• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.
So if you're using that much ....why don't you just get actual home internet service?

And if it's legit how about calling up Verizon and asking them how "legit" it is? :)

i'm on the unlimited plan, why can i not use this much? why does it ruffle your feathers? do you work for Verizon? do you live in the general area of a tower by me?

why should i call VZW and ask them if Netflix and Play Music is ok to be used constantly? seriously? not sure what the response would be?!?

??? ? ? ???? ? ?? ??? ???????????? :smokingsomb:

Upvote 0
Hey folks.

Found this thread after doing a search online.

I'm experiencing an issue when running Foxfi on my Droid Bionic:

I can connect to web sites and stuff like background apps can run and get data, but the second I try to run anything bandwidth-intensive like Netflix or if I try to connect to my home server using Plex to listen to music or watch a video I lose the connection.

Any ideas?

Upvote 0
You're not F'ing Verizon, they get theirs no matter what. Your screwing your tower neighbors by causing slower downloads for all. And if using 36 gigs of mobile data isn't being used as a replacement for an ISP what would you call it?

I must be a real dick then because I used 1 GB of data within an hour today watching Netflix. Without tethering. I think its way easier to use that much in a month than you realize.

Actually, out of curiosity, I wonder what the absolute max thoroughput of 3G and 4G on the towers are when distributed to each user connected. I mean there has to be some limit.

Upvote 0
Actually, out of curiosity, I wonder what the absolute max thoroughput of 3G and 4G on the towers are when distributed to each user connected. I mean there has to be some limit.

I've been wondering the same thing! I produce and direct a live video broadcast of high school football. At the stadiums that didn't have any wireless or hardline hookup for us (most of them), we had to use a 3G Verizon dongle. At that data speed, it's really just barely watchable. Well now we have 4G here in my city. And we should have a new streaming platform set up that will allow any smartphone to watch it easily (unlike before, with windows media streaming). So now I'm curious that if we're streaming out on 4G and then me, or some of the crew, or some of the people in the stands are watching-- at what point does that slow down our upstream of the content?

I might actually make a new post to ask about it now that I've written that all out. lol.

Upvote 0
FCC just fined Verizon 1.8 million dollars for charging $20 for tethering, and the FCC told VZW to allow 3rd party tether apps or they face another federal law violation...Yay for Uncle Sam!!!!!

As I understand this, it only applies over 4G -- they can still charge for tethering 3G. It has to do with the agreement Verizon signed with the FCC to get their 4G spectrum. The interesting question is how Verizon will implement this.

Upvote 0
i dont understand how it works! So i've got Nexus phone and i'm paying $30 for 3gb and if i wanna share those 3gb with my nexus 7 tablet is it going to be free? i just tried built in feature on Nexus and it works great!

or i have to pay additional $50.00 /mo.for 5gb? ( with this i get $30 3gb data on my phone and $50 5gb for Nexus tablet)

This is stupid/// can i just share my 3gb between my 2 devices ? At&t such a dork!
It's like feeling your car with the gas and hauling a trailer which for some unknown reasons also needs gas!

Upvote 0
New here and I am finding lots of great info. thanks.

My issue is the same as many others, I have a grandfather plan and don't want to risk losing it. From what I have read it does not sound like that will happen, however I could easily BE a data hog tethered.

Locally our home internet connection sucks and we have no real alternative. I have checked with all our local providers and get the same answer, our speed will not go above 2mps.
I do not really want to pay for another new wireless connection when I currently have unlimited with my phone, wife has her own separate unlimited plan just like mine.
Has anyone used Foxfi with a G.Note ( ICS ), how does it work, any tricks to the install ?

I tried searching the G.Note section but could not find any info.

Upvote 0
I loaded FoxFi on my unrooted HTC Rezound. I am running ICS. I had to load the executable from the FoxFi/bin not the app store. But I did get it to run in spite of the warnings thrown to the contrary. Sooo... it does, does, does work on some HTC and new 4.0 OS in case you are shy about it.

I did experience the issue noted here by others that it only worked in BlueTooth mode. So if there is a fix I have not run across maybe a kind soul will repost.

I do have an unlimited plan so I am not worried about usage at this point and can't comment about big brother or the eyes in the skies.

Upvote 0
You're not F'ing Verizon, they get theirs no matter what. Your screwing your tower neighbors by causing slower downloads for all. And if using 36 gigs of mobile data isn't being used as a replacement for an ISP what would you call it?

i use close to 50gigs without tethering-i pay for unlimited data, and that's what i expect.

my "tower neighbors" can go jump in the lake for all i care :smokingsomb:

Upvote 0
First time in a long time on this forum (or any forum for that matter)...Okay, here's my situation. I have the Incredible 2 phone and the Samsung Tab 2 (released in April this year). I tried to use the Bluetooth to access the net and it did not work. I downloaded PDA net for Android and did pair the phone to the tablet, but no network. Anyone able to offer some assistance?

Upvote 0
I've been using Foxfi on my RAZR MAXX for about a month and a half so far. I used about 18 gb of data on my unlimited plan, with about 16 of using Foxfi. This month so far, I'm at about 36 gb and about halfway through my billing cycle. I was curious if anyone has used any large amounts of data (50-100gb) and VZW said anything about it? I'm loving the free internet, which is faster than my cable at home, but just don't want to get disconnected or hit with a high bill or anything. Thanks

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones