• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help What is google play services?

You can always uninstall the updates and you'll just have the stock android market (id suggest going into your settings and disablimg auto sync if you domt want those updates to pop up again)

i dont think that had anything to do with it lol i always have auto sync disabled and the play services popped up on mine. at first they were doing it OTA but then they decided that if people wanted it they could just download it themselves

Upvote 0
I don't know where it came from. I wish they wouldn't install things on your phone without asking you.

My touchpal keyboard stopped working, so I uninstalled and tried to r-download. (9.7MB, 14MB free).

No space. (I don't understand why). So I just nuked google play services, re-installed and have 18MB free.

Which also doesn't add up.

btw, why can some things not b put on the SD card? Most of mine are, but some biggies like Hotmail or the keyboard won't go.

I've got a 2 and a half year old HTC. Could have had a free upgrade 6 months ago, but haven't bothered.

This phone pretty much fine for me. All I use are the download over wifi media stuff (like the BBC, Guardian, Independent and economist) so I have something to read on the tube or bus without having to pay for a newspaper.

My touchpal keyboard (once you've got used to the swype style, you can't go back), dictionary, hotmail just so my phone bings when I have a new email (almost never replied from the phone) and the internet so I can check the cricket scores when I'm out and about.

I don't really need much more, so I can't really justify an upgrade which will cost more (when I could go sim-only and keep the handset now, which would then cost even less.)

But an extra few meg of phone storage would be nice - especially when there are loads of in-built apps I can't move to SD or can't uninstall that I don't want and never use.

However, when they bring out the BBC iplayer with download, I just hope I have enough space to install it, and that it moves to SD.

When I first got the phone, there were two unofficial versions. I was great - you could watch the progs you'd downloaded when on the tub. (Myplayer and Beebplayer I think they were called). But the BBC killed them off - and we're still waiting for an official app 2 years later.

Why didn't they just buy the code?

Anyone got any other space saving techniques?

Cos nuking this play services thing has really helped me.

Thanks for the thread - I read this and then decided to nuke it.

:)

Upvote 0
It's ridiculous for Google to install this "app" without asking for authorization. Mine took 13 MB from my storage, as such, I have uninstall several of my other apps to avoid LOW STORAGE WARNING. Why do they need this anyway since Google Play has been working fine! If they really want to force this onto their users, they should give them an option to opt out! From what I can tell, this "app" does not improve any of Google Play operation, just another useless junk. Maybe if we complain enough, Google will let users to have the option to opt out.

For those who gave 5 stars in play.google.com, what are you thinking? Maybe those are being rated by Google employees?

Upvote 0
While tryin 2 free up room I've accidentally uninstalled google play serives now unable to get internet & use apps..PLEASE HELP!! How can I get backonline to re install it?? Any help greatly appreciated!!!!
Go on to google, search google play services and there should be a link for it on the online google play store, click the link andsomething should pop up on your screen saying do you want to use "internet" or if you want to use "google play" click google play and you will be redirected to the google play services page on the google play app, you should be able to get it back from there, also make sure that on the google play services page one of the options say "deactivate" if it says "activate" then click it to activate your google play services, using this method you should be able to get it back but i am not 100% sure

Upvote 0
Go on to google, search google play services and there should be a link for it on the online google play store, click the link andsomething should pop up on your screen saying do you want to use "internet" or if you want to use "google play" click google play and you will be redirected to the google play services page on the google play app, you should be able to get it back from there, also make sure that on the google play services page one of the options say "deactivate" if it says "activate" then click it to activate your google play services, using this method you should be able to get it back but i am not 100% sure

or just wait until your phone notices it and installs google play services automatically...

Upvote 0
Mine takes up 33 Mb... I really want to uninstall it, but I'm also afraid of something going wrong because of it.

If it downloads itself like this, then it could at least have something to explain its necessity.

Um. without Google Play Services most Google-made applications will NOT update and/or work as most of them rely on this now. Sorry for such a late reply and for ultimately reviving this month-old thread. :/

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones