• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

User Reviews + first impressions

I don't know if I have a superior 4G antenna in the EVO3 or had a weak one in the EVO4G, but I get 4G reception in my office building. With EVO, I was never able to get 4G service in my office. I usually kept 4G on at home and all around ('cause I'm a 4G whore like that) and when I got to my office I'd turn it off. I'd arrive with the message indicating the 4G antenna was on. My office building is located close to the west border where 4G service cuts off in my area. But I'm getting one 4G bar...same place I was never able to get it at all with EVO4G. As I indicated before, speed tests I've completed with EVO3 have been faster overall than they were with EVO4G.

Upvote 0
Received my EVO 3d just a little bit ago. I got a Nexus S 4 weeks ago and Sprint is allowing me to keep both for another week and decide which one I want to go with so I'm going to compare it to the Nexus S, a phone I have really enjoyed without problems.
~~~

I have my Nexus S sitting right next to the EVO 3d and right off the bat I can see the Nexus S hides finger smudges (and fades them away somehow?) a hell of a lot better than the EVO 3d, this is really noticeable when the phone isn't on or if you have a dark background. I like the sleeker shape of the Nexus S more and also like how the Nexus S front is all screen and entirely goes dark when off while the EVO 3d has the bottom row of 4 buttons (home, settings, back , search) off the screen. I have never used any version of Sense before and right off the bat I've got to say I really like it, way more so than I thought I would. I have no doubt it would allow me to organize better, I wasn't expecting it to be structured so nice.

The 3D camera/video camera is odd, you really have a small viewing angle and I did get dizzy from using it fairly quickly. Off the bat I don't see myself using it much but I think some cools apps could be developed which might make it a productive spec rather than just a gimmick.

I've yet to activate the phone as when I do my Nexus S will be turned off. Hoping I get the same or better reception as the Nexus which has been crystal clear.

More thoughts later.

Upvote 0
Coming from Palm Pre *hanging head in shame*, I had a lot of expectation coming into android and the EVO lineup. I can say with no doubt right now, that I have not been disappointed in the slghtest.

I had a bit of a bump thinking I had the 3G issue, but it turns out that a server in Austin (TX) and one in Temple were giving me almost the exact same symptoms. I had even opened a ticket with Sprint, and when I just called to close the ticket, they gave me a $50 credit to extend my contract 6 days! :D

Call quality has been solid, connectivity no problem, and battery life is WAAAAYYY better than I had with the Pre. Yesterday, I went from about 8AM -9PM with light-moderate usage at first, but became heavy later into the day before my better meter went red. Never would I have been able to do that with the Pre!

I love the OS, though I still, on occassion, try to flick an app closed, ala webOS. And I'm using the 3VO apps forum http://androidforums.com/htc-evo-3d/350861-must-have-apps-evo-3d-3vo.html extensively to learn what to and not put on the phone. I'm also grateful that I don't have to wonder if teh marketr place has more than 12 apps, like the "app catalog" did upon the Pre's release.

I'm so pleased, thus far, that I'd try to buy the Brooklyn Bridge if someone put an "HTC EVO" tag on it and offered it to me!

Reactions: dan330 and EarlyMon
Upvote 0
Received my EVO 3d just a little bit ago. I got a Nexus S 4 weeks ago and Sprint is allowing me to keep both for another week and decide which one I want to go with so I'm going to compare it to the Nexus S, a phone I have really enjoyed without problems.
~~~

I have my Nexus S sitting right next to the EVO 3d and right off the bat I can see the Nexus S hides finger smudges (and fades them away somehow?) a hell of a lot better than the EVO 3d, this is really noticeable when the phone isn't on or if you have a dark background. I like the sleeker shape of the Nexus S more and also like how the Nexus S front is all screen and entirely goes dark when off while the EVO 3d has the bottom row of 4 buttons (home, settings, back , search) off the screen. I have never used any version of Sense before and right off the bat I've got to say I really like it, way more so than I thought I would. I have no doubt it would allow me to organize better, I wasn't expecting it to be structured so nice.

The 3D camera/video camera is odd, you really have a small viewing angle and I did get dizzy from using it fairly quickly. Off the bat I don't see myself using it much but I think some cools apps could be developed which might make it a productive spec rather than just a gimmick.

I've yet to activate the phone as when I do my Nexus S will be turned off. Hoping I get the same or better reception as the Nexus which has been crystal clear.

More thoughts later.

They let you do that? I have the worst luck with stingy sales reps. They never let me do anything like that. They wont even let me return my zagg lol

Upvote 0
~~~

More thoughts later.

How dod you like the Nexus S 4g, or should i say how did you like it?

Upvote 0
Well, don't get me wrong, the actual phone is nice. I love the weight of it, the screen is very clear and sharp, and it puts the original Evo down a few pegs as far as how it performs. I love it. I'm not loving a few things.

One, being that a LOT of the games I played don't work on here, thanks to the new hardware (go figure, its like its too new to play them). Then the usual early adoption woes that play into it, like when the original evo launched. The call quality issues, having the slow 3g speeds, all of which are correctable (and I have corrected them), but still problems none the less.

-sigh-
The processor is awesome, but I just don't see ANY support for it, or the new Adreno 220 graphics in it anytime soon / ever if its only this phone and the sensation that have it.
I'm basically afraid that, while good, this phone won't have much support thanks to its new internals. I could end up worrying over nothing, but right now my concerns are just preemptive. I don't wanna buy into this phone permanently (keeping it past my 30 days) to find its going to be permanently untapped potential.

Just worried is all, things have just not really gotten any better immediately after launch.

Upvote 0
I totally understand your concerns and would somewhat share them if I was a big phone-gamer. Unfortunately the extend of my Smartphone gaming is Angry Birds lol... I think if you have doubt, at all, concerning a device you will have to carry for two years you should seriously think about it. Keep in mind, it is just a phone. However important we can all make it in our minds, it is just a 'thing' we carry around. Don't stress out about it like I did. Heh...

I hope you are happy with whatever decision you make. =)

Upvote 0
Admittedly, I did find the shrunken appearance of some apps to be somewhat disheartening. Some of my favorite apps still only take up 800x480 on the 960x540 screen, so that kinda sucks. However, the overall experience, for me, is what keeps me on this phone. I have emailed a couple of the devs politely asking if an update may be in the future and received responses akin to 'in the works.' Maybe something to consider prior to returning the phone.

In regards to the call quality and 3G issues, maybe try the workarounds on the support posts here. I know there are several purchases I have made in the past that would have gone straight back to the store if they continued to have issues. However, if there is something I can do to make things better and it doesn't cost me much to do, I'll do that instead of returning something that I thought enough of to purchase.

Honestly, as Armageddon stated above, your personal happiness is what matters in your decision process. If you feel things may not be updated and don't want to take the chance, don't do it. Wait for something else to come down the line. There is always another device inbound. Ultimately, that might make you happiest. 30 days is still a good time frame to test the device and make your decision.

Good luck :)

Upvote 0
I just went to the Sprint store and checked out the 3VO.

Whoa, the 3D really messed my eyes up...I don't know if I could ever get used to that.

Other than that, it seems like a great phone. I compared it to my Evo, and it's a bit heavier, but very nice.

I don't know though, if I want to wait for the Samsung Galaxy S2 (Within)... very hard decision. Add to that I love my Evo... tough decisions.

Upvote 0
Me to if you love your EVO you will love the 3D I love the screen and the new sense 3.0 is too cool. I wouldn't trade it for anything. I love the screen and it's so fast. So glad I upgraded even though I loved my EVO.

After upgrading to a qHD resolution Display I don't think I could ever go back to a WVGA... The qHD LCD on the Evo 3D is so vibrant, crisp, and beautiful. I am so happy with my decision.

Upvote 0
You don't just turn 3D on and off you only use 3D for pictures and videos. The screen is the same unless your looking at a 3D picture and video correct so I don't get it.

With the 3D off? That's the first time I've heard that. With the 3D off the screen is indistinguishable from a normal RGB qHD-LCD, correct? What bothers you?

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones