• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Verizon Tech here - ask away!

Status
Not open for further replies.
If I have total equipment coverage for my droid can i break it and get an incredible?

Only if you are super lucky. They will more than likely send you another Droid (and a refurbished one at that.) The only reason I got an EnV Touch when I lost my Dare was that they didn't sell Dares anymore and all of the refurbished Dares they sent me didn't work for a lot of different reasons.

tried that no go,

Have your friend call them. The only reason it shouldn't work is if the phone was reported stolen or something like that.

How do I change the PASSCODE on my HTC Incredible? I am talking about the passcode needed to access much of the content on the MENU / SETTINGS screens. It tells me the initial setting is 8888 (and this works since I haven't changed it). This is the code I am trying to change.
Thanks in advance for your help.

I bought a used EnV a long time ago and when I called Verizon, they told me that the passcode is by default the last for digits of your phone number. I didn't think that was very secure, but it worked so I changed it immediately when I got into it.

UPDATE: I just reread your message. I am not sure about that, usually under the Settings menu there is an option to change that...

Upvote 0
Does it make sense that the android designers created a system that unless you were smart enough to download some type of "task killer",or that you literally turn off every app immediately after using it,that its going to continue runing forever? I just cant believe that it was meant to operate like that. Is there some kind of internal timer that eventually shuts them down i'm missing? I find myself using task killer everytime i'm done using an app,that to me doesnt make sense

Upvote 0
any student discounts on verizon ?

I've seen corporate discounts and senior discounts but you might call them about a student discount. You might also call your school and see if they offer anything, some do as an added perk.

I'm having the exasct problem as this fellow:

Motorola Droid- SCREEN PROBLEMS

I never tried rooting or any of that, so if I go into the store and explain the situation, what are my chances of having the phone replaced?

They are going to try to see if they can mess around with the software settings first, but if they cannot figure out a way to make it stop doing that, and it is still under some sort of warranty, they will replace it. They'll replace it with a refurbished Droid if you are beyond your 30 day trial peroid unless you press them to take care of you.

Does it make sense that the android designers created a system that unless you were smart enough to download some type of "task killer",or that you literally turn off every app immediately after using it,that its going to continue runing forever? I just cant believe that it was meant to operate like that. Is there some kind of internal timer that eventually shuts them down i'm missing? I find myself using task killer everytime i'm done using an app,that to me doesnt make sense

You don't need a task killer. It was designed to keep the last 6 apps going in memory so that you can switch between them quickly. An app that you've left will not run forever, android will kill it when it feels that it should be using the resources for something else. If there are programs (like that awful stock music app) that make nuisances of themselves when you aren't using them anymore, you can always kill the service from the Settings>Applications>Running Services to get rid of it.

The object oriented languages like C# and Java let the OS do the memory management and the OS kills things when resources are outdated or needed for something else. OfTheDamned has a link to a nice explanation of why you should let android manage which apps need to be shut down in her signature. Other people feel differently about this, but I uninstalled my task killer and have found her advice to be sound.

Upvote 0
1 - Everybody I talk to says it sounds like I have them on speaker phone/they can't hear me very well. I have checked all of my settings and taken off my case but they still can't hear me, is there a hidden setting I don't know about? I have two other friends with the same phone in this area and they don't have this problem.

2 - I downloaded visual Voicemail and soon after realized it was crap and removed it but there is a notice at the top that never goes off (New voicemail (1)).. I've tried reinstalling and removing the app, clearing out and resetting my voicemail and it never goes away, I can ignore it but it bothers the fudge out of me.

3 - I sometimes have some really failsome lag, I've removed 20 apps that I don't use but I can't seem to get rid of it, is there an app/quick fix for this?

&& thanks a million for being here to help :cool:

Upvote 0
I have a problem when recording video on my Motorola Droid. The video on playback starts to freeze and stutter. Then the video to sound sync is off for the rest of the time. This is the worst example yet. I have even turned off all apps. (not sure I did on this one) In the beginning, it never did this.
Ive even uninstalled a bunch of apps to see if that would work....no dice.

YouTube - The old Arcade at South Ridge it has seen better days

Upvote 0
ok heres a questiong i'm hoping you can help me with. when my phone rings, i only hear 2 rings before it goes to voicemail. if i don't have my phone sitting right next to me, where its easy to grab and hit talk real quick, i miss the call. its just really frustrating to have to call everyone back. and after i go into the call log to call them back, it slows my phone down drastically. it takes maybe 10 seconds for the phone to finally connect. but is there a way i can get my phone to ring as soon as the person calls? very frustrating!!

Upvote 0
Before I got my LG Ally, I was using a Samsung Saga. It would go to voice mail after only 4 rings. I complained to Verizon and they said it was due to an update in their system, and nothing could be done to change it.

Well, the Ally will ring EIGHT times before it goes to voice mail. It did this right out of the box. I think it must be the way each phone itself is designed. In the past I have had phones which would ring 10 times on Verizon before going to voice mail.

So, it may sadly be the nature of your phone. Which one do you have?

Zoandroid

Upvote 0
Can someone tell me how to make the LG Ally, Android 2.1, use MP3 files as ringtones? I tried making a folder in SD card/ringtones and putting one there, but it doesn't see the MP3. I also put a WAV file there, and that it DOES see.

By default the Ally has ringtones, alarms, notifications, and "UI" sounds stored in System/media/audio. But that is a system location and the Explorer utility I am using says it is read-only. Also, every sound file is a *.ogg file.

I tried recreating this tree structure on the SD card, but that didn't help the Ally find the MP3 file either.

Zoandroid

Upvote 0
Well, it depends on what you want. If you don't care what the notifications are telling you, you can use the Power Control widget to tell it to stop refreshing. It won't even tell you when you get new mail, then.

As far as the android market is concerned, it will always tell you about new app updates (at least it is only daily or so.) If you are getting harassed by message notifications:
Make sure that you don't have more than one app notifying you about new messages (ie: if you have Handcent, make sure that notifications in Messenger is turned off.) As far as your email is concerned, make sure to adjust your settings in Gmail or your other mail clients to make sure you aren't getting duplicate notifications.

All of that applies to everything you've got running, Twitter, Google Talk, MSN. If you still need help let us know what keeps pestering you and someone around here will help you get some peace.

Upvote 0
Facebook will only sync contacts with FB when the contacts have named themselves exactly as you have them named in your DROID.

For example, if you store a contact named Bill Henderson, and Bill's FB page is also under Bill Henderson, they will sync.

However, if you store a contact named Bill Henderson, and Bill's FB page is under William Henderson, then it will not.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones