• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Verizon buying out Sprint?

I would rather see this merger fail and AT&T fall on there a** however should it happen sprint could end up with over 20% of the market if they buy metro pcs cricket and us cellular.
The control of them 3 would give sprint more towers and i think it would benefit the customers of metro cricket and us cellular un like AT&T and them killing all the t-mobile towers just to make space for LTE.
VZW buying sprint would be bad most of alltells customers have left VZW the service on alltell phones after the buyout became all but useless. Dropped calls no signal where alltell use to have signal and only option was to wait and then resign with VZW with one of there phones.
But in all my wish is AT&T fails and ends up worse then before the offer to t-mobile but DE said if t-mobile usa does not sell they will shut it down. So which is really better AT&T having t-mobiles towers or DE selling off t-mobiles towers after they shut them down?

Upvote 0
FTC would review for whether it's anti-competitive. I don't think they can allow these mergers without undoing quite a few of the perks the carriers enjoy now (namely without going to SIM or another system that simply allows you to keep you phone and go with whatever carrier you like without the lengthy contracts). Those two things alone keep the big boys propped up on this model.

It's why they won't let ABC, NBC, or CBS merge but will allow them to buy other networks.

In the end, mega-mergers and mega-acquisitions rarely ever end up meeting expectations of the stockholders, the consumer market, or future investors. It also leaves so little room for churn that the carriers likely won't be able to win new customers from each other. The only way to make money if you can't get new customers is to charge existing customers more. Not good at all.

I think Sprint would really benefit by covering some gaps, staying as a value-provider, and watching the two others spend each other into debt.

Upvote 0
VZ will buy Clear Wire before they buy Sprint.
Sprint needs to switch over to one huge pre-paid wireless operator and call it a day.

What do you mean by "pre-paid operator"? I know what pre-paid phones are, but I don't see why Sprint should switch over to that. I love my upgrades so that I can get phones for cheap...my mom is with Boost Mobile (under Sprint but no contract for $50) and pays full price for all of her phones. She paid $300 last week for the Motorola i1. Outrageous...I'd be paying $500+ for a new Evo and phone companies may not bring cool phones to Sprint anymore. I do think they should switch over to GSM so we can use unlocked devices or allow ALL CDMA devices on their plans like some of Verizon's phones.

Eventually...Verizon may see Sprint as a very nice way of beating AT&T even more than they are and becoming a bigger monopoly.

Upvote 0
VZ will buy Clear Wire before they buy Sprint.
Sprint needs to switch over to one huge pre-paid wireless operator and call it a day.
Have to ask, why?

If they buy clear they would be bound to wimax. Clear and Sprint just can't up and change to lte, it would create a huge legal and financial mess.

Who would pay back the 4 billion+ in money that clear took to invest in wimax. What would happen to the dozens of cities that require clear and wimax for back bones of public safety, wman's, and back hauls. What would happen to the dozens of partners that commited to the using of wimax for mobile broadband.

They cant use lte, it was not built for that usage or propose. You could not jam enough lte towers into a city to support the million of connections that are going to be needed in the future. LTE can only do about 200 per 5mhz. Wimax can now do up to 6000 connections per 5mhz.

Regardless of what you say, wifi has replaced network wires in your house, wimax is made to replace network wires in a city.

LTE is just not made for that kind of use. You could not change it enough to make it work. In the future, you are going to need to have a city wide wireless system the only technology that can replace a wired network in a city area is wimax. If you used LTE, it would quickly be overwhelmed and do a very poor job and managing the system.

So even though lte is made for cellphone data. You are still going to need a wireless network that can connect a whole city.

The average company spends about 1,000,000 dollars per mile to lay fiber. Wimax can do it for 10,000 dollars at the same speed.

So if verizon buys clear, they would still have to keep wimax, because wimax is still needed.

Upvote 0
Have to ask, why?

If they buy clear they would be bound to wimax. Clear and Sprint just can't up and change to lte, it would create a huge legal and financial mess.

Who would pay back the 4 billion+ in money that clear took to invest in wimax. What would happen to the dozens of cities that require clear and wimax for back bones of public safety, wman's, and back hauls. What would happen to the dozens of partners that commited to the using of wimax for mobile broadband.

They cant use lte, it was not built for that usage or propose. You could not jam enough lte towers into a city to support the million of connections that are going to be needed in the future. LTE can only do about 200 per 5mhz. Wimax can now do up to 6000 connections per 5mhz.

Regardless of what you say, wifi has replaced network wires in your house, wimax is made to replace network wires in a city.

LTE is just not made for that kind of use. You could not change it enough to make it work. In the future, you are going to need to have a city wide wireless system the only technology that can replace a wired network in a city area is wimax. If you used LTE, it would quickly be overwhelmed and do a very poor job and managing the system.

So even though lte is made for cellphone data. You are still going to need a wireless network that can connect a whole city.

The average company spends about 1,000,000 dollars per mile to lay fiber. Wimax can do it for 10,000 dollars at the same speed.

So if verizon buys clear, they would still have to keep wimax, because wimax is still needed.

Actually they can just up and move to LTE. Clear is conducting LTE tests as we speak. WiMax would then become the Backhaul tech, and it will be much needed at that. Sprint is also keeping all their options open on the LTE front

Credit Suisse: Sprint/Lightsquared Deal to be Announced Soon - Lightsquared Will Lease Access to 45,000 Sprint Base Stations | DSLReports.com, ISP Information

WiMax isn't going away but both Clearwire and Sprint have a ton of valuable spectrum that make them attractive to Verizon regardless of what Verizon says.

Upvote 0
Actually they can just up and move to LTE. Clear is conducting LTE tests as we speak. WiMax would then become the Backhaul tech, and it will be much needed at that. Sprint is also keeping all their options open on the LTE front

Credit Suisse: Sprint/Lightsquared Deal to be Announced Soon - Lightsquared Will Lease Access to 45,000 Sprint Base Stations | DSLReports.com, ISP Information

WiMax isn't going away but both Clearwire and Sprint have a ton of valuable spectrum that make them attractive to Verizon regardless of what Verizon says.

It would be easier for lightsquared to use wimax then for them to use lte, it would cost them a fraction of the money.

That lte test you talked about also pegged wimax at 126mbps, compared to 90mbps.

Testing lte over you tower means that you can get roaming fees, which are now required by the fcc.

Once again, wimax can transmit and receive information on the same mhz now. Which means that you can use wimax in a very narrow range and double the amount of bandwidth compared to lte.

If there is truly a spectrum crunch, wimax will double it, for free.

Reactions: OutofDate1980
Upvote 0
It would be easier for lightsquared to use wimax then for them to use lte, it would cost them a fraction of the money.

That lte test you talked about also pegged wimax at 126mbps, compared to 90mbps.

Testing lte over you tower means that you can get roaming fees, which are now required by the fcc.

Once again, wimax can transmit and receive information on the same mhz now. Which means that you can use wimax in a very narrow range and double the amount of bandwidth compared to lte.

If there is truly a spectrum crunch, wimax will double it, for free.

Not arguing the strength of WiMax vs LTE. We were talking about the possibility of Verizon buying Sprint and I was just pointing out that Clear and Sprint can both change to LTE if they want. But you pointed out above exactly why Clear and Sprint would be an attractive buy.... Spectrum, as I also said. Here is another article on how a Sprint/Lightsquared/Clearwire joint effort with LTE and WiMax would be a Win/Win/Win . http://www.glgroup.com/News/Win-Win-Win-for-Sprint-Clearwire-and-LightSquared-53417.html
Why would Clear or Sprint switch to LTE or add it? Roaming purposes I would guess, every other carrier in the US has chosen LTE for their future. Personally I am in the WiMax camp, especially with WiMax 2 standards finalized but it is what it is.

Upvote 0
Not arguing the strength of WiMax vs LTE. We were talking about the possibility of Verizon buying Sprint and I was just pointing out that Clear and Sprint can both change to LTE if they want. But you pointed out above exactly why Clear and Sprint would be an attractive buy.... Spectrum, as I also said. Here is another article on how a Sprint/Lightsquared/Clearwire joint effort with LTE and WiMax would be a Win/Win/Win . Win-Win-Win for Sprint, Clearwire, and LightSquared - GLG News
Why would Clear or Sprint switch to LTE or add it? Roaming purposes I would guess, every other carrier in the US has chosen LTE for their future. Personally I am in the WiMax camp, especially with WiMax 2 standards finalized but it is what it is.

They have a good reason to get lte, because of forced roaming. LTE is really too limited to be used as a national broadband package. It is specificly made to use with cellphones. Not smart phones but cellphones.

Upvote 0
Wow so many errors in this thread. For one lowell mcadams CEO of Verizon has stated numerous times he has no desire in Sprint. Number two one.of.the above posts stating Sprint should by boost metro etc.etc they already own the network that they use and some of those mvno are already Sprint subsidiaries. Cmon people lol

lol yeah, but you're really going to trust Verizon's word? Verizon denied getting the iPhone for a long time but insisted they wanted it and a few months before it was released, they were very silent. They bragged about their Droids being superior to iPhone that it seemed they didn't need the iPhone but eventually they got it.

Same may happen to Sprint. They may see potential in buying them out eventually. As I stated before, it may be their way of stepping on AT&T and gaining more customers if AT&T is allowed to buy T-Mobile.

Upvote 0
^^^ netflix????
Yes, netflix as just as much to lose from a world with att and verizon as facebook and google. It would be a good option for all 3 of them to team up and take on a wireless provider.

The bottom line here is, wireless broadband is the future of broadband and every provider but sprint as said they are going to start limiting that use.

Google, facebook, and netflix model of making money depends on a unlimited internet. By choking the supply of data, they can control companies like google, facebook, and netflix.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones