• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Accessories What Is Everyone Doing For Your Micro SD Upgrade

I'm currently using the OG 2GB card that comes with the Vibrant. I really wanted to get a 32GB Card soon, but hooooollllyyyyy cow I didn't know they cost $200! At that price I may just get an 8GB card and call it quits for a while.

What's the cheapest 16GB card I can get that runs at a decent speed? How much faster do class 4's or class 6's run than the default card in this phone?

If you want the "cheapest" card and you care nothing about warranty, the class rating or transfer rate/access time, etc. then I would look at ebay. There you can get some very cheap cards - however, buyer beware. I went that route and had one or two fail after awhile (data corruption, become unreadable etc) or turned out to be incompatible with my electronics/readers. Also, the cheaper cards seldom operate at the speeds that they claim. In short, it's a crap shoot when you buy a cheap card.

I decided to go with a Kingston 16GB Class 4 card, I paid $37.99 with free shipping. It comes with a lifetime warranty and Amazon customer service - which is excellent. Amazon.com: Kingston 16 GB Class 4 MicroSD Flash Card with 2 Adapters (Mini and SD) SDC4/16GB-2ADP: Electronics

Upvote 0
I'm currently using the OG 2GB card that comes with the Vibrant. I really wanted to get a 32GB Card soon, but hooooollllyyyyy cow I didn't know they cost $200! At that price I may just get an 8GB card and call it quits for a while.

What's the cheapest 16GB card I can get that runs at a decent speed? How much faster do class 4's or class 6's run than the default card in this phone?

I got one of these:

Amazon.com: Transcend 8 GB microSDHC Class 6 Flash Memory Card TS8GUSDHC6E: Electronics

Upvote 0
Not bad. I will probably be getting a 16Gb soon. When I said cheap I didn't mean buying the cheapest card possible, but getting a class 6 over a 10 for example.

Is it worth it to get a class 6 or is a 4 good enough? When you buy these in stores do they come with lifetime warranties? Is there any way to backup your data incase your card breaks?

Upvote 0
Not bad. I will probably be getting a 16Gb soon. When I said cheap I didn't mean buying the cheapest card possible, but getting a class 6 over a 10 for example.

Is it worth it to get a class 6 or is a 4 good enough? When you buy these in stores do they come with lifetime warranties? Is there any way to backup your data incase your card breaks?

You can always back up the data on the SD card to your computer. Just copy the files over to a dedicated folder; you might even be able to use a syncing program to make it that much easier.

I would think, especially if you have video stored on the card, you'd want a Class 6 over a Class 4. For regular file storage I really don't think it's going to make a significant difference. As far as the warranty on a card goes, it depends on the manufacturer.

Upvote 0

I think a class 4 is plenty fast unless you are always in a big hurry to load many gigabytes of movies, MP3's etc. to the card. My class 4 card will accept data at approximately 1GB every 1 minute 12 seconds. So loading 10 GB would take 12 minutes. A class 10 would cut the time in half. Also a class 10 would cut the media scanning times down accordingly. The stock class 2 card writes at approximately 1 GB every 2.1 minutes.

Keep in mind that the onboard HD video recorder works just fine with the included class 2 card. I don't think the higher class cards are especially worth the premium unless you are going to be using the card in another device that requires the faster read/write speeds. If this card is just for your phone go with a class 2 or 4 and be done with it.

You will need to look at the manufacturers warranty information wherever you buy. Look for a company that has been around and has a good reputation. Look at the reviews.

Upvote 0
Well I gave in to impulse and pushed the button on the Sandisk 32gb when it dropped to $102. It's a class 2. Going on a trip, didn't want to mess with multiple cards. Lazy, I know! I'll let y'all know how it works (beyond long write times).

I wouldn't worry about the long write times too much, sure it would be nice to have a faster card but at what cost? Worst case is it will take you about an hour to fill up your card if you are totally filling it with movies, MP3's etc. Even if that is your plan, you just start the transfer and do something else for an hour or so.

Now if you had to do that every day, then perhaps it might be a different story. You could fully load a Class 10 card in about 20 minutes or less.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones