• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help What is keeping my handset awake?

Vivisectt

Sep 5, 2010
Trying to maximize battery but notice my phone wakes up a lot when it should be sleeping. I have auto sync off and this is happening even after a factory reset. Is this normal or is anyone else having this issue?

Attachments

• 2011-08-30_13-01-23.jpg
    2011-08-30_13-01-23.jpg
    36.3 KB · Views: 131
I've tried several roms and they all have the wake issue with 2.3.4. It basically doesn't happen with 2.3.3, though. The odd thing is I would estimate the blips to be something like 2-3 hours over an 8 hour period, but if I look at awake time on the previous screen it's more like awake for 30 minutes or something. Not really sure what's going on.

Upvote 0
Trying to maximize battery but notice my phone wakes up a lot when it should be sleeping. I have auto sync off and this is happening even after a factory reset. Is this normal or is anyone else having this issue?

I've noticed this as well, however I have far fewer blips than you have. So the few blips that I have had, while annoying, have not worried me too much. I consider them normal. Probably some un-used background app that is built into the system and wakes up to try to update, like 'Stocks' 'News' or 'Weather'.
I'm super stock no root, all my options are set to sync manually (excluding the few that cannot be). I keep all radios off - except when in use, and no background data. Power saver is off, power efficiency is off, Fast boot is off, Date and time is set to manual, Updates are all set to manual, Not backing up to Google, 'Tell HTC' is off, etc. etc.

I've tried several roms and they all have the wake issue with 2.3.4. It basically doesn't happen with 2.3.3, though. The odd thing is I would estimate the blips to be something like 2-3 hours over an 8 hour period, but if I look at awake time on the previous screen it's more like awake for 30 minutes or something. Not really sure what's going on.

I had these blips with 2.3.3 as well, so I don't think this can be ruled out.

Upvote 0
My settings are identical in 2.3.3 and 2.3.4 and I use push mail but the awake cycles look drastically different when the phone isn't being used. I may get a few screen-not-in-use wakes in 2.3.3, but in the new version it looks exactly like what Vivisectt posted.

I suppose it could be "normal" but I'm hesitant to say it because I don't think it's normal that the phone has a 40% wake time when it's not in use.

Maybe it's just a bug with the battery?

Upvote 0
I have noticed the same behavior ever since the 2.3.4 update. However, I have an app that tell me exactly what is keeping my phone awake. I used it often before the update and have now used it afterward. The difference? Android system alarm manager is what is keeping our phones awake.

I haven't noticed any extra drain with the increased awake time, though. My opinion is that Google changed the way it reported awake stats with the .4 update and is now more encompassing in that battery graph view.

The app is:
https://market.android.com/details?id=com.asksven.betterbatterystats

Here is my awake time after the update:

RZkEX.jpg

Upvote 0
I noticed it as well. I got the phone 6/21 and started a thread about this about 3-4 days later called "Up time versus awake time". The mods moved it and buried it on page 234,437,894 of the battery thread and it got no love. So it is not just a 2.3.4 deal. Like everyone has said, it does not appear to have any effect on battery life. It is just a little disconcerting to see your phone awake that much after monitoring previous handsets(ie Evo 4G that had a ratio of about 20% awake time to almost 40% on the 3vo...on average).

Upvote 0
It's not a rogue app or G+, at least on my end. I can do a factory reset, reboot and then literally not touch the phone over night and the battery charts will look like that in the morning.

As others have said, it's not so much that battery life is affected, more that I'm a control freak and like to know what's keeping my phone awake (and possibly sending my secrets to the gubment).

Upvote 0
About a month ago I bought a new EVO 3D (gingerbread 2.3.4) but it will never sleep, even after I went into recovery mode and wiped all data to go back to factory settings.

The up time is always equal to the awake time, and the awake time continues to acrue even when the phone has been "powered off" with the fastboot option checked (which I thought is supposed to suspend it)

The fact that the phone never sleeps is my only initial indication of a problem, but my problems intensify after installing about 40 of my favorite apps when the phone starts spontaneously rebooting several times a day, and eventually gets to a point where every app gives an error that it stopped unexpectedly (force close) including system processes like Google Services Framework (process com.google.android.apps.gapps)

My question is: why wouldn't an EVO 3D (reset to factory settings) go to sleep? Would that problem point to a software or a hardware problem? Do I need to exchange this phone?

Upvote 0
First of all, I don't know how my previous post got added to this thread, because I thought I created a new thread.

Anyways, in my case I haven't installed a single app after my factory reset, so if there is nevertheless a process running in the background keeping the phone awake, then that is a bug in Android, isn't it?

Upvote 0
First of all, I don't know how my previous post got added to this thread, because I thought I created a new thread.

Anyways, in my case I haven't installed a single app after my factory reset, so if there is nevertheless a process running in the background keeping the phone awake, then that is a bug in Android, isn't it?

I am sure your post got merged with this thread because a thread already existed with your same problem. I have had the 100% wake issue a few times on Android phones (Hero, Evo, Evo 3D) and in all three situations the reasons were different. If you go to Menu -> Settings-> About Phone-> Battery-> Battery Use then click on each listed thing that has used the battery and look for a Keep Awake entry. This may or may not help. Other things to try... Go into Accounts and Sync and uncheck HTC Sync and Watch as some have found this keeps their phone awake by constantly syncing.

Upvote 0
Thanks for your replay. First off, I couldnt find "HTC Sync" under "Accounts and Sync", only Stocks & Weather, and auto-sync is unchecked.

Under Battery use, it attributes 3% to "Android System"...clicking on that tells me:
Code:
CPU Total 41s
CPU Foreground 40s
Keep awake   1h 3m 24s
So what the heck is this "Keep awake" entry and what can I do to disable it?

Listed under included packages is: HTC Hub, BrcmBluetoothServices, Upgrade Setup, HTC Function Test Program, Tell HTC, Clock, Setup, Android system, Status Bar, Settings, HTC Hub Sync Provider, Settings Storage, VPN Services, HTC Checkin Service, Acounts & Sync, Google Backup Transport.

Upvote 0
If you didn't see HTC Sync under Accounts, that's good, it means you didn't sign up for an HTC account from the HTC Hub app.

You're not going to do a lot to minimize the 'Android System' service's awake time. Whenever anything on your phone wakes up, it also wakes the Android System.

You didn't, by any chance, check the checkbox that allows HTC to collect your data to 'help them resolve problems' did you? Did you enable the Tell HTC when setting up the phone? If so, your awake time is probably due to HTC spying on you.

Reactions: redss
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones