• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Where's the news

I read the stuff here all the time!!! Bring it back please! I use the Phandroid App but I get a really crappy signal at work so when I see something come through on the App, I would come to this site and read it. Not to mention, I appear to be screwing around less at work inconspicuously looking at a browser window on my PC as opposed to obviously staring at my phone screen :)

Please put the bot back for my sanity!

Upvote 0
I read the stuff here all the time!!! Bring it back please! I use the Phandroid App but I get a really crappy signal at work so when I see something come through on the App, I would come to this site and read it. Not to mention, I appear to be screwing around less at work inconspicuously looking at a browser window on my PC as opposed to obviously staring at my phone screen :)

Please put the bot back for my sanity!

FYI - the bot was just posting articles from our main site (top left corner of screen=androidforums presented by phandroid) Android Phone

Also accessible by clicking the 'Home' button right below the AndroidForums logo top left of screen.

When in phandroid at anytime you can just click where it says forums middle of screen to get back here.

Upvote 0
FYI - the bot was just posting articles from our main site (top left corner of screen=androidforums presented by phandroid) Android Phone

Also accessible by clicking the 'Home' button right below the AndroidForums logo top left of screen.

When in phandroid at anytime you can just click where it says forums middle of screen to get back here.

okay, so is this the final word regarding this? i can go ahead and remove 'Android News & Talk' from my favorite forums list? BTW, what is expected in this forum now? it's still there with title of "Get the scoop on the most recent Android happenings... and what might be happening!".

Upvote 0
We did in fact remove this section a few weeks ago. From what we noticed, it was rarely used and was causing duplicate content penalties in the search engines. It's not a final decision- especially after hearing some feedback that a bunch of people actually LIKED it.

To those of you who have already chimed in, is there any reason you visit the news/talk forum instead of the Phandroid home page within the site nav? Was it just because the news was diplayed in a forum-like template? Did you not know Phandroid was connected?

As for removing or repurposing the news section, I'm not exactly sure what to do. We COULD just link the section to Phandroid's homepage but I'm not sure how much sense that makes. We could also just delete it. Also willing to hear other ideas/opinions.

Reactions: NightAngel79
Upvote 0
To those of you who have already chimed in, is there any reason you visit the news/talk forum instead of the Phandroid home page within the site nav? Was it just because the news was diplayed in a forum-like template? Did you not know Phandroid was connected?

Simply because it was in the same place as the forums. I found the forums first, then found out about phandroid via the forums.

As I've mentioned in my previous post, I didn't use it a lot (before I was a Guide, I maybe spent 20% of my forum time in that section) but it was handy to have a news section in the same place as the forums.

It's not a major issue to me, as I get most of what I want via the app, but it was nice to have the option. If it causes problems, I personally wouldn't have a problem living without it.

Upvote 0
A bit off the main topic here, but Phases, is there any way to disable normal users from creating threads in that forum? I'd say 90% of the non-bot threads are questions (not news) or spam. Can we just make it a strictly bot-created thread but OK for users to post in those threads? (Assuming we are keeping this)

I totally agree with that right there. It really was convenient to scan over the news quickly in the forum. +1 for bringing it back as a bot only forum with comments allowed in posts.

Upvote 0
We did in fact remove this section a few weeks ago. From what we noticed, it was rarely used and was causing duplicate content penalties in the search engines. It's not a final decision- especially after hearing some feedback that a bunch of people actually LIKED it.

As for removing or repurposing the news section, I'm not exactly sure what to do. We COULD just link the section to Phandroid's homepage but I'm not sure how much sense that makes. We could also just delete it. Also willing to hear other ideas/opinions.

For me it was because the news was displayed in the forum and its easier for me to navigate and bounce to a different section of the forum (via my favorite forums) and browse through the titles to find one I wanted to read. Another reason is that when you used the forum search feature, the threads posted by the bot would come up in the results allowing you to find some newer information that you might be searching the forum for.

I mean I'll be ok if I have to do it the way it is currently, but it was nice when the bot posted the threads.

Upvote 0
I totally agree with that right there. It really was convenient to scan over the news quickly in the forum. +1 for bringing it back as a bot only forum with comments allowed in posts.
Yup exactly. Someone that doesn't use Phandroid, can easily scan through that forum without having to worry about "excess threads" filling up that have nothing to do with Android News.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones