• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Who's Getting The Nexus 4?

Who gives a crap about lte. LTE is such overrated technology! Its far more ahead of its time.. N4 users reporting up to 20Mbps on tmobile network.. Average is about 7-8Mbps how much faster do you need.

This whole thing about lack of lte on the phone just tells how spoiled the majority of consumers really are.

Except Verizon is America's largest and most comprehensive network and people who would be interested in the Nexus 4 who wants to be in Verizon's network cannot get LTE nor HSPA+.

T-Mobile coverage in the US isn't nearly as good as Verizon's. The radios aren't even compatible for voice either.

Upvote 0
Because buying a new supposedly "flagship" device without supporting the largest carrier in the US and not having the latest technology (LTE) is settling for something that isn't the best.

No T-Mobile or AT&T phones support the "largest carrier" in the US. Are the people that buy those all settling? :rolleyes:

To the OP, 4.2 has made my GNex so much better in terms of battery life. I'd be hard pressed to upgrade, but I haven't ruled it out. A friend should have his N4 next week, so I'm quite interested to see it, as well as see the speeds it can get vs mine.

Upvote 0
Except Verizon is America's largest and most comprehensive network and people who would be interested in the Nexus 4 who wants to be in Verizon's network cannot get LTE nor HSPA+.

T-Mobile coverage in the US isn't nearly as good as Verizon's. The radios aren't even compatible for voice either.

Yes, Verizon has America's largest network. However, the issue isn't that the Nexus 4 isn't available for Verizon, it is that Verizon refuses to allow a Google "controlled" phone on their network. From what I've seen, I doubt Verizon will get another Nexus device.

It is one of the tradeoffs with any carrier, that you are limited to the phones they allow on their network; though I will admit that an advantage to GSM phones is that most carriers allow you to bring your own phone.

Upvote 0
Who gives a crap about lte. LTE is such overrated technology! Its far more ahead of its time.. N4 users reporting up to 20Mbps on tmobile network.. Average is about 7-8Mbps how much faster do you need.

This whole thing about lack of lte on the phone just tells how spoiled the majority of consumers really are.

LTE is really only a dealbreaker on CDMA (Sprint/Verizon) devices, because let's face it, EVDO (3G) sucks. I remember when 500 Kb/s was acceptable....ten years ago, when I still had a Pentium III, and Youtube didn't even exist yet. Its just an awfully slow, and awfully dated technology. Even a "slow" LTE connection will run circles around EVDO, which is why LTE is such a huge deal for us.

However, GSM phones have been getting along nicely with their 3G tech, with HSPDA, which is leagues more advanced that EVDO.

Upvote 0
Yes, Verizon has America's largest network. However, the issue isn't that the Nexus 4 isn't available for Verizon, it is that Verizon refuses to allow a Google "controlled" phone on their network. From what I've seen, I doubt Verizon will get another Nexus device.

It is one of the tradeoffs with any carrier, that you are limited to the phones they allow on their network; though I will admit that an advantage to GSM phones is that most carriers allow you to bring your own phone.

I think that we could, but only if the FCC enforces the Block C regulations that apply to Verizon's 700mhz lte spectrum. Once VoLTE goes live and becomes more common, we'll start seeing pentaband VoLTE phones where all you need is the sim card and what not for your carrier. Under the Block C regulations, Verizon cannot deny access to their LTE network that is able to use it.

Granted this is probably at least one if not two years down the road, so it might be a moot point by then. A lot can happen in two years.

Upvote 0
No T-Mobile or AT&T phones support the "largest carrier" in the US. Are the people that buy those all settling? :rolleyes:
I'm honestly having a hard time figuring out what you claim.

T-Mobile and AT&T both use GSM with HSPA+ technology, with AT&T even more recently upgrading to LTE. But GSM & HSPA+ is not a carrier, it's a technology. And AT&T and T-Mobile's implementations are different, although the Nexus 4 supports both.

But if you're going down that path of combining them, then combine both Sprint and Verizon. Together, Verizon/Sprint dwarfs AT&T/T-Mobile.

In my context though, it was referring to those who have LTE phones on Verizon who would now need to downgrade to HSPA+ on either T-Mobile or AT&T. T-Mobile is spotty and AT&T just got the worst consumer ratings for the third year in a row.

That is unacceptable in my opinion, and I do consider that "settling" for something that could have been better.

But......if you're already on AT&T or T-Mobile and happy with the service, then this could be a great phone for you. As of now, as a happy Verizon customer, I see no need to lose my very reliable service for an unknown at lower speeds. I've peaked on LTE close to 60Mbps. I'll wait until next year.

Upvote 0
I don't buy that. At least not the full story, I can guarantee you. I know that's the perception that's been created by a few CEO comments and snip-its, but there's more to it. Has to be.

Verizon already allows phones on their network they don't control the OS updates. The iPhones.

And they'll be releasing Win Phone 8 models that get the OS updates strait from MS.

So why is it that MS and Apple can get phones on Verizon's network that aren't affected by carrier control, and yet Google can't?

Something smells fishy.

Upvote 0
I'm honestly having a hard time figuring out what you claim.

You said because the phone doesn't support the largest US carrier (Verizon), anyone who buys it is settling.

What I am claiming is that's a pretty inane assertion. Lots of phones don't work on Verizon. It doesn't mean anyone is settling for them. There are plenty of people who have zero interest in being on Verizon, in spite of the fact they are the largest. And there are plenty of high-end phones made specifically for carriers that aren't Verizon. The Nexus 4 is one of them.

Upvote 0
Verizon already allows phones on their network they don't control the OS updates. The iPhones.

And they'll be releasing Win Phone 8 models that get the OS updates strait from MS.

So why is it that MS and Apple can get phones on Verizon's network that aren't affected by carrier control, and yet Google can't?

Something smells fishy.
Something sure does smell fishy. But on Verizon's part. Why did they hold back GN updates? Why did they insist on sticking their own wallet app in instead of Google's? Why do they insist on controlling the update releases for Android phones?

Upvote 0
Something sure does smell fishy. But on Verizon's part. Why did they hold back GN updates? Why did they insist on sticking their own wallet app in instead of Google's? Why do they insist on controlling the update releases for Android phones?

because it's a Verizon! Multi billion dollar corporation... it's the same as Monsanto or McDonalds. They like manipulation and domination. Verizon and At&t came up with solution to manipulate customers by offering subsidized phone and make customer to play by their rules.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones