• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Verizon please push the BMB1 (previous) update

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yea the 4G is crap now. Before BMD3, I would hardly ever see 3G but now I am seeing that probably 50% of the time. When it is on 4G it is much much slower than before the udpate.

Really don't want to get a refurb only to inherit more problems..

Hopefully they will just push the BMB1 sofware that was prior to this piece of crap BMD3 release.. What a mess.

Upvote 0
Don't know how well they play on the s3, but why not find a copy of the previous radio files and flash them through custom recovery.
I don't know how many folks would be willing to root/install custom recovery to flash the radios.
Albeit, it is simple to root.
I just flashed the MB1 radios from the VRBLK3 radios.

Upvote 0
I don't know how many folks would be willing to root/install custom recovery to flash the radios.
Albeit, it is simple to root.
I just flashed the MB1 radios from the VRBLK3 radios.

Yeah, it sucks that it's the only thing one can do to fix it if they don't want to wait.

I really have no clue how to do all that stuff and really do not want to. I am afraid I wll most likely brick my phone and void warranty..

Thanks though. I have seen that others have done this..
No problem, and very respectable. Considering how much Verizon prides itself on its testing procedures, it continues to baffle me how many bad updates get pushed through.

Upvote 0
I really have no clue how to do all that stuff and really do not want to. I am afraid I wll most likely brick my phone and void warranty..

Thanks though. I have seen that others have done this..

Me and you both. The worst thing anyone can tell me is "oh that's easy, anyone can do it". Which translates to me, "yes you are going to royally screw this up and ruin whatever it was you were trying to fix." :)

Upvote 0
Are you talking about the issues with the radios? 4g etc.?

I want to say I read something that Verizon was aware of the issue and was working on a fix for it.....just can't recall where I read it tho :p

I spoke to 2 reps yesterday about the phone issues and both were not aware of any issues or fixes on their end. Verizon should take an engineer from their "updating perfectly good radio" job and put him on "read the forums to find out what we f'd up" job.

Upvote 0
Are you talking about the issues with the radios? 4g etc.?

I want to say I read something that Verizon was aware of the issue and was working on a fix for it.....just can't recall where I read it tho :p

Wish I knew where you found this golden nugget. Cuz I've been driving myself nuts trying to find any acknowledgment about this from Verizon and not a peep.

Upvote 0
Wish I knew where you found this golden nugget. Cuz I've been driving myself nuts trying to find any acknowledgment about this from Verizon and not a peep.

Didn't mean to get your hopes up but I saw this and was trying to verify what was being said. I just remembered reading it, and haven't quite had the time for it to soak in:
http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?p=42225959
Android Forums: MD3 OTA officially pulled per Samsung Open Source Release Center

Now, granted it is probably hearsay but can't verify anything from those links.

Upvote 0
Well, I just got done with a chat with Verizon.....they are aware of it and no ETA for a fix and are calling it Samsung's issue. I had a helpful rep that knew all about the issues we're having. Here is the relevant part of the chat with names removed to protect the innocent....

Please hold for a Support Representative to assist you.
Thank you for contacting Verizon Wireless.

Your Chat Session ID is XXXXXXXXX.

My name is XXXXX, how may I assist you?
Me: Hi XXXXX.Since the software update that was pushed to my Samsung Galaxy S3 last week, I am having terrible problems with reception. Often, when the phone is on 4G it will lock up and say the network is not available when I try and use any data.
Me: I no longer get any data reception in my office where I used to have no problems with getting 4G.
XXXXX: Hello XXXXXX!
XXXXX: I am sorry that you are having this issue.
XXXXX: Samsung is aware of this issue and is working urgently on a solution.
XXXXX: I have the same phone and the same issue!
XXXXX: I can help you with a factory reset.
XXXXX: That can help.
Me: I did the factory reset last night and tested the phone today. It made no discernible difference
Me: I really need the phone for work and right now it's not working.
XXXXX: I totally understand. I really do. I am having the same issue plus some other ones.
XXXXX: Samsung did recall that update, but it was too late.
XXXXX: I can provide you with their number if you like. This is the only fix that we currently have access to.
XXXXX: I can send you a replacement SIM
XXXXX: I can send you a replacement phone.
XXXXX: Or you can wait for the update...Would you like me to send a phone?
Me: Unless the fix is coming out tomorrow, I'd like the replacement phone. I imagine there is no timeline for the fix?
Me: Or do they have a date the fix will be out?
XXXXX: They do not. And as you can imagine, a lot of customers are upset about this, including me.
Me: Yes, I can imagine it's no fun doing your job right now. It's really frustrating. Could you send me a replacement phone then?
XXXXX: I am working on that.
XXXXX: What address would you like it sent to?

Upvote 0
oh wow you guys dont have any firmware tars or modems like us metro users have available. if so it would be only too easy to flash a previous modem back. let me see if i can talk to a few of my sources and see if they know any verizon sources that could provide such assets.

They do, but that doesn't help those who don't want to take risk of bricking the device. I don't know if there's tar files available, but I believe xda keeps a collection of flash-able zips for custom recovery.

Upvote 0
not gonna brick their phone by flash a previous modem. aslong its for the verizon variant they are safer than a baby in a crib.

DroidViews | Manually Update Verizon Galaxy S3 SCH-I535 with Official JB OTA Package

all previous firmwares can be found here.

as far as the fear of having a rooted device with custom recovery if you want to be able to do flash/install such updates yourself than thats the only choice since carriers push ota/fixes when they please no matter how many beg and complain.

Upvote 0
Upvote 0
It's true, but some people are either too fearful or don't feel comfortable tinkering with it in that way.

than this forum serves barely any use for them lol just saying. cuz verizon has their own lile nifty forum where customers can discuss their experiences with verizon and other customers. and if they need any help trouble shooting then they get a nifty rep to help them out and make them feel warm and toasty. i was under the impression here on androidforums we take things past the normal "someone help me send a txt to grandma" scenario lol anyways if i can thank my sources for what ive learned about android phones it belongs to af, best mobile forum period! now back to topic if there members in here that have custom recovery and want to revert back to a previous of modem which i can assure you wont brick your phone then heres a link with modems just for the verizon variant!!

index

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones