• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Want to get new Dual Core

Hi everyone, I'm new here. Currently developing a 3d game for Android but struggling with an old phone! (HTC Hero) I'm looking to get a new dual core phone in the UK. There are 8 dual core phones (of which 5 are coming to the UK)

Motorola Atrix
Samsung Galaxy S2
LG Optimus 2X
LG Optimus 3d
HTC Sensation

Motorola Bionic (maybe)

All these phones will be available by about June 10. Only the 2X is available now. My contract ends 24th May and want to get out of contracts by buying one on PAYG but switching to a

if your developing a game for android, and its 3d wouldnt it be a good idea to use a 3d phone to test it on? im not a dev so im not sure, im positive you know what your talking about.

i have heard great things about the LG 2x but even better things about the optimus 3d!
im pretty positive HTC Sensation will have great benchmarks, but what about battery life pushing dual core? it has a fun time with single 1 ghz processors.

and as you said moto and the bootloader issue is a no go im sure, but would your position change if the bootloaders were cracked???

i just learn that you never settle for the cheaper thing, even though android the latest and greatest phone is quickly outdated (6 months) so good luck to you in your decision. if i could get one of those phones, IMO it would be the Optimus 3D, im just hoping an LG 3D phone would make its way to verizon, or any 3D phone for that matter. I want to test out LG anyway, cause i hear good things about them, but i want to form my own opinion

i hope your choice is made soon, what game are you developing? i would like to see it when its done! good luck to you. im sure that stuff can be a major headache

Upvote 0
I think the OP has made a fairly good analysis and I agree with his choice of LG O2X. It is relatively cheap and yet very powerful phone.
The 3D models would not add much value, but would simply increase phone weight and price.
Both Sensation and SGS2 will be expensive. Being flagships, they will attract enough crowed though. HTC is taking the path of locking bootloaders, so we don't know how long the bootloader of Sensation will remain locked.
The benchmark results of dual-cores should not be very much different from each other.

Upvote 0
Thanks for replying so quickly.

Yes, I forgot about the possibility that HTC may also be encrypting their bootloaders now, so another reason not to go with HTC this time around (and also the EVO 3D is not coming to the UK so currently the Optimus is the only 3d phone.)

My game is 3d but can run fine without the need for stereoscopic 3d that the optimus 3d uses. (It runs at 20-30fps on a HTC Desire) I'd like a 3d phone because it'll allow me to experiment with 3d in case it has potential to add something to the gameplay but the game I'm working needs the gyro to play so I'm wondering if the 3d will work if the player is tilting the screen all over the place! (I'm also pretty confident that no game could be designed to only work with stereoscopic 3d, so ultimately it is only a fun gimic rather than a necessity.) The Opt 3d has DUAL channel/dual data rate memory which I believe is resulting in such good benchmarks.

My worries about the 2X (I forgot to mention in the OP) are mostly in regards to the OS bugs and the poor screen quality (light bleeding) that some people have reported.

The last thing not in LG's favour, I guess, is that both models only have 512mb memory (some of which is already taken up by the OS). They both have a decent amount of internal storage, but can you run apps from it and is there a difference in their performance compared to the actual memory.

Thanks again!

Upvote 0
HTC is taking the path of locking bootloaders, so we don't know how long the bootloader of Sensation will remain locked.

Yes, I forgot about the possibility that HTC may also be encrypting their bootloaders now, so another reason not to go with HTC this time around (and also the EVO 3D is not coming to the UK so currently the Optimus is the only 3d phone.)

There is no indication that HTC is on a path to more secure bootloaders. Pure FUD.

http://androidforums.com/htc-evo-3d/329819-no-need-panic-about-locked-bootloader.html

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones