1. Check out our companion app, Forums for Android! Download from Google Play

General USB Cable - what type is it?

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by gamul1, May 5, 2010.

1. gamul1

gamul1 Well-Known Member

Apr 24, 2010
    Manager
    Suburbs of Boston
    OK - so the cable advertised that comes with this phone is a micro - USB cable. I went and ordered four cables as spares (2 for the cars and an 1 for each of our work). These cables have not yet arrived so I have not tried them yet.

This is what I ordered:
    Amazon.com: RiteAV - USB A to Micro-B Cable 6 ft.: RiteAV: Electronics

However, this morning I forgot my cable that came with the phone at home so I asked around if anyone had one so I could charge my phone. 4 people gave me cables to try that were micro - USB cables. They *look* like the cable that came with the phone but none of them will insert into the phone.

So - now I have doubts that what I ordered will work with this phone.

1) Can anyone tell me if they think the above cables will work?
    2) Can anyone tell me if there is a more precise description of the phone cables type?
    3) can anyone point me to a source of 6 foot long cables that will work with this phone?

Thanks!

Glenn

Advertisement

2. phobic

phobic Well-Known Member

Dec 7, 2009
    The reviews on that page say those cables work great for the Droid. I own a Droid. I'm using the same cables that came with my Droid to charge my Incredible.

So, to answer your question... yes. Those cables will work. :)

I bought some 12ft ones from Monoprice and they also work great with my Incredible/Droid as well. As long as the cable says micro-USB, it should work.

3. bjanow

bjanow Well-Known Member

Dec 3, 2009
    Colorado
    They were probably mini not micro. The minis were used in the BBs and Eris, bluetooth chargers, et al.

4. Crudes

Crudes Well-Known Member

Apr 28, 2010
  5. jwm2

jwm2 Well-Known Member

Mar 30, 2010
    Sterling, IL
  6. bjanow

bjanow Well-Known Member

Dec 3, 2009
    Colorado
    Haha, that is too funny. Stop playing and get back to work!!

7. CyberVike

CyberVike Well-Known Member

Apr 8, 2010
    Haha I was gonna post that same link. I bought 3 6 ft cables from Monoprice.

8. gamul1

gamul1 Well-Known Member

Apr 24, 2010
    Manager
    Suburbs of Boston
    Thanks all - I get it now. Everyone has been bringing me mini USB cables. The micro's I bought should be ok.

9. I got 2 myself as well:)

10. armoredsaint

armoredsaint Well-Known Member

Apr 19, 2010
    Ohio
    MONOPRICE.COM for the win, just got my charger (AC and car) plus 3 cables. Super fast shipping from CA to OH less than 3 days

11. Cinsue

Cinsue Active Member

Mar 17, 2010
    clerical
    Illinois
    My dogs just chewed up my power cord and since I have no clue what I should be ordering, could you please post links to everything you bought? I found the cables as posted above, but I'm not sure which AC or car charger to order.

Thanks!!

12. Vaetix

Vaetix Well-Known Member

Apr 14, 2010
    Atlanta, GA
    This is what I'll be ordering:

Wall Adapter:
    For only $1.75 each when QTY 50+ purchased - High-Speed WALL Power to USB Female Converter (1000mA) - Black | Power to USB Converters

Car Adapter:
    For only $1.00 each when QTY 50+ purchased - Car Charger (Cigarette Lighter) to USB Female Converter - Black | Car Charger Accessories

Cables:
    For only $0.97 each when QTY 50+ purchased - USB 2.0 A Male to Micro 5pin Male 28/24AWG Cable w/ Ferrite Core - (Gold Plated) - 3ft | USB 2.0 Cables - Micro-B Type

Hope this helps!