• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root [Virgin Mobile] [OLD]Sprint to Virgin Mobile LTE/MMS FIX [OLD]

Rate how the mods worked for you

• AOSP Version 1 worked (LTE / 3G / MMS / Internet)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • AOSP Version 1 partially worked

• AOSP Version 2 partially worked

• TW Version 1 partially worked

• Total voters
Why is the MMS Proxy & Port 68.28.31.7:80 when Virgin Mobile is 205.239.233.136:81?

I can't send or receive MMS without using the correct VM proxy, and everytime I change it manually after applying your fix, it reverts.

There's different points if I recall what moped has said, one for VM, one for other android phone that simply use the Google ones

As for SMS and MMS you need to use a non stock app such as hangouts or handcent, evolve SMSor chomp

I just flashed the 3/17 CM11 with the older fix number 2 with zero iissues, I have 3g/4g and text messaging works fine, not sure about MMS as I haven't sent any pictures or a text bug enough to be one

Upvote 0
There's different points if I recall what moped has said, one for VM, one for other android phone that simply use the Google ones

As for SMS and MMS you need to use a non stock app such as hangouts or handcent, evolve SMSor chomp

I just flashed the 3/17 CM11 with the older fix number 2 with zero iissues, I have 3g/4g and text messaging works fine, not sure about MMS as I haven't sent any pictures or a text bug enough to be one

There's 2 APNs within the old #2 fix which I use. One for internet and one for LTE which both have the same settings. Using the sprint proxy & port. I use chompsms which uses the APN settings of the phone and if you set them yourself they will revert to the phones APNs. I edited the zip myself with Virgin Mobiles proxy and port and now it works fine.
Just wondering why that wasn't done before.

Upvote 0
Most likely cause we've never had any issues, I've never done or had to do anything like what ur saying, I've always just flashed the fix installed handcent and everything's always worked fine for me, the current build of cm I haven't sent any mms, but my setup on the previous build which was all the same just the previous cm build I was able to send and receive MMS and SMS with no troubles with fully working 3 and 4 g

But then again I've also not had any issues others reported, my camera has always worked on all builds, my battery always seems to perform the same, except with LS on totally stock settings and I've yet to have a data issue during or right after ROM flashing so I guess I might just be lucky

Upvote 0
Why is the MMS Proxy & Port 68.28.31.7:80 when Virgin Mobile is 205.239.233.136:81?

I can't send or receive MMS without using the correct VM proxy, and everytime I change it manually after applying your fix, it reverts.

Checking over my logs from my testing found this:

(Testing was completed on a 4.2 ROM)

Each time 205.239.233.136:81 was used my log showed: "205.239.233.139:81 Connection refused"

I just rechecked it with a FEB build of LiquidSmooth, still "205.239.233.139:81 Connection refused"

What finally worked (most times) was setting:

Code:
mmsproxy="68.28.31.7" mmsport="80" mmsprotocol="null" mmsc="http://mmsc.vmobl.com:8088/mms?"

Its the Sprints IP/Port with Virgin's mmsc settings. Also trying to operate via LTE on Sprints network on a Virgin plan made finding the correct settings a pain. In a Stock ROM Virgin uses a system called "cameleon" to mask or kinda make the Sprint network think its a Sprint phone. Porting that system from TW to CM/AOSP was futile.

I did some more testing and found the build.prop now controls the carrier label. Setting it to Virgin has had any issues yet. Ill need testers.

Upvote 0
Checking over my logs from my testing found this:

(Testing was completed on a 4.2 ROM)

Each time 205.239.233.136:81 was used my log showed: "205.239.233.139:81 Connection refused"

I just rechecked it with a FEB build of LiquidSmooth, still "205.239.233.139:81 Connection refused"

What finally worked (most times) was setting:

Code:
mmsproxy="68.28.31.7" mmsport="80" mmsprotocol="null" mmsc="http://mmsc.vmobl.com:8088/mms?"

Its the Sprints IP/Port with Virgin's mmsc settings. Also trying to operate via LTE on Sprints network on a Virgin plan made finding the correct settings a pain. In a Stock ROM Virgin uses a system called "cameleon" to mask or kinda make the Sprint network think its a Sprint phone. Porting that system from TW to CM/AOSP was futile.

I did some more testing and found the build.prop now controls the carrier label. Setting it to Virgin has had any issues yet. Ill need testers.

Strange, you're saying that was in your logcat? Because I don't use LTE at all ever, just MMS. I can't get MMS to go through with chompsms unless I have the non-Sprint Proxy. I decided to stray away from the guide on XDA using APN Backup&Restore (which worked for me without fail, always) and try your flashables and it just doesn't appear to work for me :/ Unless, however, I put the VMU proxies.

Upvote 0
Ok minor tweaks and changes

Carrier should say "Virgin Mobile"
Still should have MMS / LTE (I hope)

build.prop now Identifies it as Virgin with its numeric.

UNIVERSAL_VMU_APN_FIX-2014-3-21_v1

Dirty flash should work fine. Doesn't need to be on a new flash.

I just flashed (dirty flash) this and my network still says Sprint. Or were you describing something different? I am on the Liquid Smooth daily 03/18/2014.

Upvote 0
Strange, you're saying that was in your logcat? Because I don't use LTE at all ever, just MMS. I can't get MMS to go through with chompsms unless I have the non-Sprint Proxy. I decided to stray away from the guide on XDA using APN Backup&Restore (which worked for me without fail, always) and try your flashables and it just doesn't appear to work for me :/ Unless, however, I put the VMU proxies.

"Because I don't use LTE at all ever, just MMS"
There in lies the difference. In order to get both LTE and MMS to work it takes a mix between the two.

Reactions: FatalIll
Upvote 0
I just flashed (dirty flash) this and my network still says Sprint. Or were you describing something different? I am on the Liquid Smooth daily 03/18/2014.

Interesting. Mine changed to Virgin Mobile, but I also have it set to Virgin in the eri.xml file. So with the new "lte" universal builds it may have to be in both the build.prop and eri.xml files.

Anyone else try it?

Upvote 0

You may also want to try mod #1 in the OP. It uses the Sprint for internet, but switches to Virgin Mobile for mms. Problem came when trying to switch from LTE to MMS and then back.

Upvote 0
Interesting. Mine changed to Virgin Mobile, but I also have it set to Virgin in the eri.xml file. So with the new "lte" universal builds it may have to be in both the build.prop and eri.xml files.

Anyone else try it?

Looks like you are correct about it needing to be in both files; I was only able to get the Virgin Mobile carrier label when I had the eri.xml changed to match. This was for latest Beanstalk from a couple of days ago; will test on LiquidSmooth soon as well.

Upvote 0
I have tried mod#3 on my VM S3 with the most recent nightly for CM11 D2LTE and though I get LTE for about 5-10 seconds upon boot, I then get Unfortunately, the process com.android.phone has stopped. Any ideas? I did not get this message before I updated mod#3. Thanks!

Try the one in post 505. Mod #3 (not 3.5) has the TW Sim toolkit. Seems the newest builds don't like it. I may redo OP with new (post 505) version that removes STK.

Upvote 0
^^^ +1; none of us would be using our phones the way we are currently without all of your hard work @MopedRyder!!!!!!

yea as some may have noticed ive been mia a bit lately as i just built myself a pc and have been playing with overclocking lol days upon days of settings to play with there lol

i still had to stop here and say thanks, without moped id still be running the stock phone, with google's absolutely ugly choice in colors lol

Upvote 0
Working on the next version for us. I have found that with the new universal "lte" builds the needed text in the build.prop for my script to edit - is not there.

Next build will have the if..then...else into it. So if its a fresh lte build it will enter the vmu needed text, if not it will edit what is needed. Also going with the universal CM/AOSP format so it wont be S3 only. It should work on any vmu CM/AOSP build.

I think Ill label it for 4.2.x builds and above only. Give me a few days. Ill need testers also. I wont post it until I test it on my phone a few times fist though.

Thanks all

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones