• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Went from 1.5 to OTA? You can still Root! (NOT for leakers)

pkopalek

Android Expert
Dec 19, 2009
Buffalo, NY
For anyone who's NOT on a LEAKED version of 2.1, you can still Root.

We have verified that the PB00IMG.zip goes through its checking process, and asks to update. It looks very much like the Root PB00IMG.zip IS able to be flashed over any phones that went from 1.5 to OTA 2.1.

So anyone who's holding back on going from 1.5 to OTA 2.1, for fear that they wont' be able to root, let your fears disappear.

Thank you all for your information in my information collection thread.

http://androidforums.com/htc-droid-eris/78458-attn-leakers-otad-not-1-5-otaers.html

Special thanks to ssgtob1 who bravely tested booting up in HBOOT with the Root PB00IMG.zip on his SD card.

Thank you for your help, and anyone who DIDN'T leak, we STILL have you covered for Root. Go ahead and follow any set of normal directions for 1.5 to root, and you should be all set to Root your phone.

FOR LEAKERS: Some exploits are still being explored. I hope something comes to fruition. You will know as soon as anyone knows. I promise.

Thanks,
Paul

So basically, if we're having audio bugs and browser crashes on v.3, we should get our phone swapped? I'm a bit concerned about going in there though considering caddy said that they can tell what version of android you're supposed to be running.

This also contradicts what the VZWSupport guys said about us v3 leakers getting the OTA.

Upvote 0
So basically, if we're having audio bugs and browser crashes on v.3, we should get our phone swapped? I'm a bit concerned about going in there though considering caddy said that they can tell what version of android you're supposed to be running.

This also contradicts what the VZWSupport guys said about us v3 leakers getting the OTA.

Did I miss something. Last time I saw, they can only tell that you are running 2.1 or 1.5. If you go in, they should assume that you got the upgrade and swap your phone (if there is a problem with it).

Upvote 0
Did I miss something. Last time I saw, they can only tell that you are running 2.1 or 1.5. If you go in, they should assume that you got the upgrade and swap your phone (if there is a problem with it).

This is true. Just say that you got the OTA update, and that it's been happening since then. That might work until they investigate and see the upgraded HBOOT. They could easily tell if they knew what they were looking for, but they probably wouldn't even look for the most part, unless the boot animation is different between OTA and v3. I bet it's the same.

And for root stuff,

http://androidforums.com/all-things-root-eris/45242-rooting-q.html

Reactions: Hypo Luxa
Upvote 0
This is true. Just say that you got the OTA update, and that it's been happening since then. That might work until they investigate and see the upgraded HBOOT. They could easily tell if they knew what they were looking for, but they probably wouldn't even look for the most part, unless the boot animation is different between OTA and v3. I bet it's the same.

And for root stuff,

http://androidforums.com/all-things-root-eris/45242-rooting-q.html

I'd say that the chances of a VZW tech noticing the different bootloader is slim to none.

Upvote 0
can we get a confirmation from someone who has performed the OTA install and re-rooted?

I have done the OTA manually.....did not lose any apps.....and I have gone into HBOOT and tried the pb00img.zip.....it recognises it and ask if I want to upgrade.....I just have to wait on a full battery before I can tell it yes to upgrade(dont want to risk anything)

Upvote 0
ok, I realize this is probably a really stupid question, but I keep seeing the word 'root' tossed around. What exactly is this 'root' of which you speak?

Having the software on a device "rooted" means, over simply, that you have much, much more access to configuration ares than non-rooted devices.

It's a unix/linux term. Root gives you administration privileges, basically.

Upvote 0
okay so with all this commotion about root, 1. 5 to OTA, and all those leakers wanting root/OTA ... If I understand this correctly those who update to the 2. 1 OTA can still root with the method already available. so would it be correct to say everyone will be able to root (leakers) after they update to 2. 1 OTA as well? if that's the case then root just opened up to anyone again or am I missing something?

Sent from my Eris using Tapatalk

Upvote 0
okay so with all this commotion about root, 1. 5 to OTA, and all those leakers wanting root/OTA ... If I understand this correctly those who update to the 2. 1 OTA can still root with the method already available. so would it be correct to say everyone will be able to root (leakers) after they update to 2. 1 OTA as well? if that's the case then root just opened up to anyone again or am I missing something?

Sent from my Eris using Tapatalk

Im thinking no.
The reason 1.5 to OTA people can still root is because the OTA file did not contain a new boot loader. Those people stayed on their original boot loader which allows root.
The people who leaked got a new boot loader in the leak. Since the OTA does not contain a new boot loader, those leakers will remain on the boot loader that came with the leak which prevents them from rooting.
Correct?

Upvote 0
OK so here is the news so far......I have loaded just the HBOOT from the rooted pb00img.zip and am currently working on installing the recovery image via fastboot as mentioned here: [Tutorial] Wanna Backup Before U Get Root?! Heres How U Can - xda-developers

So far 1.5 to OTA and then rooting afterwards is looking very very good. If I can get the recovery partition in there then I can get a nandroid backup of my phone woth the 2.1OTA and the new HBOOT and this should help the devs out quite a bit.

I'll keep going and keep all of you posted on my progress.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones