• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root [Virgin Mobile] Custom roms with stock phone app? (Or how to dirty flash a rom while keeping data menu the same)

cakalala43

Dec 23, 2013
So i have the galaxy s3 on Vm, and it's a great phone!
But in my honest opinion, the data throttling is extremely annoying. I use spotify (2.5Gb+ per month) constantly when im away from home, and as soon as that throttle hits, its near impossible to listen to one track.

I have disabled throttling. I don't want to go into the details, but it is only possible from the ##DATA# menu on the stock phone app.

I would absolutely love to install a rom that is AOKP enabled (Cyanogenmod preferably) but i've noticed that all roms that are not stock based do not share the same stock phone app, basically making it impossible to get to the ##DATA# menu (I've had CM installed before, the data menu freezes and crashes even if the correct msl is typed in)

So, tl;dr version: How do i access the stock phone on a rom that isn't stock based? (Or how do i dirty flash the new rom to keep the old ##DATA# menu information intact?)

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones