• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

What is it doing when it is apparently turned off?

Hi,

As I'm quite new to the Android world, I am wondering how something particular works. Here is what I am now investigating. When I deactivate my Android phone, I push the power button, and the screen then shows nothing more, i.e. it looks deactivated. But when I push back the power button, say, 2 hours after, it directly notices me that I have a new message, if so. How can it know this, if it was shut down? Is the whole device in some standby mode when you turn it off like that? So, does the antenna still works in this case? Is it the right way to use an Android phone? I.e. if somebody calls me, will I be noticed of this call if I deactivate my phone as mentioned above? Or should I let it always turned on for real (i.e. with screen acting, etc.)?

Thanks.

Are you turning the phone off or just putting it in sleep mode? I'm going to assume that the Desire is going to be similar to the Dream (G1) or Magic. If I push the power button once quickly, the phone goes to sleep and the screen will turn off. When it's in sleep mode, I will still receive phone calls, emails, text messages, etc. However, if I press and hold the power button I will get some options. Silent mode, Airplane mode, Power off, etc. This is how you turn the phone completely off and you won't receive anything while the phone is in this state.
I hope this helps some.
Cheers!

Upvote 0
As one has already noted, it sounds like you are simply putting the phone in sleep mode. If you press the power button, it will put the phone in sleep. If you HOLD the power button, a box will pop up that will give you the option to shut the phone completely down. When a phone is in sleep mode, it still uses some battery, and still keeps in communication with the towers so as to alert you of new emails via push, or new text messages, etc. It also enables it to still receive phone calls. So if you're ever wanting to actually turn the phone completely off, be sure to hold the power button down to do so!

Hope that helps as a little bit more of an explanation!

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones