• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root [Virgin Mobile] rooting help cant get s3 to boot into recovery

Just like to learn how this Android system works, not just follow steps on a website. Like to learn how things work and what makes it tick. Like my Evo V, when you screwed up could put stock virgin bootloader zip on root of sd card and start all over from stock out of the box. You could brick your phone still, but it was what called a soft brick and not totally turn phone into paper weight. But just two days in, love this SG3. EVO had 1.2 dual core and only 1gb of ram, SG3 just little faster cpu and 2gb of ram. Boy this thing has zero lag so far, evo had some lag doing things.

Reactions: struckn
Upvote 0
So going to try some flashing roms, with my evo v I just used WinRAR to put zip on the root of my sd card. Think read somewhere about 7 zip some prefer. Any thoughts on which is better or another one. Also any other must haves before start flashing from philz touch.

Six one way half dozen the other. I use WinRAR for all my zip needs personally. Read through my tutorial if you haven't already, it is stickied at the top of the VM root forum page, and read through the stickies posted by Britton as well. PM me or post if you need any specific guidance but I think you're gonna be fine.

Upvote 0
Six one way half dozen the other. I use WinRAR for all my zip needs personally. Read through my tutorial if you haven't already, it is stickied at the top of the VM root forum page, and read through the stickies posted by Britton as well. PM me or post if you need any specific guidance but I think you're gonna be fine.

Struckn is right, just like anything else on here, it all boils down to personal preference. My two cents, for my money, I use 7zip, exclusively. Why, you ask? Well, I like to cut/paste, edit, etc, stuff, right in the zip. With 7zip you can say, for instance, open the zip as is, without having to extract anything, and delete a rom .zip's apk's without having to go through the rig-a-ma-roll of extracting then rezipping. Just my preference...:)

Upvote 0
Struckn is right, just like anything else on here, it all boils down to personal preference. My two cents, for my money, I use 7zip, exclusively. Why, you ask? Well, I like to cut/paste, edit, etc, stuff, right in the zip. With 7zip you can say, for instance, open the zip as is, without having to extract anything, and delete a rom .zip's apk's without having to go through the rig-a-ma-roll of extracting then rezipping. Just my preference...:)

+1 for 7Zip

Reactions: tigerstv44
Upvote 0
I will have to defer to two of the people (Britton and JD) whose knowledge I trust the most and start giving 7zip a try. Granted I only use WinRAR for the most basic of modifications and deleting unwanted system apps, I am most definitely not a developer nor do I play one on TV, so anything JD says is going to be golden in my book!

Reactions: jdsingle76
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones