• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Which ROM for a non-techie wife

ks-man

Mar 13, 2011
My wife uses an Evo Shift and has essentially hated it from day one. We are still locked under contract for another 8 months or she would move to an iPhone (what I use). A major frustration of hers was battery life so I recently purchased some 1700mAh replacement batteries. These batteries have been performing well but in my investigation I learned that I should wipe the battery stats. Obviously to do that I need to root so the last few days I've been reading about rooting and the benefits.

As I've been reading about rooting I realize that I should probably install a new ROM to hopefully solve some of the other things she hates with her Shift (or Android). The biggest issue is that she still experiences the Sense home screen crash but she complains about everything from dropped calls, bluetooth not connecting, app crashes, slow performance and more. I don't know how much of her issues are Sprint vs. Evo Shift vs. software but at this point I figure trying something new couldn't hurt.

I don't want to lose some of the visual eye candy of Android and I do think she likes the interface of HTC Sense if only it would work properly. So rather than installing something like CyanogenMod which I believe is for power users and sacrifices some eye candy, what HTC Sense ROM would you recommend for a wife who is fed up with Android and just wants her phone to work in a reasonable fashion?

Thanks.

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones