• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root [Virgin Mobile] can you flash a deodexed rom over a odexed one

revins95

Feb 2, 2013
my question is if it is possible to flash a deodexed 5.3 ROM over my current odexed ROM from JD and not have to wipe everything. im just lazy and dont want to go through the hassle of reconfiguring everything again as ive already fell into the groove i had from 4.1.2. if not then ill bite the bullet and wipe but just wondered since they were essentially the same ROMs

"Can you flash a ROM without having to wipe everything?"

The rest of the question is irrelevant, because the answer to that one is "no". You totally wipe the phone when you install a new ROM (unless you like using rubber bands as bungee cords). Flashing a new ROM and running it with the old ROM's data is like pushing a car over a cliff and hoping the raw egg on the floor won't break. The new ROM will, if not crash, at least exhibit some "strange" behaviors. After which you'll probably wipe the phone anyway. (Even if the ROMs are the same ROMs, but someone switched the location of two variables of the same size, you're looking for trouble.)

Reactions: revins95
Upvote 0
Sorry to contradict but to flash a deodexed rom over an odexed all that would need to be wiped is "system", "cache", and "dalvik cache" in order to wipe out the system apks and the dalvik information contained in their odex counterparts.

The "data" partition can be left intact which would retain your app settings.

If you run into bootloops or other issues, wipe everything.

Upvote 0
my question is if it is possible to flash a deodexed 5.3 ROM over my current odexed ROM from JD and not have to wipe everything. im just lazy and dont want to go through the hassle of reconfiguring everything again as ive already fell into the groove i had from 4.1.2. if not then ill bite the bullet and wipe but just wondered since they were essentially the same ROMs

TheBritton is absolutely correct. You are flashing a stock TW over another stock TW, irregardless if it's odex/deodex, etc. However, if you want to switch from TW to AOSP, AOSP to CM, CM to PacMan, etc,etc, etc, then I highly encourage you run a nandroid and wipe everything, completely clean. But "dirty" flashing my deodexed over my odex is fine, just wipe cache and dalvik first.

Upvote 0
OK thank you. I'm glad to hear I can do as little work as humanly possible lol. And still thank you RukBat for your input because to be honest I believed in you theory of it before this. And thank you to TheBritton and JD for clearing this up. Hopefully I'm not the only one and someone else can also get use out of this

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones