• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

What's a worthy replacement?

just had a look at the image quality on the xperiaS and it looks phenomenal.
its using the same BSI CCD sensor that the huawaiwa accend quad D is using.
the quad D has faster graphical and cpu performance than any of the opposition by quite a bit.
it also comes with 8gig onboard with a microsd card slot.
i thank dan for pointing this device out to me, im watching with great interest but seems to be a winner.

Upvote 0
the quad D has faster graphical and cpu performance than any of the opposition by quite a bit.
i thank dan for pointing this device out to me, im watching with great interest but seems to be a winner.

I'm really liking the specs, and features of the ascend. I know the battery is a meaty bugger in the xl, but us it removable? Not heard anything on that yet.

Upvote 0

A few example pictures for you if interested.

Here is a link to my Photobucket Album

One or two of these are just point and shoot, some from standby, i wish i made note of which were which.

Upvote 0
A few example pictures for you if interested.

Here is a link to my Photobucket Album

One or two of these are just point and shoot, some from standby, i wish i made note of which were which.

Some of those pictures were very nice. I like the last pic of the close up of the cat's eyes - it seems like the camera focused on the cat's pupil.

Also, I was impressed by the macro ability of the camera in the pic of the beetle. That's very close focus! And the shallow depth of field is very striking in its separation from the background.

And the stones show nice detail in their texture. I guess you had great lighting conditions however, so a little difficult to tell the pic quality in more adverse conditions - low light, for instance.

I did notice some glare in pic 18 (the fountain thing) but that is to be expected because you were shooting almost directly into the sun without the aid of a lens hood (shading the lens with your hand would have done the trick there) as our phones don't come with those ;-)

Over all though, the quality seems nice. You should be very pleased.

Reactions: Tyseyh
Upvote 0
Some of those pictures were very nice. I like the last pic of the close up of the cat's eyes - it seems like the camera focused on the cat's pupil.

Also, I was impressed by the macro ability of the camera in the pic of the beetle. That's very close focus! And the shallow depth of field is very striking in its separation from the background.

And the stones show nice detail in their texture. I guess you had great lighting conditions however, so a little difficult to tell the pic quality in more adverse conditions - low light, for instance.

I did notice some glare in pic 18 (the fountain thing) but that is to be expected because you were shooting almost directly into the sun without the aid of a lens hood (shading the lens with your hand would have done the trick there) as our phones don't come with those ;-)

Over all though, the quality seems nice. You should be very pleased.

With the fountain, I was higher then it with the sun blaring at me, I will try the shading the lense though that sounds interesting.

The macro ability is amazing on this phone which is great for me since I do enjoy macros.
I have taken a few in low light conditions too but I messed with the settings so I don't know what's what.

I took a video of my cat and after a bit the auto focus seemed to struggle a little. Especially going from shaded areas to light.
Another thing about the video, on the phone it looks fine... Unlike on the TV where it looks somewhat grainy.

Upvote 0
Another thing about the video, on the phone it looks fine... Unlike on the TV where it looks somewhat grainy.

Sometimes you have to play around with colour profiles on TVs to get inputs to look nice. Are you using HDMI? (just checked the experia s specs: of course you are ;-) Did the TV autoadjust to the correct resolution for the input? If there is a mismatch between the output resolution and the TV resolution setting, it can look poor quality because of resizing.

Upvote 0
If it's real, it looks like the phone will be quite beautiful. But...

Looks like a uni-body. No removable battery for S3 then :-(
HTC have made unibody phones with removable batteries (Legend).

However, cool as it looks I have my doubts. Heck of a departure for Sammy if it's real (though they are overdue a style change).

Upvote 0
Sometimes you have to play around with colour profiles on TVs to get inputs to look nice. Are you using HDMI? (just checked the experia s specs: of course you are ;-) Did the TV autoadjust to the correct resolution for the input? If there is a mismatch between the output resolution and the TV resolution setting, it can look poor quality because of resizing.

As far as I'm aware, it automatically adjusts.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones