• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Where can i get more info on Kings Kernals?

rsarno

Thank Me, Im Irish!
Jun 6, 2010
I see this link:
KingxKlick Forums • View topic - [KERNEL] [2.6.32.15] [HAVS] [BFS] KiNgxKernel #3/#5

and it includes the changelog. But if #5 is upgraded from #4, why even offer it?

And i see people post they are using lower numbers than #5 .. leading me to believe i am missing something.

Is there a comparison thread somewhere?

advantages/disadvantages, pro's/con's

Im on the custom kernal from virtuous, but running uncommon sense

just wanna improve my battery :(

Upvote 0
I think just because they are comfortable with it, it works with their rom, and don't want to play around as we do. Why do some like a '67 Mustang? I mean, why not get the 2010 model? Just preferences, I think.

Your analogy would imply there are substantial differences between the 2 kernal versions lol. Thats what im trying to find out.

Or is there a thread detailing which of the 5 kernals works best with which ROM's?

There has to be more to it than just picking one randomly and hoping it works lol

Upvote 0
yeah with kernels for me its more of just trial and error. since everyones phone and setup responds a bit differently, what works well for one doesnt work well for another.

i basically just load a rom nandroid it and then test each kernel compatible with it til i get the best performance or battery life whatever im looking for.

Upvote 0
keep in mind that in many cases the differences are incremental. these kernels also roll out so quickly that some people just don't have the time to play around with them and/or they aren't presented with a good enough reason to change. many of us find something that works and apply the old adage "if it ain't broke, don't fix it".

for example i've been using the virtuous kernel on stock 2.2 and unless i see something mind blowing, i'm good it. however i did try bfs #4 and it didn't work that well on my phone. the phone would slow down to a crawl after a day or two. so i switched and have been good since.

to be honest, i don't think any of the kernels will provide a significant difference in battery usage. the biggest impact will be from how the phone is used and how it's configured. alert tones, background images, social networking apps, browsing, gaming, volume level, 3g or wifi, multitasking, background apps, etc....there's just so many variables that are different from one user/phone to the next.

the biggest thing you can probably do to impact battery life...get a bigger battery. :) personally, i just use my phone the way i want and manage trying to keep it charged up.

Upvote 0
I probably won't switch again, but when I do switch I'm basically looking for any issues that weren't there before. Stuff like force closes, lag, freezing up and how the phone acts after a few days without having restarted it. If all is good I stick with it for a while or until something more enticing comes along. I would apply the same idea to roms, although I've decided to stick with the stock rom...at least until there's one with the newer version of sense. Hth

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones