• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

What Spells a Successful Phone to You???

Before I start, just let me say, I think this is something pretty nice about this phone.

Has anyone else noticed that this forum may be slowing down in the interesting thread department. Maybe just me, but it would seem to indicate to me that this phone may have more atributes, or less faults than any phone I've ever owned.

Seems like, short of a battery issue here and there, people are pretty proud and satisfied with it. Honestly, with what this phone can do, I'm surprised it doesn't come with a spare battery just because. Kind of like a spare tire on a car.

Just interested in your view on the subject...

If you pay attention to what you're doing you don't need a spare battery. I used my hardcore all day yesterday from 7am to 2am and it got down to 15%. Android is made with more control because that's what people want, but with that control comes the ability to kill your battery in a few hours if you're not careful.

If I take my Evo to the mountains of new hampshire and use MyTracks to record my hiking path via GPS, I'll need to bring along at least 5 spare batteries to last a full day's hike.

So, it all depends on how you use your phone. And even if the battery dies every 2 hours, I won't think less of the phone because it's performing a damn hard task.

And the Evo, compared with any cell phone I or my friends have used, holds a GPS signal the best.

Unless you were one of the unlucky people who got the bad hardware batch (light leakage/screen separation, mushy power button, loose charge port, etc), there's not much to gripe about.

Upvote 0
If you pay attention to what you're doing you don't need a spare battery. I used my hardcore all day yesterday from 7am to 2am and it got down to 15%. Android is made with more control because that's what people want, but with that control comes the ability to kill your battery in a few hours if you're not careful.

I agree with you 100%. That's just the major complaint I've seen is the battery.

Personally, I get through the entire day with heavy use and no re-charging.

Upvote 0
If I take my Evo to the mountains of new hampshire and use MyTracks to record my hiking path via GPS, I'll need to bring along at least 5 spare batteries to last a full day's hike.

So, it all depends on how you use your phone. And even if the battery dies every 2 hours, I won't think less of the phone because it's performing a damn hard task.

And the Evo, compared with any cell phone I or my friends have used, holds a GPS signal the best.

Unless you were one of the unlucky people who got the bad hardware batch (light leakage/screen separation, mushy power button, loose charge port, etc), there's not much to gripe about.
You're absolutely right. I'd probably use a separate GPS for the hiking considering it's unrealistic for the Evo to last all day. Sounds like fun though!

Upvote 0

Take a screen shot of the battery stats screen, and expand the stat for display.

I don't think people that have "all" day usage are really using their phones all day. The stat for display is pretty telling as far as how much you are actually using during it's uptime. Plus your definition of hardcore may not be the same for the next person.

Mine get's down to 15% after about 3-4 hours of display time, depending on how much data I am using. If I am having a data intensive day, then it's down toward the 3 hour mark. If it's just games then it's toward the 4 hour mark.

Upvote 0

I completely agree with you, but i dont have problems with mytracks being a battery hog.. humm... I use MyTracks every morning (about 6am) for a two hour hike. Im also streaming Pandora the entire hike. I make it all day there after... till 10ish at night.

Upvote 0
Before I start, just let me say, I think this is something pretty nice about this phone.

Has anyone else noticed that this forum may be slowing down in the interesting thread department. Maybe just me, but it would seem to indicate to me that this phone may have more atributes, or less faults than any phone I've ever owned.

Seems like, short of a battery issue here and there, people are pretty proud and satisfied with it. Honestly, with what this phone can do, I'm surprised it doesn't come with a spare battery just because. Kind of like a spare tire on a car.

Just interested in your view on the subject...

I disagree about there actually being a battery issue. First, its a phone! Does it function as a phone? YES. Will it last 4 days as just a phone without having to charge the phone? Yes

The battery depends upon your daily usage of the phone. From what I'm seeing people can't put their phone down unless they are sleeping or working.

Why would they give you a spare battery with the phone? You buying an extra charger for your car or office is cheaper than having to purchase another battery. Hell, I only have the charger that came with the EVO. I purchased micro usb adapters for my mini usb car chargers.

I hate when people talk about the battery and they don't have a clue about how batteries function.

Upvote 0
Guys just remember..we have mini laptops with us at all times now aka "SMARTPHONES"..But everyone who have a laptop take it off the charger and see how long it last being connected to the internet the whole time and playing games and so on..So technically the Evo and all of Smartphones are doing quite well if you think about it, because they can do exactly what a computer can do..Just wanted to put in my .02, because I believe people forget it's a mini computer now..and battery life isn't gonna do anything, but get worse..hopefully bigger 'smaller' batteries hit the streets so we can have better and longer battery life, but knowing some people can never be satified will complain about that also.."ahhhh this stupid phone can't last a whole day because i've been constantly streaming movies and music off my phone wth"..lol ok i'm done rambling on..don't hurt me lol..ttyl guys.

-MaLL0>

Upvote 0
I completely agree with you, but i dont have problems with mytracks being a battery hog.. humm... I use MyTracks every morning (about 6am) for a two hour hike. Im also streaming Pandora the entire hike. I make it all day there after... till 10ish at night.

But novox77 is taking it to the mountains where the signal may be weak. The weaker the signal, the more drain on the battery.

Upvote 0
But novox77 is taking it to the mountains where the signal may be weak. The weaker the signal, the more drain on the battery.

heh, actually, I would have shut off all radios but the GPS, so there's no loss to seeking... I'm actually surprised to hear that someone can use MyTracks WITHOUT a big battery drain. Active GPS use on my phone really sucks the battery dry fast.

Upvote 0
heh, actually, I would have shut off all radios but the GPS, so there's no loss to seeking... I'm actually surprised to hear that someone can use MyTracks WITHOUT a big battery drain. Active GPS use on my phone really sucks the battery dry fast.

I don't think MyTracks stores any maps on the phone so without internet access there wouldn't be any maps. But, whether or not the route would be saved without a working map and then be superimposed on the map when it becomes available... I have no idea.

Upvote 0
I don't think MyTracks stores any maps on the phone so without internet access there wouldn't be any maps. But, whether or not the route would be saved without a working map and then be superimposed on the map when it becomes available... I have no idea.

Basically MyTracks just records GPS location data every x seconds. And that data can be reconstructed on top of a map whenever you want.

Reactions: AlkiDweller
Upvote 0
Guys just remember..we have mini laptops with us at all times now aka "SMARTPHONES"..But everyone who have a laptop take it off the charger and see how long it last being connected to the internet the whole time and playing games and so on..So technically the Evo and all of Smartphones are doing quite well if you think about it, because they can do exactly what a computer can do..Just wanted to put in my .02, because I believe people forget it's a mini computer now..and battery life isn't gonna do anything, but get worse..hopefully bigger 'smaller' batteries hit the streets so we can have better and longer battery life, but knowing some people can never be satified will complain about that also.."ahhhh this stupid phone can't last a whole day because i've been constantly streaming movies and music off my phone wth"..lol ok i'm done rambling on..don't hurt me lol..ttyl guys.

-MaLL0>

TOTALLY agree. I had that realization not long ago when my power went out and I was relying on my laptop's battery. Drains lots faster than my Evo while doing the same thing. I can't make any calls from my laptop and I cant take it in the car and have it tell me how to get somewhere :p I do have spare batteries for my Evo "just in case", but the same cant be said for my laptop!

Actually I don't even use my laptop nearly as much anymore.

Whoever it says they don't believe others when they state they can use their phones for 12+ hours... I don' think anyone assumes that is STRAIGHT hours of usage. But I can easily use my phone for whatever I want to do, any time I want to use it, and I have no problems making it 12+ hours. The only exception to that would be a long phone call or an extended use of GPS.

Upvote 0
I disagree about there actually being a battery issue. First, its a phone! Does it function as a phone? YES. Will it last 4 days as just a phone without having to charge the phone? Yes

The battery depends upon your daily usage of the phone. From what I'm seeing people can't put their phone down unless they are sleeping or working.

Why would they give you a spare battery with the phone? You buying an extra charger for your car or office is cheaper than having to purchase another battery. Hell, I only have the charger that came with the EVO. I purchased micro usb adapters for my mini usb car chargers.

I hate when people talk about the battery and they don't have a clue about how batteries function.

Ya know, your take on what I said is interesting...at best!
I wasn't whining about the battery, more marveling at what this phone can do and mentioning that with all it does, it makes sense that their would be some battery drain. It amazes me that the battery lasts as long as it does!

Hate me if you want, but I believe I do have a clue and, like it or not, one of the major complaints about our phone is the battery. Not me. Mentioned it because I knew someone would say they love it except for battery life. If you read these forums, you should know that too.

Anyway...I use my phone for work and home, extensively. Right now I'm sitting at 32% at 8 pm after last charge ending at 6 am.
I charge it all night, wake to get ready for work, unplug, wait 5 minutes, then plug in til ready to leave. Stays high on charge much longer this way.

Also worth mentioning, I am connected to WiFi when possible at work and at night at home. No task killers.

Reactions: aburgthing
Upvote 0

-MaLL0>

Well put and nuff said!

Upvote 0
Although I'm already on my 4th EVO replacement, it still is by far the best phone I've had (and I used to be a diehard slide-out qwerty phone guy). It may not be saying much, coming from a former Windows Mobile owner, but I've used many of my friends' iPhones and after really getting to know the Android OS and being able to give a fair comparison, I don't think I'd ever get an iPhone even if it became available on Sprint.

What makes a phone successful? If it delivers on all my needs/uses for a phone and/or exceeds those needs. The EVO has done that for me. I barely browse the internet on my laptop because of this phone.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones