• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Why Root??

Bowslayer

Aug 27, 2010
Let's assume I never plan to use tethering .... I am looking for other reasons to help me decide to root this phone.
I am this / / close to pulling the trigger. With all the links and instructions available here I am not really the slightest bit worried about screwing it up anymore.
What significant improvements/ changes can I expect?. What will different ROMs offer that I can't get with the phone as is?
Thanks in advance for the feedback.

Upvote 0
I see this question allot. And the answer is, well, almost anything. Running a stock OS gives you nothing but what VZW want's your phone to do. Rooting it and deodexing it opens the doors to putting a rom of your choice to change the look, feel, and performance of your phone. Deodexing gives you the option to put themes on your phone to further customize the look of your phone.

Rooting gives you the option to make your phone feel and act the way YOU want it to. Now go root your phone and play with it.

Upvote 0
Let's assume I never plan to use tethering .... I am looking for other reasons to help me decide to root this phone.
I am this / / close to pulling the trigger. With all the links and instructions available here I am not really the slightest bit worried about screwing it up anymore.
What significant improvements/ changes can I expect?. What will different ROMs offer that I can't get with the phone as is?
Thanks in advance for the feedback.

Think of it like this, You power up a computer and log in to a guest account. Once to the computer desktop you can use the computer, but with limited capabilities and use.
That's what stock UNrooted phones are like. The guest account on a computer.

Rooting your device gains you total access to your system also allowing you to install ANY software you want. Think of rooting your device like creating an Administrator account/sign in on a desktop or laptop.
Superuser (Root) = Administrator

All the other replies to your post in this thread are all great examples and reasons to gain root access to your phone/device(s).

Good luck :)

Upvote 0
Ok so I was looking at the extensive list of Apps safe to remove after rooting. Thats a long list!
It would seem that alone would possibly help speed and performance?

if your going to remove apps just be cautious. Have a back up of the aps in case you need to re install them. ....OR YOU COULD TAKE ADVANTAGE OF TiBu AND JUST FREEZE THE BLOAT INSTEAD :) which is my preferred method as well as others.

Upvote 0
Soooo , I installed Titanium Backup, Spare Parts, and Busy box installer. Im gonna do it I swear.
Is it safe to say that Rooted Froyo will run smoother than Stock GB?

I am watching these CM7 topics closely and sounds like the almost Unanimous consensus is that is "The" way to say go? Since I am not a certified techie Ill probably wait for it to come out of Beta. I use my camera and video regularly as well as GPS.

Upvote 0
Ok thanks. As stated this is all new to me but I like to at least somewhat educate myself a little before jumping right in head first.
I Really dont wanna be That Guy. You know the one who screws up his phone up and has to ask about things that are Clearly in the instructions provided.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones