• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Went walking w/ phone in pocket Touchscreen won't work/can't unlock phone/

janetch5

Lurker
Apr 24, 2011
Hello,
I went for my nightly walk and had my Droid 2 in my pocket. Got back home and the green light won't turn off and the whole phone would not work. The touchscreen isn't working. There was some condensation on the screen that looks like it has dried leaving some dots. The water moisture thingy in the battery compartment shows normal but the screen will not work and I can't unlock the phone. I need some help.

Touch screen not working, could be problem with your software... might suggest backing up your data and doing a factory reset. Could be a hardware problem, the little ribbon cable that connects the digitizer to the mother board could have become loose at the connector, or the cable could have become damaged, or the cable could no longer be making electrical contract to the digitizer. The input diodes to the chip the connects to the digitizer could have been blow due to an ESD event. There could be contamination on the trunk lines from the digitizer to the mother board processing chip. The digitizer itself could be bad.

If you suspect hardware, could open the Droid up and check the connectors and maybe use some canned air and isopropel alcohol on a swab to clean any suspect contamination. Worst case is, you might have to replace the digitizer. Opening up that phone is not fun, replacing the digitizer is even worse. I've never done it, but am certain the phone will never be the same atleast looks wise. There are several places that will do it, but are expensive. Best advice is, go back to your carrier and upgrade.

For now, get a magnet... touch the magnet to the back of phone right above the motorola embossment. Then use your keyboard to go to the market place and down load a NO SCREEN LOCK app.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones