• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Voice Command List

I have about 700 contacts I consider personal contacts. High school, college and work friends, all the people I do biz with like cleaners, boat repair, people I have done business with in the past, who are now not just customers, but people I would consider friends. The for work I have a database of about 2500 people I can call on. Now I don't call on them all of course, but I want to have theme with me and accessible just in case I have some time and near them, I can pull them up, give them a call and stop by. I also want them in my phone in case they pick up the phone and call me. I know who I am picking up, what company they work for, and can make them feel like we we are more than just first time acquaintances. I don't have to say, "who is this? what firm are you with, ok what is your address?..... Also, by having them all, I don't have to segregate my database, then remember to add new people to groups so they show up on phone. The less I have to think about, the better!

Upvote 0
I can almost never get it to work. It just seems to beep and sit on the "listening" screen. Any adjustments?

This thing just takes a little getting used to. When you speak, don't have the phone a 1/2 inch from your face practically touching your lips. Secondly, just slow the command down a bit, it will miss if your talking quickly. It seems to have a limit on how fast one can speak correlating to hits and misses on your commands.

I've gotten it down to where it will bring up the commands probably 99% of the time. Slow and clear is the trick folks......

Upvote 0
Same hang problem here.....good thought about the number of contacts...I'd had 1500 as I've used gmail for several years.....email addys collect....I cleaned my list to as short as possible (most contacted) but it's still around 550. and it still hangs.

If I tell it to open calendar it's GREAT and fast, too. But it totally hangs on Call <name>

At any rate, was there a consensus on an alternative program? And if so, can it be set as the long press call button to activate?

Thank ya in advance!

(Just a side note as I am really loving the whole voice activation thing - I REALLY like handcent - I'm not a huge text messager AT ALL, but LOVE getting them now with being able to "speak" my reply. I know there are a lot of threads about it, but figured I'd throw it in here as it does the transcribe your voice thing)

Upvote 0
Ok after reading the posts here I tried hte green call button(to the left of the trackball) LOL Oh! Silly. Yes it brings up the right number most of the time if I speak slower than usual and clearly but I still have to look to hit the ok button. Is that how its supposed to be? Am I to understand I bought a phone with a voice dialer app that doesnt even work? because when I use the widget on the application menu it NEVER gets it right. Is there not a fix for this like there was for my Droid? :(:thinking:

Upvote 0
I'm confused (nothing new). When you do the voice search, to search google, is that a different program than the "voice dialer"? Because, the google voice search is very accurate for me, yet the voice dialer is very inaccurate.

Simple reason for that. Of course they're different programs, but that's not the reason.

Google Voice Search is accurate because it has the power and selectivity of Google and the entire internet's worth of data behind it. Have you noticed how google corrects your typos? It does the same to misunderstood words, and so will find the most likely thing you meant based on the huge database of Google.

Each google item also comes with a popularity ranking and a locality. Both can be used to guess which was your likely intention.

Your voice dialer has a much smaller database and also doesn't have any way to tell which items are more likely or more local, so the same software would be much less effective at guessing your intention.

Upvote 0
There is an app, TopVoiceControl (and you need to get TTS Service Extended app as well) that drastically improved voice recognition for me. The TTS Service enables the text-to-speech part of the app so it can talk back to you.

After you download the apps, press and hold the call button, and it will ask which program (TopVoiceControl or Voice Dialer) you want to use and set as default.

This has worked about 1000% better than just Voice Dialer for me.

First post on these forums...

I found this forum because I just got an Eris yesterday and couldn't understand why the voice dialer wouldn't work. Reading this thread is really depressing. Voice dial is one of the things I really want on my phone. I'm coming from a Samsung Omnia (Windows mobile) and that phone had a voice dial that worked 95% of the time.

So is Cheeto12's fix quoted above the best fix out there? Anyone else tried it? I just got the phone and am not real tech savvy so I'm not excited about installing extra apps and having to use two of them just to get an installed app to work.

Is the Incredible any better on this score?

Thanks,
john

Upvote 0
First post on these forums...

I found this forum because I just got an Eris yesterday and couldn't understand why the voice dialer wouldn't work. Reading this thread is really depressing. Voice dial is one of the things I really want on my phone. I'm coming from a Samsung Omnia (Windows mobile) and that phone had a voice dial that worked 95% of the time.

So is Cheeto12's fix quoted above the best fix out there? Anyone else tried it? I just got the phone and am not real tech savvy so I'm not excited about installing extra apps and having to use two of them just to get an installed app to work.

Is the Incredible any better on this score?

Thanks,
john

I doubt that the Incredible is better.

You may want to try the free app Vlingo to see if that works better for you.

Upvote 0
I doubt that the Incredible is better.

You may want to try the free app Vlingo to see if that works better for you.

Thanks.
I downloaded vlingo (precious little in the way of user guide) but as far as I can figure out, it uses a data connection. I'm on Page Plus and don't have much of a data plan. Speech to text would be nice but not necessary. Voice dial is what I NEED. I think voice dialing for just the saved contacts and individual numbers is something that a phone app should be able to handle without using data. My Omnia does it fine.

I need to find an app just for voice dial. I think it's amazing that HTC/Android put out a phone with such a dysfunctional voice dialer.

Upvote 0
Android is pretty new - 2.1 came out just 14 or 15 months after the first ever Android phone, and I am sure that voice dialing was not considered a critical, must-have item. This is a Google designed product, so the use of data should not be surprising - it allows a great deal of processing power on servers rather than a limited amount on the phone itself.

To answer a question you posted elsewhere, 2.2 will not help you - Google voice actions are also server-based.

I really think that Android was designed to be used not as a fancy feature phone but as a rather sophisticated client integrated with powerful internet services, so using it while limiting data is fine, if that's what you want, but you shouldn't be too surprised at the limitations that you place on yourself.

I hope you find a voice dialer you want, though.

Upvote 0
Android is pretty new - 2.1 came out just 14 or 15 months after the first ever Android phone, and I am sure that voice dialing was not considered a critical, must-have item. This is a Google designed product, so the use of data should not be surprising - it allows a great deal of processing power on servers rather than a limited amount on the phone itself.

To answer a question you posted elsewhere, 2.2 will not help you - Google voice actions are also server-based.

I really think that Android was designed to be used not as a fancy feature phone but as a rather sophisticated client integrated with powerful internet services, so using it while limiting data is fine, if that's what you want, but you shouldn't be too surprised at the limitations that you place on yourself.

I hope you find a voice dialer you want, though.

Maybe it's something they'll re-think or maybe they just figure the only customer they're interested in will be the one willing/able to pay for a healthy data stream but a good contacts dialer shouldn't need to access the web/cloud. That technology has been out for many a year.

Seems like they'd make the extended voice rec services an optional thing as there are a lot of customers who choose not to pay for data. Oh well, they seem to be doing ok so what do I know...

I'll look around for a different dialer that meets my needs but I'll also start looking at other android touch screens and (gag) windows based phones...

Thanks,
John

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones