• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

When will Android 3.0 get released?

My droid2 came with 2.2 but then it asked me to update 1 week after I got it. Weird, really weird.
I've been waiting to see this thread, I remember seeing people say that once they got flash with froyo that they'd be happy. It'll come when it comes. But mark my words, once Gingerbread drops, it won't be long until someone posts up asking about the next update.

Upvote 0
I've been waiting to see this thread, I remember seeing people say that once they got flash with froyo that they'd be happy. It'll come when it comes. But mark my words, once Gingerbread drops, it won't be long until someone posts up asking about the next update.

Of course. That is human nature! The thing is, at this point, I am far more looking forward to honeycomb than gingerbread. Gingerbread isn't delivering anything I can't live without right now. Honeycomb on the other hand, of course I COULD live without, but I wouldn't want to!

Upvote 0
Honeycomb think it will be awesome... Improved UI... I think all google needs to do is force all apps to be decoupled from the main Operating system, and that includes the GUI. I hope Google builds an API extension on top of the GUI which allows OEM to customize the UI. This means that whenever there is a new version of the operating system, the UI will just fit seamlessly ontop without any issue. This would reduce fragmentation!

Upvote 0
Man, really excited about honeycomb, the UI is awesome!
I think we should just skip gingerbread and go straight to honeycomb.
I guess we have to wait a few months before it will be ported to the phones.. maybe 3.1 will be good for phones. But looking at the demos at CES I am really excited. Brilliant.

Upvote 0
Upvote 0
this is one of the things that lets android down a bit, some people on older versions of the OS, so some of the users cant download certain apps from the market and still on buggy OS
just wish they could roll out the updates at the same time, i know that the carrier has to add all there 'crap' onto it but we can all live in hope!
come on android, if you wanna knock that smug 'apple' off steve jobs desk, then sort your update process out

Upvote 0
3.0 is so that Android can get around the higher resolution problem found in froyo and now the new gingerbread. It meant that we can have higher resolution which is needed for tablets and also doesn't have the problem of running apps design on smaller screen size (i am guessing the last point but I am sure there is something cool in honeycomb to solve this issue).

Honeycomb is optimised for tablets as android cannot run tablets properly at the moment, however honeycomb can also run on Mobiles. I guess we wait till feb till we seen some demos. CES only showed a wee bit of what honeycomb can offer. Can't wait.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones