1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

General Who here is having GREAT signal strength and call quality?

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by dt_, May 7, 2010.

1. whiskeyguy

whiskeyguy Android Enthusiast
    None

Apr 1, 2010
    Went hiking today in a pretty mountainous area around my house. No bars a few times (always had a 3G signal) but calls went through and sounded fine. I wasn't even going to turn the phone on, but I wanted to see how it worked with a very weak signal.

A+

Advertisement

2. DonDraper

DonDraper Well-Known Member
    None

Apr 5, 2010
    Windows System Admin
    South
    My signal is pretty much the same as it's been since I've been on Alltel/Verizon for the last few years. Today in one part of town I had full bars which is quite rare. I typically have two and haven't dropped a call yet.

3. radworm

radworm Well-Known Member
    None

Mar 23, 2010
    Indiana
    I've had mine since 4/28. Call quality has been excellent! I'm coming from a Treo 750, and the call quality and reception is way better with the DI. I could not get any signal with the Treo in the basement, and I make crystal clear calls in the basement with my DI. Like others have said, the signal bars just are not very accurate. You can have great reception and crystal clear phone calls with 0-1 bars. I routinely make phone calls with the signal in the -100+ dbm range. I haven't had any drop calls with this phone.

The only negative thing about this phone is that the battery could be better. If I don't use the phone much, I do not have any problem making it through the day. But any moderate amount of web surfing, texting, or phone calls makes me have to use the usb to charge the phone.

4. leoskullz

leoskullz Newbie
    None

May 8, 2010
    Los Angeles
    I switched to my Incredible from a BB curve on Tmobile. I can't really compare from Verizon phone to Verizon phone but the fact that I'm able to get any kind of reception at my house is nothing short of a miracle, and my call quality is always clear. Reception is going to depend on where you live but I have no complaints so far as the hardware is concerned.

5. cb85215

cb85215 Newbie
    None

Apr 9, 2010
    Had it since the 28th.

Signal strength is excellent.

Call quality is "OK" - not great. Various BB's had better quality.

Battery lasts me the entire day (~16 hours)....amount left at end of day varies dramatically on activity. Web surfing drains it fast (as expected).

6. photographx

photographx Well-Known Member
    None

Apr 30, 2010
    Who here is having GREAT signal strength and call quality?

Liars, fanbois, and a lucky few? Not me.

7. NovaCove

NovaCove Newbie
    None

Mar 21, 2010
    Trucking
    USA
    have 3 incredibles and all 3 have the same signal problem(1 bar most of the time, -95 to -104), but every call is crystal clear and no issues at all on call quiality or dropped calls.. i did call verizon tech support and they have an open ticket to check the local towers in my area for any problems(used to be alltel)

8. Dex

Dex Android Enthusiast
    None

Jan 11, 2010
    Mobile Tech Support
    Tennessee
    My call quality is great. The earpiece can seem a little tinny if I've got it up too high, but it sounds very good. I've almost always got good reception, a good number or bars and haven't yet missed a call, had a call dropped or had any kind of issues. Knock on wood. My battery life blows, though. My phone is either idle or in my hand doing something. I text, I browse the web, I check Facebook stuff if I'm bored and away from home, I play games, I really am not kind to the battery, so I understand why it is so poor for me.

If you are trying to decide between Droid and Incredible, stop. The Incredible is far and away the better phone. This isn't opinion, it's fact. I waited for this phone, I followed it, I drooled over it. I have it and it obviously can't live up to all of my expectations, but compared to my girlfriend's Droid... it is WAY better. It's small, light, sleek and it's fast.

9. rushmore

rushmore Extreme Android User
    None

Nov 13, 2008
    Kentucky
    If you live in an area with good to great coverage- of course reception will be good. People having the issues are in the more fringe coverage areas compared to other phones (Droid mainly). Inc has an average radio and not a defective one.

Stay way from the bars though, since sometimes they will show low or high bars and have dBm levels that contradict. I have seen 2 bars in -64db and 4 bars in -89dB. The bars are on another reality plain and not a sane one.

10. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Member
    None

I've been very happy with call quality and signal strength.

11. gijoe411

gijoe411 Member
    None

Apr 15, 2010
    So why even bother Verizon if you have no problem then.

Don't pay attention to the bars. Every call i have made since the 27th has been flawless. And the speaker is loud!

12. mzlou2

mzlou2 Newbie
    None

Apr 22, 2010
    +1, but I use pandora alllll day at work, and leave the mobile data on, so I don't really expect the battery to last much past 5.

No problem at all with call quality.

13. LiQUiDBuD

LiQUiDBuD Member
    None

Apr 12, 2010
    I've actually had better reception at home than I had with my Samsung Rogue. For the first time in a long time I could actually sit on the couch and talk, rather than standing by the glass door or being on the porch.

Thank you Incredible!

14. CyberDroid

CyberDroid Member
    None

Jan 2, 2010
    Echoing everyone else here .... works fantastic!

15. vasilator

vasilator Well-Known Member
    None

May 7, 2010
    I was just thinking that. I don't have mine yet but the Moto Droid I do have is definitely nothing to write home about.

16. incrediblethrust

None

May 5, 2010
    today i just figured out how to maintain call clarity...

got a phone call with dirty hands so i just grabbed the phone edges with the tip of my fingers. The call was surprisingly clear. So in mid conversation i inadvertently grabbed the phone like i normally do with my whole hand and instantly the call became choppy. I went back to grabbing just the edges and instantly the call became clear again. From what i saw in the owners booklet the antenna is located at the bottom of the phone near the mic. If you "palm" the phone you cover up the antenna.

i tried making two other calls and to my amaze each time i held the edges of the phone the call was nice and clear...

I guess they need to amp up the gain on the antenna or relocate it to the top of the phone to help it out...

17. bovineyard

bovineyard Newbie
    None

Apr 23, 2010
    My Incredible has overall good call quality, even with no bars; but sometimes with 2-3 bars, call drops off. Antenna must definitely be on the bottom, my signal goes down 10-20 dbm (lower numbers better!) when I am holding it upside down! Good thing I usually use a headset.

I just switched over from a HTC mogul 6800. The 6800 was released exactly two years ago. The incredible makes that phone seem like its from the stone age.....
    technology is advancing fast.

18. cmantelope

cmantelope Member
    None

Nov 11, 2009
    Had Verizon in this town since 1996 - previous phone LG Chocolate

With the INC - easliy the best call "quality" that I have experienced to date. - calls are clear, well rounded.. full sounding, speaker volume is outstanding - no dropouts walking around the house, like my Chocolate

This is my first 3g experience, but it has never falied me - and is quite fast

Battery....well, I am lucky enough to be able to charge whenever I want...never had a smartphone, so not sure what normal battery is

No regrets here - would do it again, even if I had to pay more

rabernet likes this.
  19. bowl443

bowl443 Newbie
    None

Apr 8, 2010
    sys admin
    tx
    Honestly never pay attention to signal strength or how many bars I have.

All I know is I haven't had a dropped call, and people are happy I got rid of my Storm because they can hear me now. Call quality is ten times better than it was on the Storm.

20. Le0_Br4zUc4

Le0_Br4zUc4 Android Enthusiast
    None

Reception I do not have any problem, however I notice that I had better reception on my moto droid, I drove from chicago to miami in the last few days and never had a reception problem.

Call quality on the incredible is better then on moto droid and nexus, I tried all of them and so far the incredible has the best call quality of any other android device I've used.

21. Chandria

Chandria Well-Known Member
    None

May 3, 2010
    Florida
    Great signal strength and call quality, even International Skype calls are clear!

22. redtruck

redtruck Lurker
    None

Apr 2, 2010
    Works great. Good reception, call sound quality, and battery life. I can make it all day on a charge with no problem including internet usage.

23. jtstretch

jtstretch Newbie
    None

May 4, 2010
    mine fluxs alot too but no problems with calls or surfing. it does flux from 3G to 1x often too which i hate but may just be the way it is!

24. DirtDiver

DirtDiver Newbie
    None

Apr 14, 2010
    Arizona
    I live in a very rual mining town 70 miles away from anything! My company cell is a blackberry tour 9630 and my droid incredible surpasses the signal level of my tour by usually 15-20dbm in all locations, this includes my wife's phone as well. Supurb Call quality and signal strength!!

Stock battery life is poor right now cause I cannot quit playing with it! On days that I dont it easily lasts all day! :)

25. velotech

velotech Newbie
    None

Apr 20, 2010
    Call quality and connectivity is great here! Love this phone.