• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Wifi connection problems

fidelandche

Mar 8, 2018
Hi,

I have an issue with connecting to my work wifi. I used to be able to do this, but for some reason when I try to log in to my work WiFi my phone displays either obtaining IP address for ages or IP connection failure (or words to that effect) I have tried forgetting the network and re inputting my details, but this has not done anything. I have reset the wifi router, still nothing, I have tried resetting the network settings on my phone and still nothing, I have turned the phone on and off, nothing. I have tried to modify the IP settings to static, still nothing. Other people who I work with can connect with their android phones and with Iphones. So I am at a lose on what to do now.

Any ideas please.

Do you have also any problems with WiFi networks elsewhere (i.e. at home or a friends home), or is it just with your work WiFi? Trying to determine is this is more of a phone issue or your work WiFi network.
-- If you have any kind of anti-virus/anti-malware app on your phone, try disabling it and see if that makes any difference.
-- Try disabling IPv6 in your work router
-- If your work router has the ability to add a 'guest' network, try setting one up as a temporary test using just the basic, default settings and see if your phone is connecting properly to that guest network. If it does, since you've already tried forgetting/re-adding your current WiFi network, there's just some bad setting tied to the SSID configuration for that network in your phone that forgetting doesn't clear properly. In that case you just need to re-configure a new WiFi network, using a new SSID identifier and password. (a bit pain as you also have to re-establish all the other mobile devices to the new WiFi network, or a major pain if you also have a lot of mobile devices and IoT gadgets).

Upvote 0
Without complete access to change anything in your work router, setting up or changing anything as far as your work WiFi network is a problem.

One thing you might want to try on your phone is go into the Settings >> More menu and use the 'Network settings reset' option. This will reset all network-related settings to their defaults -- this includes all saved WiFi network entries, any Bluetooth pairings, etc. so use this option judiciously.

Upvote 0
Do they have a dual band router with the same SSID set for both 2.4 gHZ and 5 gHZ radios? Do you know if they have a restricted number of DHCP served IP's? Or a short or long lease time on IP addresses? Just trying to think of other reasons why one device can connect to the same WiFi network where others can't.

Reactions: tube517 and mikedt
Upvote 0
Do they have a dual band router with the same SSID set for both 2.4 gHZ and 5 gHZ radios? Do you know if they have a restricted number of DHCP served IP's? Or a short or long lease time on IP addresses? Just trying to think of other reasons why one device can connect to the same WiFi network where others can't.

Not really sure, sorry. But have noticed that sometimes when I leave my home and return, my phone will struggle to reconnect to my home wifi and I have had to manually reconnect.

Upvote 0
Basically, the network is secured for non authorised access,but using the login details which I would use to log on to a PC or laptop, I could login on my phone. Last week I managed to login using a guest login details and once I returned to work after my days off, I tried the guest login details again and I get the same issue. It does make me think it has something to do with my phone as others don't have the same issue. (We are talking around 80 staff)

Upvote 0
Have also noticed that when I'm at home, my phone will struggle with loading pages etc via wifi, even when im sitting right next to the router
This is why I was previously asking if you were having problems elsewhere or just at work. Instead of focusing on your work situation the problem would appear to be with your phone.
Try booting your phone up into its Recovery Mode and selecting the 'wipe cache partition' option. (This won't affect your data and files, the system cache partition is completely separate from the data partition, where all your stuff is stored.)
http://www.hardreset.info/devices/motorola/motorola-moto-g4-2016/recovery-mode/
The wipe itself will only take a few seconds and then just reboot your phone normally and see if there's any improvement. You might also want to install this WiFiAnalyzer app:
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.vrem.wifianalyzer&hl=en
It's not so much a diagnostic/fix utility but more of an informational one. Check the WiFi network you're currently connected to and there are various gauges that monitor things like signal strength and channels.

Reactions: tube517
Upvote 0
Another thing you might want to try is booting your phone up into its Safe Mode:
https://motorola-mobility-en-in.cus...prod_answer_detail/a_id/110838/p/30,6720,9686
You might notice while in Safe Mode apps and things appear to start up slowly but keep in mind that your phone is running the Android OS without any apps pre-loading in the background. If you're not having those same WiFi connectivity issues while in Safe Mode that's an indicator some app you've installed is the cause. Then it becomes a matter of determining just which app. Has this problem been a long-standing one or did it just start occurring recently?

Reactions: Dannydet
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones