• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root [UPDATED 8/8/12]Breath of fresh air....an update

Code:
<brianmaedche> wheres that one located at
<brianmaedche> on the connect rom you made it say black plague instead of verizon
<PlayfulGod> eri.xml and strings.xml I think
<death2all110> brianmaedche, framework-res/res/drawable/xml/eri.xml?
<death2all110> iirc
<death2all110> if im close 
<death2all110> i might shit
<brianmaedche> death2all110. your right on the money
<death2all110> are you serious?
<death2all110> i just guessed
<brianmaedche> lol yeah
<death2all110> and ive been drinking
<death2all110> dude
<PlayfulGod> lol
<death2all110> ballmer's peak is real!
<PlayfulGod> told ya
<brianmaedche> drinking helps out some
<PlayfulGod> STATE DEPENDANT LEARNING
By golly gee george I got it!

Urban Dictionary: Ballmer Peak

ballmer_peak.png

And here I am banging my head and trying to understand "So.... 'Windows 8 Metro...' good idea?" and this comes along...

Oh and CM9 port for the spectrum took a giant leap for mankind. Where is this chat room you guys were using? I think I wanna lurk.

Reactions: lfeqlbrm
Upvote 0
May not need to swap my phone for a nexus after all, can't wait to rock some AOSP on this phone.

are you so sure you want a gnex? for as far back as i can remember... all the first devices to get a new version of android first have had issues... plus youd have to unlock the bootloader before you put anything on the "storage".. or else youll have to go through the horrible process of backing ip all up.. then unlocking the bootloader.. since it wipes everything... then copy everything back.... i wanted one.. but i cant give up my sd card and im sure a new nexus will be popping up somewhere near the holidays to compete with the new iphone...

Upvote 0
Most of this went over my head. Bootloader vs rooted? IP? I would get the next nexus but thinking of leaving Verizon.
are you so sure you want a gnex? for as far back as i can remember... all the first devices to get a new version of android first have had issues... plus youd have to unlock the bootloader before you put anything on the "storage".. or else youll have to go through the horrible process of backing ip all up.. then unlocking the bootloader.. since it wipes everything... then copy everything back.... i wanted one.. but i cant give up my sd card and im sure a new nexus will be popping up somewhere near the holidays to compete with the new iphone...

Upvote 0
Most of this went over my head. Bootloader vs rooted? IP? I would get the next nexus but thinking of leaving Verizon.

to flash any roms/kernels to the nexus you have to unlock the bootloader... root im unsure about.. i know the nexus s/nexus s4g you have to unlock it to root it...

but since im with unlimited data im sticking by my spectrum until my contract is over... then maybe switching carriers... i see no point in paying full price for a phone to keep unlimited when i can go to straight talk... then get me a ~6month old att or tmobile phone for around $200 and still have no data limits

Upvote 0
but since im with unlimited data im sticking by my spectrum until my contract is over... then maybe switching carriers... i see no point in paying full price for a phone to keep unlimited when i can go to straight talk... then get me a ~6month old att or tmobile phone for around $200 and still have no data limits

Bones. You can do the same with your verizon plan now. You only lose unlimited if you use the upgrade option on that particular line. If you buy a phone off ebay, or use another lines upgrade, or whatever you do to get another phone, you can just switch your sim card out from the unlimited line to the new phone.

I had this discussion with a verizon rep on the phone last week. She made it very clear that the only way you lose your unlimited is if you actually use the upgrade option.

Thankfully I have 5 lines and only one of them is unlimited so I can always use my upgrade options and someone will just get stuck with using an older phone. Which will work out fine because one of the people on my plan is my nephew who is only 11 years old and he doesnt need a nice brand new smart phone. I'll just pass down one of my old phones to him and use his line for my upgrade =]

Upvote 0
I came to Verizon from straight talk. The talk is not so straight because the data policy I'd very shady, there is talk of complete data shut downs for some and losing number for others who'd exceeded unknown data limits.
So I went did AOL and got on Verizon unlimited which I intend to keep, cause when you think data think forward into years when our data consumption is going to rise. Eventually capacity will exceed (I hope) and get data cheaper but for now i'm paying for my phones.btw FWIW galaxy nexus is a piece of crap imho, i'm selling on flea bay as I write this:)

Upvote 0
I came to Verizon from straight talk. The talk is not so straight because the data policy I'd very shady, there is talk of complete data shut downs for some and losing number for others who'd exceeded unknown data limits.
So I went did AOL and got on Verizon unlimited which I intend to keep, cause when you think data think forward into years when our data consumption is going to rise. Eventually capacity will exceed (I hope) and get data cheaper but for now i'm paying for my phones.btw FWIW galaxy nexus is a piece of crap imho, i'm selling on flea bay as I write this:)
Sent you a pm

Upvote 0
Bones. You can do the same with your verizon plan now. You only lose unlimited if you use the upgrade option on that particular line. If you buy a phone off ebay, or use another lines upgrade, or whatever you do to get another phone, you can just switch your sim card out from the unlimited line to the new phone.
I was actually pleased to see that on the fine print of the new plan. I've had moderate luck with eBay phone purchases, so I'm not adverse to doing it again and if I can get unlimited data, then it's win-win. Of course, getting the wife on board, since she likes shiny, new things may take some work. We'll see. lol

Upvote 0
Swappa? Is it as reliable as ebay?
Yeah, they HAVE to be in working order with no water damage and no cracked screens. i got m gnex off there brand new in box unopened 300 bucks with spare battery box and everything was still sealed so it was def unopened and turned it on the 1st time and checked it with *#*#RTN#*#* and sure enough lifetime calls was all 0s and activation date was 00/00/00 meaning never activated. Also payment is paypal only.

http://swappa.com/devices/verizon

Upvote 0
Once in my care less ness I bought a swappa device. Before the listing was verified by swappa. Turned out to be fraudulent listing. I had to recoverfunds via Paypal. So the protections are greater on Ebay_Paypal not as much on swappa. They did urgently notify me that I'd been scammed so I could proceed with Paypal dispute, but that was Paypal protection that recovered for me.

Upvote 0
Once in my care less ness I bought a swappa device. Before the listing was verified by swappa. Turned out to be fraudulent listing. I had to recoverfunds via Paypal. So the protections are greater on Ebay_Paypal not as much on swappa. They did urgently notify me that I'd been scammed so I could proceed with Paypal dispute, but that was Paypal protection that recovered for me.
@badrsj Did you get all your money back? This just happened to me last night on Swappa. I feel like such an idiot for getting taken.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones