• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Update coming, but not 2.2

Yeah. I'm talking stock after 2.2. I'm hoping it does so it won't be a factor for people who didn't purchase it due to it being all binged up. I'm hoping it will attract more users to our growing community.

fair enough...ive kinda become a root snob, i figure if it can be done by rooting then its pretty much a non-issue :D

but i do realize thats not for everyone

Upvote 0
P

Does this mean the search button will do google search if we choose it?

Yes. In the settings menu, there are no "Search" options until you install Google Search from the market (available in 2.2 and higher ROMs). Then you will have the search setting to change the default search provider which changes the widget and the search button.

Upvote 0
Yes. In the settings menu, there are no "Search" options until you install Google Search from the market (available in 2.2 and higher ROMs). Then you will have the search setting to change the default search provider which changes the widget and the search button.

That sounds like great news then. The fascinates biggest ding (or bing) against it in reviews was that Bing was the default. Now if they fix the GPS this will be amazing :)

Upvote 0
It's great that there's an update coming.. but it then just begs 2 questions:

1) If this is just providing some fixes to known issues with the phone, why has it taken this long given it's not an upgrade to 2.2?
1) If 2.2 were close to being available, wouldn't Samsung/VZW just bundle this update with the upgrade to 2.2? Apply fixes, make the software 2.2 compatible, and then apply the upgrade of the OS to 2.2.

Upvote 0
My brother doing boot camp in Oklahoma apparently just got an OTA for his Fascinate. Supposedly the OTA bricked his phone, freezing it at the home screen. His phone was rooted, but stock kernel and ROM.

Because he was pissed, I was having a hard time figuring out exactly what happened. From what I can gather, the OTA was for DI-10?? I'm not positive though.

Has anyone else received an OTA recently?

Upvote 0
My brother doing boot camp in Oklahoma apparently just got an OTA for his Fascinate. Supposedly the OTA bricked his phone, freezing it at the home screen. His phone was rooted, but stock kernel and ROM.

Because he was pissed, I was having a hard time figuring out exactly what happened. From what I can gather, the OTA was for DI-10?? I'm not positive though.

Has anyone else received an OTA recently?

i cant say that ive gotten the ota (but really i can't get it anyway with how my phone is customized) but reasons like that are why i avoid otas like the plague.

id gather thousands of droid x and droid 1s were bricked by froyo otas, as verizon has no clue how to release a non-broken over the air update. :mad:

Upvote 0
It's great that there's an update coming.. but it then just begs 2 questions:

1) If this is just providing some fixes to known issues with the phone, why has it taken this long given it's not an upgrade to 2.2?
1) If 2.2 were close to being available, wouldn't Samsung/VZW just bundle this update with the upgrade to 2.2? Apply fixes, make the software 2.2 compatible, and then apply the upgrade of the OS to 2.2.

The way it is being explained to me it almost sounds like this update is needed for 2.2 to run properly. I get the impression that 2.2 was set up with these fixes already in place. I have a feeling that VZW has been testing this update and that they were pretty close to releasing it when Samsung gave them 2.2. Since the update was already put together there really wasn't a need to re bundle everything.

So, any word on when this will be released? And what fixes it contains?

Date? No, not yet. I should hopefully have a list of the updates sometime this week. :D

Upvote 0
I just went to Verizon to have them troubleshoot a problem I was having with my phone after trying to root my phone. I did a stock reset in recovery mode and couldn't access the market. They made a call and told me a "new software update is coming by the end of this week". I asked if it was 2.2 and he said he didn't ask because he figured it had 2.2 already. He didn't give me a definitive date, but said by the end of the week...

Upvote 0
I just went to Verizon to have them troubleshoot a problem I was having with my phone after trying to root my phone. I did a stock reset in recovery mode and couldn't access the market. They made a call and told me a "new software update is coming by the end of this week". I asked if it was 2.2 and he said he didn't ask because he figured it had 2.2 already. He didn't give me a definitive date, but said by the end of the week...

you will not get "real" information from a vzw store. you ll get speculation at best and if they do know inside info they wont share it with you.

just my .02 :)

Upvote 0
Ugh. While I do enjoy trolling these forums for 2.2 info, @sarahintampa says 2.2 is released by Samsung now, I just want the darn update already.

I just checked and I don't have an OTA update available for this 'interim' update.

Guess I'll just keep popping in until my personal 'root cuz I'm sick of waiting to get Bing off this thing' date of the week after Thanksgiving.

Upvote 0
you will not get "real" information from a vzw store. you ll get speculation at best and if they do know inside info they wont share it with you.

just my .02 :)

Maybe I didn't explain myself well enough but he got the info from the tech on the phone and that it is already has been rolled out and its in its initial phase and everyone else will have it by the end of the week...

I'm in OK BTW...

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones