• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

What iPhone does better than Android

happy0506

Jul 24, 2010
chicago
Okay, before you track down my IP address and gather up your lynch mob, let me say I am a die hard Android fan / user. I have had an Android as my phone since the My Touch 3G and currently use a Nexus 4. However, work issued me an iPhone that I used for about a year and there were a few things that I did like about it:

1. Centralized location for notifications. iOS has in the settings, one place to go to manage the notifications for all the apps. I liked this a lot. There have been many times when I install a new app like Calendar Snooze or a messaging app that I have to hunt down which app and where in the app to manage the notifications because I get duplicate alerts. Sometimes I avoid trying new apps because I know I’m going to have to hunt and search for the notification settings in the apps to get it how I want it. If Android added a Notification Center that allowed me to easily say I want this app to notify for this and turn off this app, I would love that functionality.

2. Transferring all the apps and settings from one iPhone to a new iPhone is easier. My girlfriend just upgraded to the new 5s and iOS has a procedure that brought over all her settings and apps from her old iPhone. I really wish Android had this functionality, especially when it comes to having to recreate my home screens after I get a new phone or the dreaded factory reset. I know this can be done with certain apps if you root, but I haven’t rooted my phone since my Nexus One. I would love for Android to add a much better backup and restore that would allow me to do factory resets or phone upgrades where it downloads all my apps and recreates all my home screens.

3. There is one way to do things. This isn’t a positive for me, but it is for many iPhone users. The big knock Android has over iOS is that they have to do things Apple’s way. While that makes me cringe and I hate it, this is a big plus for the tech unsavvy. My girlfriend will never take the time to learn the tricks in Android. She loves that this is how she does X task, and it will be the same when she upgrades to the next iPhone. The lack of innovation we see from Apple is in part to keep those who don’t want change because they just want to do what they are used to doing and don’t want to learn a whole new process. I have helped a few friends over the years that have jumped from iOS to Android and they hate it at first. Usually because the home screens confuse them. I show them how to add apps, widgets and shortcuts to the home screens. Some of them love it because they see all the possibilities of what they can do. However, some of them hate it because they don’t want to have to think about how to lay out the phone. They just want it to do it. I can somewhat understand it. If Android wants to seriously siphon off iPhone users, it should have some sort of Simple Mode or something to dumb down the functionality of Android. Kind of like training wheels for the people that are Apple challenged. Then, over time, they can start venturing out to other Android abilities.

4. iOS is iOS. I can also appreciate that the iPhone user can share tips and tricks with any other iPhone user. Everything is the same from one iPhone to another. With all the overlay software from the different manufacturers, many functions can be different and/or not available from one Android phone to another. Sitting around a few weeks ago, a friend of mine was trying to tell me how to do X function. We figured out that it was because it was part of Samsung’s TouchWiz and I didn’t have it as part of my stock Android on my Nexus. The differences from one Android phone to another is a good and bad thing. In one way it is good because one manufacturer might add something that is really popular and then added to the others. However, it also detracts from one Android user being able to share with another. Sure, I could have hunted down an app to do what his phone did, but it wasn’t that big of a function, so I never got around to it.

All that being said, I would never purchase an iPhone for myself. However, I don’t think iPhone users are all dumb as rocks. Some have been sucked into the Apple ecosystem and getting out would be a ton of work and/or expensive. Some are just people that don’t need all the cool things Android does and Apple is good enough. Some have learned how to do their 7 things on an iPhone and don’t want to learn how to do it all over again in Android. For me, and I’m assuming most of the people on this forum, appreciate what Android allows me to do and could never take a step back to iOS. However, it would be nice to add a few things to Android that would continue to make the experience better for all of us.

Have to agree with everything you say. Even though, like you, I would never buy an iOS device. In fact, my missus keeps threatening to buy me an iPad and I keep threatening that, if she does, I'm going to marry her just so I can divorce her :D

One thing I'd add to your list: the Music player - the iPhone one is OK while the default Android one is simply the worst music app ever devised. Google must have employed a team of particularly vicious demons to design it.

Upvote 0
1. Centralized location for notifications ... I would love that functionality.

I'd like that, too. Although, given Android's diversity of devices and versions (aka 'fragmentation' :rolleyes:) I don't know if that can be a system feature. Perhaps there could be an app for that. ;)

2. Transferring all the apps and settings from one iPhone to a new iPhone is easier... I would love for Android to add a much better backup and restore that would allow me to do factory resets or phone upgrades where it downloads all my apps and recreates all my home screens.

Going from an iPhone 4s to a 5s is not such a big leap as going from a Samsung Galaxy S2 to a Moto X. I'd hate to have to give up the flexibility of choosing my launcher and homescreens for the sake of convenience. While backing up, restoring or transferring accounts between Android devices is a little involved and can be a bit confusing at times, consider all the compromises you'd have to make for something that would be done maybe once a year, if that.

3. There is one way to do things ... While that makes me cringe and I hate it, this is a big plus for the tech LAZY. My girlfriend will never take the time to learn the tricks in Android.

I fixed that for you. Honestly, it bugs the bejeezus out of me when people use the excuse of being "computer illiterate" or not techy enough to understand things when it's simply a matter of not taking the time to bother. At some point we all had to learn how to tie our shoes rather than wear loafers and cry about shoelaces being too hard.

If Android wants to seriously siphon off iPhone users, it should have some sort of Simple Mode or something to dumb down the functionality of Android. Kind of like training wheels for the people that are Apple challenged. Then, over time, they can start venturing out to other Android abilities.

That ship has sailed. According to IDC as of November last year Android phones held over 80% market share while iOS dropped to under 13%. I don' tknow that there's much left to siphon off. As for ease of use, new iPhone users face a similar learning curve. Only iOS upgraders don't face the probability of needing to learn something since iOS hasn't changed much to the user in the last 4 years.

4. iOS is iOS.

Ironic, isn't it, given that Apple shifted from it's iconic "Think Different" commercial to a position of Draconian consistency.

... it would be nice to add a few things to Android that would continue to make the experience better for all of us.

I think that's always been the plan. ;)

Reactions: Unforgiven
Upvote 0
One thing i noticed:

Google does backup your apps and data if you allow it to. It'll be restored when you sign into your new phone

Sort of. Depending on the app and the device, the apps get reinstalled but the settings and data may not restore properly. It's better than nothing, or requiring an app, but it's far from foolproof.

Reactions: Rxpert83
Upvote 0
Nice write-up, happy0506.

I've never delved too deeply into the iOS ecosystem, but I've supported a lot of users and and family members rock iDevices. I think I can agree with most of what you have said, at least when you look at things from an iOS user's perspective. Really, I don't think that it's necessarily that iOS (or Android) does certain things better, but rather that each OS is best suited to different types of users. As you mentioned, for someone who want their phone to "just work," iOS is likely the better choice - and that's fine! But if someone wants to customize their experience to make it their own (or even have the ability to choose from a variety of entirely different devices with entirely different capabilities), Android would be the logical choice.

Overall, though, you did a great job of comparing the two. Bravo!

Upvote 0
Very good comparison! I lived in both worlds for quite some time and agree with you on almost everything you said....but I ended up using android exclusively in the end simply because I'm the type of person who can't leave a phone/tablet alone, I've always got to change/fix/update something and android is the platform for us obsessive-compulsive types ;)
Apple has done it's job creating a simple, easy to use and rock stable OS, but it's just too plain and boring for most geeks. A little customization would go a long way in getting more folks on board.

Reactions: Unforgiven
Upvote 0
A Great Write up :)

I have to agree with Luna though it really boils down to people being technologically lazy.

Think of an automobile. There are all kinds of auto's out there some with different features than others. We however take the necessary time to learn how to use or vehicles. Take for instance the radio. This is probably one of the first things you take the time to learn how to use. My old truck had a basic radio in it so learning how to use it wasn't hard to figure out however my Dad has a Lexus and his radio is digital and touch screen. So it takes a little bit longer in learning how to use it. The radio in his car gives you all kinds of information about the song being played. Like the title and artist. My old radio only displayed the station.

Current technology is the same way. There are different flavors for different uses. While some companies work to make things as easy for the end user as they can others are not so user friendly. In the end its up to us to learn how to use the device's we purchase. Just like you look at several vehicles and may even do some research to find out which is going to be the best value for you we need to do the same with everything we purchase.

Yes iOS offers things that Android doesn't with out assistance from third party apps. Just like Windows and Android have things that iOS doesn't in the end its pretty much a give and take. We sometimes have to sacrifice convenience for functionality.

Upvote 0
i liked my iPhone 4 and iOS until Jony Ive ruined it in iOS 7, which just looks horrible. i really missed my legal pad notepad, and i hate the white with thin font apps. everything became too basic (as in why do i have a retina display if i'm basically looking at a UI that now looks like it came from the days of CGA graphics?).

Cue the Samsung Galaxy SIII. :) might even sell my iPad since i just cannot stand looking at iOS 7. i keep the Mac as i could at least downgrade on it but iOS it's impossible to downgrade even if jailbroken. Jony Ive not only hated the older iOS but he makes it impossible to go back now. even with a jailbreak. he wants to forget the early versions ever existed. ironically enough Android adoption skyrocketed shortly after iOS 7 came out. what really sucks is that i am sure if Steve Jobs had been alive when Ivy decided to mess around he'd have fired that man in an instant.

Did iOS need some changes? yup! did it need to change for the sake of change? nope!. Control Center and such could have been added without the radical change from 3-D to 2-D PS/2 era graphics.

Upvote 0
i liked my iPhone 4 and iOS until Jony Ive ruined it in iOS 7, which just looks horrible. i really missed my legal pad notepad, and i hate the white with thin font apps. everything became too basic (as in why do i have a retina display if i'm basically looking at a UI that now looks like it came from the days of CGA graphics?).

Try this...
How to Change Fonts on Notes.App for an iPhone | eHow
...you might be able to change it back to your beloved Marker Felt. ;) ...assuming that typeface is still in iOS 7. Unfortunately you won't get the yellow legal pad appearance back though, not unless you roll-back to a previous version of iOS.

Upvote 0
it isn't the font so much (comic sans? hello Microsoft Lawsuit!) i just liked the skeuomorphism and it just looked awesome on a screen capable of pulling off 3-D well. oh well, Samsung has me for the time being, after all, my love of nature, and Samsung combining the best of both flat design with a touch of skeuomorphism, as well as a neat little nature theme that i never really appreciated at first, along with voice controls that are superior to the ones in Google Experience Launcher. once i de-Googled it and took out all the redundant stuff, and turned some things on and off, it is awesome. now i have a device every bit as reliable as my iPhone 4 and none of the annoyances i used to get from Android, which i think the blame really was on Google Play not Android. who knew? oh well. works fine now. Apple, you lost me.

Whenever iOS fails, Samsung provides. as in the updated S Memo app, it gives me what iOS gave up on:

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones