• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Update Samsung i8160

pengyou

Feb 17, 2011
North Dakota
It seems that there is an update for my Samsung Galaxy II (i8160) I have never done this before but I know that there are many webpages that can help me. My questions are about the contents of this update. Updating a phone is similar to erasing a hard drive on a computer and installing a new OS. My question: will the update for my Samsung contain all of the Samsung apps (that I have yet to use)? I wish that I could just install the root of the OS and the necessary drivers, and then install only the apps that I want.

Am I dreaming?

There's no way of telling what an update will contain without installing it (unless you are rooted, in which case you could download it then copy it elsewhere and see what it contains, but then official updates on rooted phones are generally a bad idea). Otherwise your best bet is if you can find other people with the same model, same software version, same carrier who have installed the update and ask what changed.

Updates can be anything from just adding a couple of carrier bloatware apps to a complete new OS version. Commonly they are patches, which change just part of the system, rather than complete replacements. Its likely that all of the pre-installed Samsung apps will remain afterwards, but it's possible that they may change (including additions or removals).

If you want a bare-bones installation your best bet is to root and work with custom ROMs. Even then, these come as complete packages, but you have more control in that you can choose which you install and can customise further yourself. But once you go that way you don't have official updates any more, and have to manage things yourself. Note that there is no "generic" android you can install on any device: it always has to be built for the specific hardware, so your starting point always has to be a ROM that was built for the i8160.

Upvote 0
Thanks! Yes I have the galaxy ace 2. I will experiment. The phone is getting a little bit sluggish, and only has android 2.3 on it :( I will try to upgrade it to 4.x.
Are you aware of Samsung Kies? if you have a computer you can update your phone with that.

Beware of JellyBean 4.1.2 which is the latest version as upgrading from Gingerbread 2 3.6 could make you wish you'd stayed with it as JB can also be sluggish.

I begin to wonder if we blame the system version when actually after a year or so it's just the phones hardware tiring out.

I say this as my phone is forever freezing or really slow plus videos can be a nightmare, and my device storage isn't full.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones