• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help VERIZON GS4 - Partition Cache Clear Failure

Power2g

May 15, 2011
Hey Guys,

Recently I have tried to clear partition cache through the android menu (Volume Up + Home Key + Power Button), but what I found is upon menu boot up the android robot falls and reports "No Command" and flashes "Error". Then when selecting wipe cache partition, the robot falls and reports "Error" then automatically reboots. This has happened on 2 devices (My original device and my replacement device). Verizon replaced the device because that error is abnormal (you don't say), additionally the tech rep said that they never step through the wipe partition cache (actually he admitted he didn't even know what it was), so they would never identify an issue.

Anyways, Verizon called Samsung for me then conferences me in; after stating the problem Samsung replies they have not seen this on any of the other carrier devices and they have walked customers of T-Mobile, AT&T and Sprint through a wipe partition cache exercise without error. Samsung said I was the first to report this issue. (Interesting I am the first to report this issue but have it on 2 devices). After Samsung had no fix, they said it probably is the firmware and not the device so don't send it in for a new device because the problem will probably be on the new device as well. Samsung recommended me to go to the store and try it on a demo device (laughable, right) to determine if the error was repeatable on the demo device.

Well, I called Verizon back explained to them Samsung's solution and was escalated to Level 2 Tech support. As we talked, he grabbed a S4 and I had to walk him through how to get to the menu (You got it, he didn't know how in Level 2 support). Once in, he experienced the same thing: Initial screen, robot falls and reports "No Command"; choose "wipe partition cache", robot falls and reports "Error" then it reboots.

I think this may be related to the firmware update pushed July 8th, Samsung and Verizon does too. Samsung believes it is only Verizon's handsets that may have this issue. If this is true then us, Verizon Customers, may have bigger issues with our phones than other carriers of GS4 phones. The code related to Verizon options and changes for their network compared to the others is probably the reason their is a partition cache clear error. Also, the battery gets much warmer while charging since the update (this can become a major disaster, catch on fire); I have experienced this on both phones.

Verizon customers, please check for the partition cache clear error and check to see if your phone gets hot while charging (post-firmware update). If you experience these errors report it to Verizon and to Samsung because we will need an update quickly to resolve these problems. If they don't have enough complaints then they will take their time resolving the issue because as Samsung told me today, it's not an issue if only 1 customer reports it even if it is multiple devices I have.

Just a heads up.

Sorry for the lengthy post!

Reactions: esemes and Atma
I have T-mobile and I to am having the same error message as the rest of you as well as my phone does get hot. I mean sometimes it gets real hot when it is charging. Not sure if any of you had this issue, but while I was texting my friend and then made a phone call, my phone felt like it was burning the side of my face. Not sure if it was cause maybe for some weird reason my face was cold? But then again I doubt it since I was sitting outside and its August heat in Texas. So my face being cold? No don't think so. And no I was not in the sun I was in the shade under the parking garage at my job.

Upvote 0
Great, just got a Samsung update and still the same problem, only difference is it reboots gracefully after the error..... Makes me wonder if it's not purpose since it reboots automatically now whereas before you had to hold the power button but 30 seconds to get it finally reboot.

What would be the rational first removing that option?

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones