• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Why does Oxygen ROM only leave me with 95mb internal memory? And How do flash Custom Partition Table

D

Deleted User

Hey guys,
I have had my HTC Desire since October 2010 and it's a great phone although as everyone is aware the internal memory is very very low. I rooted my Desire with Unrevoked 3 about 2 months ago and i have S-Off I have also experimented with custom ROMs, the ones I have tried are GingerVillain and Oxygen ROM v2. Problem is with stock Desire rom you only have 148mb internal space and when you have a custom ROM you have even less!! Like i had 95mb with gingervillain... Why do custom ROMs leave you with less space? What I want to do is install a new partition table to give me more internal memory, can someone please explain more about this and tell me how to do it, and also how easy is it to revert back to how it was?
Thanks in advance :D

You're not going to reclaim much space that way. Using a custom MTD layout, you can get 20MB back.

What you may need to look at is stripping out the ROM of system apps you do not need or use.

Since you're S-off, you can do this with root explorer (if you have it) and it is quite easy.

If you havent, you will have to go the adb route.

Basically, I recommend cutting the cache partition down to 25MB, then whatever free space you have in system, round that DOWN to the nearest 5MB.

So for 6.95MB, you can save 5MB
for 18.25MB, you can save 15MB

etc etc

If there isnt much you dont use in the rom, maybe just apps2sd+ (a2sd) is the best way through. You can keep your stock rom, but its tricky. See the Apps2sd+ link in my sig. You have to first enable init.d support on the rom. Then flash a2sd

Upvote 0
Mod install location is loosely based around the ability to "move to SD" in froyo. It forces more apps to be installed or moved to the fat partition.

This doesnt move dalvik cache or all of the app. if you mount the fat partition in your PC, apps will not work. Widgets will not work regardless so have to remain on internal memory

Apps2sd+ is a script and it uses an EXT partition on the SD card which doesnt get mounted. Dalvik cache does get moved and it creates more space than the above method.

Upvote 0
There is a quick guide to partitioning in the apps2sd+ faq linked in my Sig earlier.

Failing that LECTER has a video guide linked in his Sig.

What do you want from a Rom? Is sense a must? Teppic74 does a rooted stock with a2sd add on. Or there are desire hd ports like baadnewz that have new sense 2.0 on them

There are also gingerbread roms with no sense like gingervillain

Upvote 0
well I don't care about sense really at all.. however I wouldn't mind the new sense like on the DHD cos that's quite cool.. if you could tell me the best normal sense rom with apps2sd+, the best sense 2.0 rom with apps2sd+, and the best rom with no sense on it (preferably gingerbread) :)

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones