• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help USB Debugging Turns Off

thecarlsoncrew

Sep 29, 2010
When I connect to my work laptop (Macbook Pro), my phone connects as an installer. After a few seconds, it switches to a media device connection. I have the Developer Options enabled and the USB Debugging option selected, but it keeps getting turned off as soon as the phone is connected via USB cable.

It was working properly last week, but I updated to MacOS 10.10.5 over the weekend, and now it won't see my phone in USB Debugging mode.

Due to the timing of the MaxOS update, I do not believe this is an error with my phone or Android, but I'm hoping some other Macbook users may have encountered and resolved this issue. I've been unsuccessful in tracking down anything helpful, partly because of the voluminous search results for "USB debugging." I'd appreciate any help available.

I'm running 4.4.2, rooted but otherwise stock.

Thanks!

It would appear that you are not alone with this issue...

"Allow USB debugging"option not showing up

No reply to your problem on the Apple forum yet.

Hello, again! Too bad there's no answer yet. Thanks for the link, though, I'll keep an eye on it.

Smart Switch installed?

Android File Transfer installed? If yes, does it work?

Phone, MTP or PTP from the pull down?

Kies installed?

When AFT works, adb ought to, see posts beginning at -

http://androidforums.com/index.php?posts/6969550

Hope this helps...

AFT - not installed
SS - not installed
pull down options: Media device (MTP) and Camera (PTP); Media device (USB3.0) is there but grayed out and not selectable
Kies - not installed

Not sure that link is exactly the same thing - it appears that thread addresses the device not being recognized on the laptop at all. My Macbook is seeing the device just fine...it just refuses to go into USB debugging mode, which is what I need. Still, I can see how they may be related. Got any more suggestions?

I have not changed anything on my phone since last week when it worked correctly (aside from installing Instagram...don't ask), and the only thing I changed on the Macbook is the 10.10.5 upgrade. Thus my assumption about the cause. It is circumstantial, though, so I'm open to anything.

Thanks!

Upvote 0
I'm not sure how to check that on a Macbook. I don't believe I've installed ADB on here (unless it comes as part of the Android Studio SDK). Either way, how do I test what you're asking about?
Just grab our Mini-SDK, unzip the sdk-tools.zip file -

http://androidforums.com/threads/adb-guide-updated-2014-11-11.443072/#post-5389081

Follow the guide to install if you want to keep it otherwise for temporary use, Applications, Untilities, Terminal, then in the Terminal -

cd (space) (drag and drop the sdk-tools folder to the Terminal, and after the path appears after the cd, just hit return)

Then in the Terminal -

./adb-mac devices

If you follow the link's full install instructions, you can open a terminal window anywhere and just issue adb commands normally.

Upvote 0
:mad:

Ok.

USB debugging has to be on.

Among next to last things to try is usb tether (Internet) mode if you have that.

Another is MTP on the phone and ensure that the OS X firewall is off.

Almost a certainty that Apple is blocking the necessary port.

If none of the above helps, I'll be at my desk later tomorrow to look over the port situation.

Upvote 0
:mad:

Ok.

USB debugging has to be on.

Among next to last things to try is usb tether (Internet) mode if you have that.

Another is MTP on the phone and ensure that the OS X firewall is off.

Almost a certainty that Apple is blocking the necessary port.

If none of the above helps, I'll be at my desk later tomorrow to look over the port situation.
First off, I really appreciate all your help!!!

I can turn on USB Debugging when the phone is on its own (and it stays on), but whenever I connect a USB cable to the laptop it turns off and the phone switches to installer mode. After a few seconds, it then changes to MTP mode. Very strange. I don't see a USB Tether/Internet mode as an option.

I just double checked, and the firewall on my laptop is already turned off.

Upvote 0
When you turn on USB debugging mode, the following actions are taken -

- the adb daemon (think: service, formally named adbd) launches and listens for adb commands (either by usb or wifi)

That's it.

Once you check the box, it's not constantly asserting something.

Once you turn it off, adbd is terminated if running.

I'm not sure how the installer mode is coming in to play here...

Reactions: thecarlsoncrew
Upvote 0
OK. I am out of my comfort zone here, but... if you type in *#0808# into your dial pad you should get the USBSettings screen, shown below.

Mine shows AP is checked and so is MTP + ADB

If yours is not, it may be worth checking those and rebooting.

Failing that... I pass the buck to EarlyMon who may be able to suggest an alternative, based on these settings.

Upvote 0
OK. I am out of my comfort zone here, but... if you type in *#0808# into your dial pad you should get the USBSettings screen, shown below.

Mine shows AP is checked and so is MTP + ADB

If yours is not, it may be worth checking those and rebooting.

Failing that... I pass the buck to EarlyMon who may be able to suggest an alternative, based on these settings.

I was able to get into this menu, and the selection was MTP. However, nothing that I do gets it to stick here, either. Regardless of if I hit OK or Reboot, it always goes right back to MTP.

Upvote 0
Well, I ended up trying all options on this menu, and the "DM + Modem + ADB" option stuck. I plugged into my laptop, and boom! There it was. Problem solved. I have no idea what caused this, nor why the (apparently) more normal methods of connecting simply don't work...but I'm back up and functional now, so that's what counts. Thank you both VERY much for your help!

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones