• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help wifi issues

anyone having issues with wifi ? seems like it just doesnt work at times. i actually have had to reset my phone to get it working even though i have full signal ( sitting in same room as router ) so i have found myself using 3g but i would like to use the wifi.

There seems to be an issue with wifi with some routers. Mine would connect disconnect connect and sooner or later finally stick, usually later. I changed my router to use WEP and that seems to have helped. I also installed wifi fixer and that at least resets it when it disconnects and other have said it fixed theirs.
I have yet to see an actually fix or reason for it. Maybe Fro yo?

Reactions: tilejoesham
Upvote 0
If you have any other wireless devices connecting to the router there might be some conflicting IP issues. You can try to set "Enable Auto IP" and see if it improves.

Head to Settings > Wireless & Network Settings > WiFi Settings > Hit the Menu Button > Advanced > Enable Auto IP.

this should work because my network is a dynamic ip system so hopefully this works but if not im going to try wifi fixer like the other post stated ty all for insight to my issues

Upvote 0
Yeah MacII, that find seriously helped my WIFI performance, though I beleive it could still be better. I just hope this is a small bug Moto is planning on fixing.

yea same here because it has definitely helped some but i have seen that even with a full signal ( wifi signal ) it sometimes takes forever to load like there isnt internet connection i think im going to try and find something of motorola's forums and if i find anything ill post it here

Upvote 0
I've had problems with mine as well. I only have gotten on wifi once. I've tried using it various places all to no avail. I switched from WEP to WPA and got on for about 10 mins. Then i put it to sleep and have never been able to get back online. It says it connects, but it can't load web pages or move any data at all.

Do you guys think I just got a dud phone and should get it replaced? Or is this a software issue?

Upvote 0
as a network engineer, i'm curious about what exactly 'auto IP' does. anyone know? the one sentence description on the phone says 'use default ip info if DHCP fails,' which is apparently different from static addressing, as that is a separate option.

i mean, on your typical wifi LAN, a DHCP server provides automatic IP config. this, to me, is 'auto ip'. if, for whatever reason, the client can't get a response from DHCP, it defaults to a 169.x.x.x address (or is that just Windows clients).

in any case, a made up 'auto IP' not provided by local DHCP is extremely unlikely to end up with a functional IP/gateway/DNS, no? how could this help?

but apparently it does...which is why i want to understand what it does. where does it get the 'default' config from?

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones