• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

What was your previous phone/OS?

What was your previous phone/OS?

• Android OS 1.6 or higher

Votes: 3 2.0%
  • Android OS 1.5 or lower

Votes: 2 1.4%
  • iPhone 2G or 3G

Votes: 39 26.4%
  • iPhone 3GS

Votes: 12 8.1%
  • iPhone 4

Votes: 9 6.1%
  • Blackberry less than 1 year old

Votes: 11 7.4%
  • Blackberry more than 1 year old

Votes: 24 16.2%
  • Windows Mobile 6 or higher

Votes: 19 12.8%
  • Windows Mobile 5 or lower

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other (please indicate in post)

Votes: 29 19.6%

• Total voters
If they could install Android on the Nokia 5800, it would be an awesome phone. I had it for a while and really enjoyed it (the gps on it worked great and youtube videos looked and sounded top notch).

I sold it to get the Captivate.

I still have mine in a drawer with a TMobile SIM in it.

I have 10 days to return the Captivate. I'm very much on the fence. The Captivate is gorgeous, and was free to me. But, 2 years with AT&T, spotty software support and some of the limitations of the Samsung Galaxy S series give me pause before committing.

If I could have a phone with the sound and portability of the 5800 (plus camera flash and physical shutter button), the features of the Evo 4G and the form factor and screen of the Captivate, running Android 2.2 and above, I think that would make me happy.

Upvote 0
I still have mine in a drawer with a TMobile SIM in it.

I have 10 days to return the Captivate. I'm very much on the fence. The Captivate is gorgeous, and was free to me. But, 2 years with AT&T, spotty software support and some of the limitations of the Samsung Galaxy S series give me pause before committing.

If I could have a phone with the sound and portability of the 5800 (plus camera flash and physical shutter button), the features of the Evo 4G and the form factor and screen of the Captivate, running Android 2.2 and above, I think that would make me happy.

The size of the 5800 was just perfect, and it was feature packed. I loved the flash, the video editing and the front camera. The Captivate lacks all that! (Also GPS worked great on 5800).

But the deciding factor for me was the software. Symbian is way, way behind Android.

Upvote 0
The size of the 5800 was just perfect, and it was feature packed. I loved the flash, the video editing and the front camera. The Captivate lacks all that! (Also GPS worked great on 5800).

But the deciding factor for me was the software. Symbian is way, way behind Android.

Are you kidding me, The reason i'm leaving Nokis is because of their dated hardware, in my opinion good speakers on a phone should not sell the phone, as a protable MP3 players i use head phone 99% of the time.

I have Nokia N81, N82, N85, XM5800 and then the X6 for the last 4-5 years and can vow from experience that the reason their OS lagged behind because of their limited HW.
Don't get me wrong, there were only a couple of thing i enjoyed during my Nokia experience. First was when i hacked it and install GarminXT. Ovi map blow, at least i can vow for the US side, it's very inaccurate in Florida.
Secondly, the N82 camera with xenon flash took the some of the best pictures. Other than that, most their latest phones are primitive compare to the Android or Iphone. To me Nokia is all about hype than putting the best phone out.

Personally, I think XM500 is too thick and the resistive touch screen and the camera are junks. I had it on At&t 3G for a year and upgraded to X6 because of that.
What open my eye was when i played an Android Mile Stone, you tube open in seconds and touch screen blew my X6 away. It make my phone fell like an (old)brick.

In conclusion, to loyal consumer like me, I felt that Nokia cut corner to save money and try to sell their brand name not the quality product. OS is way far behind due to the weak processor and supported RAM in the phone. They cover it up by adding bell(Carl Zeiss optics) and whistles( OVI map) but in the end, weak OS/HW are magnify and failed to deliver a good experience compare to their competitors.

Upvote 0
Are you kidding me, The reason i'm leaving Nokis is because of their dated hardware, in my opinion good speakers on a phone should not sell the phone, as a protable MP3 players i use head phone 99% of the time.

Then why would you want a multimedia smartphone like the galaxy S???

ohbaby714 said:
...They cover it up by adding bell(Carl Zeiss optics) and whistles( OVI map) but in the end, weak OS/HW are magnify and failed to deliver a good experience compare to their competitors.

That's funny, I feel exactly the same way about the Captivate. great potential, terrible execution. And no bells or whistles can make me want to keep a contract with a poor service provider on a poorly performing device.

I'll probably end up going back to the Nokia 5800 and continue to use my jailbroken iPod touch. Between the two of them, I have a great phone and a great media device. Pity the Captivate is neither.

Upvote 0
Well thankfully I don't even think about the camera that comes with a phone, it'll be interesting to play with it, but I'll use my camera if I want to take pictures for the most part. As I've said in another thread, I've never been a huge fan of one device that does everything, because it usually doesn't do everything well. The integration of a PDA and a phone makes sense, everything else is just fun to play with, at least for me.

Upvote 0
Two year old Java (ME?) phone k660 SE
n3qe04.jpg

In black and Silver

Upvote 0
FIRST
nokia-1600-2.jpg

SECOND (i think the reason i bought it was because of the lost logo haha :) amazing phone though... works perfectly today and i use it as a back up phone... now four years old)

cingular-motorola-v3xx.jpg

and last (and probably least) is my samsung eternity.... first touchscreen phone i had... now find it annoying and would rather use my razr. it was a fun device though to have and i did a lot of basic "hacks" to it...

samsung-eternity-hits-att.jpg

Upvote 0
I completely spaced palm and Symbia OS. 20% of votes in the "other" category is unacceptable. My bad. But I find it incredibly interesting where ya'll have come from and been. It makes me smile to see that the majority albeit not a large one, 38% as of right now, are apple defectors. =-D

Also interesting to see how many have NOT come from a previous Android device, personally I was expecting more.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones