there may be some bad feelings between Rogers and HTC over the 2.1 update 9and the 911 bug!). Again, that's just my opinion.

Upvote 0
@Variant: I believe those are pictures of the HTC Desire? Maybe the Sense UI on the Desire has widets that don't come with Sense on the Magic with 2.1?

Remember, Sense UI (those widgets you are showing) is NOT the same thing as Android 2.1.

Sense UI is made my HTC (and slapped on top of Android) while Android 2.1 comes from Google (and then HTC has its way with it).

Upvote 0
I realize that, I'm just wondering why they would have removed them from sense. They're simply widgets, the shouldn't take anymore processing power (especially the new versions of mail and messages).

It's possible it was an issue with space, rather than processing power, or that, for one reason or another, they couldn't or wouldn't add it to the Magic 2.1 update (as opposed to removing it).

Upvote 0
Can someone please test voicedialing using a bluetooth headset Under original 1.5 we could launch a call by pressing the button on a bluetooth headset, say a name from the contacts, and use that to dial.

We lost that feature after the 911 bug fix (and anyone who bought a Magic+ never had it), and it was supposed to be fixed in this update.

Also, has anyone tried animated wallpapers on the Magic now?

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones