• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

what do you use your HDMI cable for (EVO)?

Is there anyway to output the emulators like in this video?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B0lngKZ-bgU

I haven't been following it lately, but the developer who made that app for the Droid X said he was thinking abut doing it for the EVO, he just didnt have an EVO to work with.

And the HDMI on the EVO is a lil more functional than the Droid X's. He did an amazing job with what he had to work with on the Droid X. He probably could have did full mirroring on the EVO. We may never know now...

Upvote 0
Be warned -- not all the cheap cables are created equal. The one (so far) that I got was a dud.

I was thinking how great it was to finally have a portable device that can do pretty decent video output on the go, but then I saw this was HDMI only. I was thinking it would be great for the car for the kids to watch something, great to bring into the hotel (or wherever), or even use it at school or the office for a slideshow via a projector, but even in these modern, techie times, how many car video systems offer a HDMI connection? How many hotels? How many projectors at the office or school? Yeah, that would be none.

HDMI output is nice bragging rights, but it's...well...stupid. Just a regular ol' composite video/audio out would've been the most compatible and therefore useful. No, not the greatest resolution, but c'mon...it's a frickin' phone. The largest capacity SDHC card anyone can reasonably afford at the moment is 16GB. At the most, that's about 25 movies encoded with questionable quality for a big screen. And, oops...our SD card slot is under the battery, which is under a three-layer Seidio Innocase Rugged for me. Yeah, I'm not switching out that 16GB card anytime soon, especially not because the kids are whining about the same old assortment of movies.

My declaration: Not a useful feature.

Therefore, I use the HDMI cable for....nothing. ;)

Upvote 0
The last 4 hotels I stayed at all had HDTVs with HDMI ports. You will see more & more projectors with HDMI just as it is becoming a standard feature for monitors. BTW I haven't tried it but I would think you could use an HDMI to DVI adapter for projectors since DVI uses the same video standard as the video carried by HDMI (main difference being that DVI does not carry audio).

The problem with HDMI on the EVO is that the phone doesn't utilize it fully. The fact that it has HDMI is not a flaw in & of itself. HDMI-equipped displays will certainly become more ubiquitous as time passes.

Re: composite analog output, I agree that it would be nice to have, but it would be a weak selling point, you'd need a special dongle for it and/or it would adversely affect the form factor-- plus I'm sure there would be some screeching from movie companies over having a phone with an analog output (even if it's standard def).

Upvote 0
You must be staying at much higher end hotels than me. Haha. Seriously, the last trip to a Disney World resort resulted in a flat panel TV in the room but no access to HDMI ports. Even most new TVs don't put those where they're easily accessible. The Evo is just too cutting edge for our own good.

Regarding Blockbuster, yeah they're going out of business but you got to give it to them -- they managed to get their app on the Evo ROM, and at least they have an Android app. Netflix developers claim they can't figure out the DRM issues associated with Android. Weird how they can for the iPad and iPhone, eh?

Upvote 0
When I first heard the Evo had a HDMI output, I thought it was for EVERYTHING you do on the Evo. So I bought one off Amazon and tried and nothing worked til I tried videos/pictures. YouTube didn't work for me at first and then it worked after I jiggled it lol

Now...I haven't touched it in months. It's pretty worthless really unless I took a shot at a birthday party or something or wanted to show off how cool my Evo is to iPhone owners ;)

But other than that, never use it...hoping to find a ROM or something that can let me put everything I do from the Evo to the tv. That would be sweet. :D

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones