• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root [Verizon] 4.4 to 4.3

Strangely, I had no success going either way again. My LTE started acting funny after I upgraded to a 24a and 4.4, so I tried reverting everything, nothing worked. So I went back to a 24a and 4.4 on Carbon (beta I think it was), and it seemed to hold the LTE a LITTLE longer before dropping to 3G all the time, but still was annoying to toggle airplane mode 10 times a day. However, 2 weeks ago, with zero changes to the phone, nothing was done, and suddenly it started working normally again. I don't know if it was a certain number of phone reboots that finally knocked it back into working properly or what, but now it holds 4G as expected, it comes back after moving out of a 3G to 4G area, etc. I have no explanation. I did want to test another ROM or two, but I'm hesitant to even test, even with a backup saved.

Upvote 0
Strangely, I had no success going either way again. My LTE started acting funny after I upgraded to a 24a and 4.4, so I tried reverting everything, nothing worked. So I went back to a 24a and 4.4 on Carbon (beta I think it was), and it seemed to hold the LTE a LITTLE longer before dropping to 3G all the time, but still was annoying to toggle airplane mode 10 times a day. However, 2 weeks ago, with zero changes to the phone, nothing was done, and suddenly it started working normally again. I don't know if it was a certain number of phone reboots that finally knocked it back into working properly or what, but now it holds 4G as expected, it comes back after moving out of a 3G to 4G area, etc. I have no explanation. I did want to test another ROM or two, but I'm hesitant to even test, even with a backup saved.

Mahdi ROM is completely stable. I have been using it for a few months now and haven't even thought of going back to stock. If you decide to try another ROM, check out Mahdi over on XDA.

Upvote 0
Are there any advantages to Mahdi over stock 4.2.2 with G2 Xposed?

It depends on what your looking for. I tend to like AOSP a bit more than stock. Not a big fan of LG's UI. It is pure KK now (4.4 base and 4.4 kernel) meaning that you have to be on the KK OTA. I flashed a custom kernel and battery life is great for me. I can easily get 6 hours of SOT off one charge and one charge for me is 24 hours. Take in mind everyone uses their device differently so battery is subjective. Not having to install xposed is great, as Mahdi has a lot of customizations that I use/want. No need to introduce another element into the mix. Again those are just my preferences. I've been running it since march and haven't even thought about going back to stock since.

Reactions: bberryhill0
Upvote 0
I've never liked AOSP. Personal preference. I came from hTC Sense. I'm sure I can flash the radio to run KitKat but I'm not seeing any advantage. The main thing I'm hooked on with G2 Xposed is the centered clock. Bleed immersive makes it even better. Then there's the four soft buttons with long press options.

esyjy5a2.jpg

Upvote 0
I've never liked AOSP. Personal preference. I came from hTC Sense. I'm sure I can flash the radio to run KitKat but I'm not seeing any advantage. The main thing I'm hooked on with G2 Xposed is the centered clock. Bleed immersive makes it even better. Then there's the four soft buttons with long press options.

esyjy5a2.jpg

All those features are available on Mahdi without xposed. Again, personal preference.

Upvote 0
All those features are available on Mahdi without xposed. Again, personal preference.

Ooo. That's the kind of information I'm looking for. I suspect that my phone would be more stable if I lost Xposed. But I do like Crappalinks.

* Mahdi thread:
http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2590700

It looks like I would have to change the bootloader and radio too. Would I have to change them back to restore my current state?

Upvote 0
Lately, I found myself able to flash a new 24a, and C-Rom 4.4.4 and signal has been stable. However, in order to get it working properly (for me at least), I had to:

- Wipe Everything
- Install 24a
- Reboot back to recovery
- Install Malladus 2.0.3 (stock ROM)
- Boot into phone, open a browser and go to any site that will activate GPS, in my case I used Mapquest. Made sure the settings were set for device only to ensure it wasn't picking location up from any wifi or towers.
- Make sure to rotate screen as well.
- Reboot into recovery.
- Wipe system/data
- Install C-Rom and gapps
- Enjoy.

I found that if I didn't load into Malladus first, I wasn't picking up data on my signal. Once I loaded into stock rom though, it came up fine. Also did the same with GPS. I had forgotten to trigger it when I was in Malladus and once back on C-Rom, it wouldn't pick up, even using GPS Fix apps. But after getting my process to the above steps, everything's been fine. Signal locks on correctly, same levels as stock (I actually can pick up a 4G signal on my porch - haven't seen that since I started ROMs on this one), it toggles from WiFi to cell data correctly, and changes from 3G to LTE and back on it's own with no airplane toggle needed.

Upvote 0
It looks like I would have to change the bootloader and radio too. Would I have to change them back to restore my current state?

In order to flash a ROM on 24a you must be on unmodded KK radio. Then downgrade bootloader to 12b, as that is the only one that is still loki-able. You can then flash any 24a ROM.

If you decide that you want to go back to a 12b ROM, you must flash the 12b radio before flashing a 12b ROM. If/when you decide to flash a pure KK ROM again, you mush flash the 24a radio then ROM.

Reactions: bberryhill0
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones