• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

updating apps and wifi

You don't have to use wifi. Mine update themselves automatically whenever they feel like, unless there is a permission change then it notifies me of the update so I can review it.

Because there is "Settings" in your phone, & also, settings inside apps. So first look in your phones' settings > data manager & battery manager, something may be set to only sync on wifi. While you're there, "enable background data".

Then know that even apps themselves have their own settings. Market has. Look in there & see if it's set for wifi only. While you're there, you can also check "update automatically".

It could be your carrier stopping you, but I doubt that, these are not huge files. It must be in your settings.

[Edit] letting everything sync over 3g will eat your battery & data plan. So in the phones' settings, you can make a custom setting in battery manager > battery mode, where you can choose peak & off peak time when it will or won't sync.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones