• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Upgrading a Rooted MEIZU M2 Note with Xposed Framework to Flyme 5 manually... possible?

F

Flyme 4 to 5

Hey guys MEIZU M2 Note finally had Flyme 5 released, I am currently on flyme 4.5.4.2l and I wanted to update to Flyme 5 manually but I don't want to lose my data. I am rooted and have Xposed Framework installed with modules such as ObbOnSD and Flyme Tools. What will happen if I try to update? Is there a safe way to update? If uninstalling Xposed is required how do I do it? And how do I install Xposed again after update?

Reactions: 5ham5h33r
If it's a complete Meizu, Flyme OS factory version upgrade. It will definitely lose root, and may even reset the phone back to factory defaults. If you wish to update, you will have to backup, and then root again and re-install Xposed. Think it would be best to checkout Meizu's own support forum. http://forum.meizu.com/ Meizu are usually quite happy about things like this and will often support roooted device. They don't void warranty for rooted phones either.

Flyme OS is Meizu's heavily customized, skinned and modified version of Android, they make it look and work like Apple iOS. :thumbsupdroid:

Last edited:
Upvote 0
If it's a complete Meizu, Flyme OS factory version upgrade. It will definitely lose root, and may even reset the phone back to factory defaults. If you wish to update, you will have to backup, and then root again and re-install Xposed. Think it would be best to checkout Meizu's own support forum. http://forum.meizu.com/ Meizu are usually quite happy about things like this and will often support roooted device. They don't void warranty for rooted phones either.

Flyme OS is Meizu's heavily customized, skinned and modified version of Android, they make it look and work like Apple iOS. :thumbsupdroid:
But the update is not changing the Android version. Only the flyme version

Upvote 0
But the update is not changing the Android version. Only the flyme version

Doesn't matter, if you're flashing a complete factory ROM image, that will put the /system partition back to factory state, which means no root, no SuperSU and no Xposed components, those will be deleted. And if it was an incremental image, which only updates certain files and components, that would almost certainly fail with a rooted and modified phone, rendering it unbootable.

Presumably this is what you want to update with.
http://www.flymeos.com/firmwarelist?modelId=3&type=1
Which is a complete ROM image, that you flash via the recovery, that would definitely lose root and Xposed on the phone.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Doesn't matter, if you're flashing a complete factory ROM image, that will put the /system partition back to factory state, which means no root, no SuperSU and no Xposed components, those will be deleted. And if it was an incremental image, which only updates certain files and components, that would almost certainly fail with a rooted and modified phone, rendering it unbootable.

Presumably this is what you want to update with.
http://www.flymeos.com/firmwarelist?modelId=3&type=1
Which is a complete ROM image, that you flash via the recovery, that would definitely lose root and Xposed on the phone.
Okkkkk thanks, any tips on how I can uninstall xposed and backup my app data? Root is not really a big problem because I had rooted using the option given in the settings by flyme.

Upvote 0
As it's rooted, you're definitely going to have to wipe and reset it if you update it.

From Meizu's update procedure for this phone:-
5) Already opened system permission (ROOT), the user must select "Clear Data" to clear phone data for firmware upgrade, Otherwise, it may cause abnormal system or application error ;

Does Flyme OS have a backup and restore app in it?
Many of these things do. I have an Oppo phone myself, which is Color OS, and that can backup apps and app data to a file on the SD.

The root Xposed modules
, I'm sure you'll have to re-install them yourself, which presumably you've done that before? It wouldn't have come from Meizu like that.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones