• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Weird goings on... everything wiped, almost

nah just the ubcd4win programs.

NTFS getdataback is good, but I need FAT. To be honest, I think I may give up and start from the ground up (almost). May go Amon RA now I know I can use it with MTD

Got a link to the best version please? The experimental one?

the experimental one has been rock solid for me
the only thing he changed was sd-ext as the 2.0.0 only backed up apps within sd-ext and nothing custom
2.0.1 works like clockwork by backing up anything in ext

Upvote 0
OK recovered Nandroid from SD
Copied Nandroid to SD
Restored Nandroid
Patched Boot
Booted, Looked good
Formatted NAND
Changed MTD
Patched Recovery
Rebooted Recovery
Flashed GV 1.3
Flashed my app
Restored DATA and CACHE only
Patched Boot
Lovely Jubly

Handy recovery did the job for me. Version 1.0 is free. I extracted it from ubcd4win, but anyone interested, heres the link to a direct download

Handy Recovery 1.0 - Free software downloads and software reviews - CNET Download.com

Upvote 0
ah but the saga continues. The modified GV I flashed earlier will not now boot properly.

When I log cat it I get:

Code:
--------- beginning of /dev/log/main
E/logwrapper(   77): executing /system/xbin/busybox failed: No suc
 directory
I/logwrapper(   71): /system/xbin/busybox terminated by exit(255)
But My nandroid works but now for some reason, it always says system is 90MB, free space none.

Neither the MTD or hboot specifies that though...

Jusr reflashed CWM and repatched. Restoring nandroid for patching right now.

If I get the right partitions now, itll be good but Im still missing mms.apk and browser.apk

May have to push them IF I can get the partitions right

God knows whats going on now :(

If I do get teh partitions back maybe CWM (patched) is to blame.

Upvote 0
I've failed more than you know. I've been racking my brain as to why my partitions are standard N1 partitions. Just realised there was a typo in mtdpartmap.txt file name.

Serious, I am not touching the phone this weekend. I need time off. These earlies are killing me

Wait...the reason for this whole thread was...a typo? No CWM hiccup? Some other intricate and puzzling corruption caused by the ineffability of the Desire? Or maybe a conspiracy centering on Leeds? What a letdown:D
I'm glad your are back on track though!;)

Upvote 0
Well this happened again today...

I was messing with my installed ROM and decided to flash back over it. Flashed a known good rom.zip, known good kernel.zip

Hung at extracting system files for longer than expected. I was about to pull the battery out when it said finished.

Corrupt /system partition and entire SD card wiped!!!!

Upvote 0
i think something is up with the sdcard tbh.
upon thinking more correctly it does have to mount sdcard to to read the files.
when you flash it is unpacking on the fly while writing to the various partitions that it has read from the updater script

While its not the same, its similar behaviour to when rom manager fks up and wipes card then usb bricks the device to add insult to injury

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones