• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Used S7 edge firmware issue

googleccd

Lurker
Nov 24, 2018
I bought A used S7 edge, I have issues with 4G use on my phone, and It wont update past android version 6.

When I used SAMSUNG INFO app I found the following:
Bootloader Version: G935VVRU4API3
PDA Version :G935FXXU1BPL2
CSC Version :G935FXXU1BPL2
Baseband Version :G935VVRU4API3
CSC COUNTRY : HONG KONG
SAMSUNG SERIAL NUMBER : 00000000000
IMEI : **mod removed for security purposes**
I have 4g connectivity issues especially on whats app (can only send text but can't send media), Facebook ( works for a while and then 4g stops working on it) , yahoo mail (won't refresh or open/send emails unless on wifi) , and linkden ( feed doesn't load unless on wifi), and youtube works with no issues.

This issue is killing me, how can I fix it? I live in the middle east (Jordan), does that effect anything ? I already factory reset my phone and re-installed all my programs, I got my SIM Card checked, I checked with my service provider and nothing is wrong.
Help! what can I do to fix my problem ?

Screenshot of download mode: imgur.COM/a/sJEWUA1
Screenshot of about phone screen : imgur.COM/a/aDlWRSc

Can you notice that it says on phone info its SM-935F but in download mode it says its Sm-935V

Last edited by a moderator:
SM-G935V, with "V" meaning Verizon, a US carrier. I think that's how Samsung model number codes work. Which certainly doesn't tie up with the CSC country as Hong Kong. Quite frankly I don't know what's going on there. Did you buy it from Hong Kong originally?

I know the S7 and S7 Edge were updated to 8.0 Oreo around about May this year, so that's what it should be on now.

FWIW last week I did see a new Verizon version Galaxy S8 on sale at the local communications market here in Jinan, China. Which I wouldn't touch with a barge pole myself.

Last edited:
Reactions: Jfalls63
Upvote 0
SM-G935V, with "V" meaning Verizon, a US carrier. I think that's how Samsung model number codes work. Which certainly doesn't tie up with the CSC country as Hong Kong. Quite frankly I don't know what's going on there. Did you buy it from Hong Kong originally?

I know the S7 and S7 Edge were updated to 8.0 Oreo around about May this year, so that's what it should be on now.

FWIW last week I did see a new Verizon version Galaxy S8 on sale at the local communications market here in Jinan, China. Which I wouldn't touch with a barge pole myself.

I don't know anything about it I bought it used, it only has version 6 android and doesn't update

Upvote 0
There's something rather odd going on with this S7 Edge I think. It's got "Odin mode", which I'm pretty sure woudn't see in a fake. And it says "Samsung Official" in the download mode, which again I don't think fakes would have, and that also means it shouldn't have been tampered with and modified. Yet there's a discrepancy in the model number codes, G935F(should non-carrier unlocked) and the G935V(Verizon version) showing in download mode. Perhaps it's a Frankenstein one, like was made up out of more than one S7 Edges? The serial number as all zero is definitely not right.

With the Samsung Info app, what CPU is it reporting, Snapdragon or Exynos?

EDIT

I do have a Galaxy S7 here(not Edge), G930F, that was originally purchased from Vodafone in the UK. And it has still been receiving OTA updates no problems in China. It's not currently got a SIM in it, and I keep it as a spare phone as well as for trying out apps on.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
If you are not int the country where it was intended to be used, then you may not receive any OTA updates. You'd most likely have to do that manually. What's more disconcerting is the lack of serial number. Are you sure the phone is genuine Samsung?
I can get over the updates if I can get over the 4g issues, it is a genuine Samsung I am sure about it, Could the one that sold it to me stole it from someone that's why he deleted the serial number? Does the serial number being zero effects 4g use on whats app, Facebook , yahoo mail and linden ?

Upvote 0
There's something rather odd going on with this S7 Edge I think. It's got "Odin mode", which I'm pretty sure woudn't see in a fake. And it says "Samsung Official" in the download mode, which again I don't think fakes would have, and that also means it shouldn't have been tampered with and modified. Yet there's a discrepancy in the model number codes, G935F(should non-carrier unlocked) and the G935V(Verizon version) showing in download mode. Perhaps it's a Frankenstein one, like was made up out of more than one S7 Edges? The serial number as all zero is definitely not right.

With the Samsung Info app, what CPU is it reporting, Snapdragon or Exynos?

EDIT

I do have a Galaxy S7 here(not Edge), G930F, that was originally purchased from Vodafone in the UK. And it has still been receiving OTA updates no problems in China. It's not currently got a SIM in it, and I keep it as a spare phone as well as for trying out apps on.
If it wasn't modified would it still work in Jordan (middle east) While it being a Verizon USA version phone?
What Can I do to fix it? Do I flash it with G935U ?
And If I do, Do I flash BL, AP, CP and CSC all together ? or what? I am a bit of a noob in this subject but I really need to get this phone working, it isn't cheap to me

Would flashing it solve the problem? If the serial being zero causes issues can I change it?

Upvote 0
This basically sums up what's wrong with it.
"Baseband Version :G935VVRU4API3
SAMSUNG SERIAL NUMBER : 00000000000"

That's certainly a Verizon baseband version, and so it just should not be "HONG KONG". And the serial been zeros as well.

I do think this phone has been seriously messed around with. If it does have a US carrier specific baseband in it, that could certainly account for having 4G problems in Jordan. Also no updates as well, due to the hacked or whatever happened to it firmware.

You could try Samsung Smart Switch, see if there's any updates that way, but quite frankly I think this phone is really screwed up, maybe beyond repair.

Reactions: Jfalls63
Upvote 0
You always want to use the ROM that specifically matches your model I.D. Using an incorrect ROM can brick your device, or at best will run but will be have stability and usability problems with some basic features not even working at all. Every phone has a different hardware configuration and each ROM is made so the firmware and drivers match that configuration.

Regarding your S7 Edge, if you go to https://willmyphonework.net and enter your model, SM-G935V, and which carrier you use in Jordan that might reveal just how compatible that model will be with your carrier. If it's not, you do have a problem. The actual cellular radio chip that's soldered to that phone's motherboard is what determines which cellular networks it will work with, not the ROM. The issue being, most carriers rely on their own cellular network with compatibility with other carriers a very low priority. That's why a lot of phones are only good for the carrier they're made for. There are some carrier-unlocked, dual-sim phones that have multiple cellular radios and will be compatible with several carriers but those are the exception, not the rule.

Reactions: Jfalls63 and mikedt
Upvote 0
Here's what you can do:

Try to download an app named hide my ass(exhibits1) or related..what it does, it disguise your gps position and you can chose where ever you want the system to think you are at...in this case in the usa..say L.A..then once acquired the geographic position you wanna try to do the updates your phone is supposed to be able to access to..

Who knows, that might work..

This app has worked for me in some other affairs related..

Attachments

• 2018-11-25 00.05.21.jpg
    2018-11-25 00.05.21.jpg
    438.6 KB · Views: 443
Reactions: lunatic59
Upvote 0
You always want to use the ROM that specifically matches your model I.D. Using an incorrect ROM can brick your device, or at best will run but will be have stability and usability problems with some basic features not even working at all. Every phone has a different hardware configuration and each ROM is made so the firmware and drivers match that configuration.

Regarding your S7 Edge, if you go to https://willmyphonework.net and enter your model, SM-G935V, and which carrier you use in Jordan that might reveal just how compatible that model will be with your carrier. If it's not, you do have a problem. The actual cellular radio chip that's soldered to that phone's motherboard is what determines which cellular networks it will work with, not the ROM. The issue being, most carriers rely on their own cellular network with compatibility with other carriers a very low priority. That's why a lot of phones are only good for the carrier they're made for. There are some carrier-unlocked, dual-sim phones that have multiple cellular radios and will be compatible with several carriers but those are the exception, not the rule.
It is compatible gladly

Upvote 0
Thanks everyone, I just said f*** it and flashed G935U (OREO) on it and now its working like charm, so glad this issue is resolved
Thanks again for your help

This basically sums up what's wrong with it.
"Baseband Version :G935VVRU4API3
SAMSUNG SERIAL NUMBER : 00000000000"

That's certainly a Verizon baseband version, and so it just should not be "HONG KONG". And the serial been zeros as well.

I do think this phone has been seriously messed around with. If it does have a US carrier specific baseband in it, that could certainly account for having 4G problems in Jordan. Also no updates as well, due to the hacked or whatever happened to it firmware.

You could try Samsung Smart Switch, see if there's any updates that way, but quite frankly I think this phone is really screwed up, maybe beyond repair.
I guess I got lucky

Here's what you can do:

Try to download an app named hide my ass(exhibits1) or related..what it does, it disguise your gps position and you can chose where ever you want the system to think you are at...in this case in the usa..say L.A..then once acquired the geographic position you wanna try to do the updates your phone is supposed to be able to access to..

Who knows, that might work..

This app has worked for me in some other affairs related..
I could use that idea for something else, thanks buddy

Reactions: Xavier Black
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones